Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HomeBrew Game Music project Software to perform Intelligent Audio Upsampling Volume ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeBrew Game Music project Software to perform Intelligent Audio Upsampling Volume ?

Completely unnecessary backstory:

Around every 5-10 years I get creative for a few weeks and try to bang out a few homebrew computer games. And it seems this cycle of infrequent creativity has come around again. My current issue is with making good quality HD sound tracks for my 'game projects' of which I started around 1989, and mostly finished around 80% of any game before mysteriously wondering off for a few years to play games instead of develop them. Something I've never really been able to explain - all the 80% finished projects lost in time for good. Never quite finished. Ever. Always seems a waste but something I've never been able to fully avoid
    happening as yet.

Anyhow here's my current issue explained:

Messing around lately with some new music production software for some homebrew games projects
    a small issue has emerged.

All these expensive sound sample banks were recorded at shall we say quite a low volume level.

Now my audio apps allow me to set the volume. But not as a batch job, and not intelligently. Increasing the volume
    soon introduces distortion.

So...

My question becomes.... Is there such a thing as an 'intelligent' audio upsampler / volume increaser, that achieves such a thingintelligently and won't introduce distortion as it increases the decibels.

I tried online but found it forced me to first convert the sound to mp3 format, then just did a bog standard volume increase. It was pretty horrible and primarily a completely useless outcome too.

Thinking back to features in old audio mastering tools I think it may be possible to achieve with lots of fine tuning. But only file by file which would take probably many years fine tuning each one of millions of audio samples.

So. Thinking about it's obviously not too far a reach this is a problem that others might have?

I wonder if there's ever been any software that performs this task particularly with batch job options?

Thanks for reading. Anybody that knows of such a program exists would be much appreciated.
    A freeware would be ideal as sticking to a budget is a relevant factor. Including if some manual fine tuning is required per audio sample.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ascensionaquila; 04-02-2020, 03:49. Reason: formatting completely changed in a horibble way from the preview after posting !

Have you tried Normalization in an audio editor? There's a free application called Audacity which will let you utilise normalise functionality. Give it a go. It will allow you to amplify your signals safely (0db and below) without distortion (unless the original audio is already distorted that is).

Comment

thanks dude

playing around normalization makes sense I'll try it out see what happens

Comment

Working...
      X