Wonderful 101 Kickstarter "funded" coming to Switch/Steam and Ps4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
    One issue I see with board games is the progressive move over to app assistants/AI opponents. This is great for people with no friends (I'm using the Descent app) but I actively WANT to have to manually count tokens, flip cards, and work stuff out. Experiencing a tad of burnout from being in front of a screen all the time. :/
    I agree with that, and steer clear of games with that requirement as it's not the point and dates them quickly, e.g. Mansions of Madness 2nd edition (off-topic apologies ...orz).

Comment

Just funded the Pure Platinum Edition. Already put it on eBay for £10,000.

Regards,

spence.77

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
        Kickstarters done by individuals or start-ups is fine, I suppose. I don't think the big established companies like Fantasy Flight have the audacity to put a Kickstarter out.

One issue I see with board games is the progressive move over to app assistants/AI opponents. This is great for people with no friends (I'm using the Descent app) but I actively WANT to have to manually count tokens, flip cards, and work stuff out. Experiencing a tad of burnout from being in front of a screen all the time. :/
        Fantasy Flight are pretty good because they don't use Kickstarter.
        It was weird buying a game from a shop that never went near Kickstarter!

Cool Mini or Not started off as a "hot or not" style website where people could rate each others painted mini figures.
        They expanded to make their own game and now exclusively use the platform to produce games, even though each campaign raises millions. One argument says they should now be big enough to stand on their own, the other says using KS guarantees there is enough interest to at least break even and then add loads of stretchgoals for pledges beyond that amount.

Kickstarter stopped being solely the "kick start" for a small business a long time ago.

Seems a little off for Platinum, but I suppose it means they know there's enough interest in a niche game to warrant the investment in it.
        As eastyy said in the OP, a few companies have got it wrong and had multiple bites of the cherry.
        If a game has reached the suggested minimum funding level (and beyond!), they shouldn't need multiple campaigns.

I'm looking at you R-Type Final 2 and Shenmue III. Did Bloodstained have a few campaigns?

Slightly OT, but I really like app-enhanced games, but app-dependant is a different matter.
        Like Rallyman GT has an app that lists a load of potential tracks, but it's not essential.
        I also have Chronicles of Crime, which is 100% useless without the app. (Great game, though!)

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          Did Bloodstained have a few campaigns?
          Just the one.

Comment

Thanks, I thought it had more, but checked Wikipedia and there was no mention, only that it was the highest grossing campaign until Shenmue III.

Comment

Slightly OT, but I really like app-enhanced games, but app-dependant is a different matter.
              Like Rallyman GT has an app that lists a load of potential tracks, but it's not essential.
              I also have Chronicles of Crime, which is 100% useless without the app. (Great game, though!)
              Exactly. I feel the same about Descent. The app came later, and actually has a couple of meaty IAPs if you love the content (I do!). That said I sometimes wonder if I should just start another game of Fire Emblem: Awakening, instead.

I really liked the look of the new LotR/Middle Earth game until I read how it's exclusively co-op vs. the app. I've had my fingers burned in the past with apps not being maintained and updated for recent versions of Android. Dodonpachi mobile being the main culprit. I loved that game, too.

FFG seem to be steering towards this style with a few of their things. I fear for a potential 3rd Edition of Descent (well, not really because that would further bolster the 2nd Edition).

Okay, back on-topic!

Comment

Looking at those rewards this is surely a blag or a piss take...

I do like the controllers though.

Comment

The Wonderful $1.01m

Comment

a few companies have got it wrong and had multiple bites of the cherry.
                    If a game has reached the suggested minimum funding level (and beyond!), they shouldn't need multiple campaigns.
                    I think that has poisoned the well a bit especially by Mighty no 9 and Unsung story, problem i have is when i see a lot of small creators with there projects they either go the extremely basic pixel art route often with rogue style gameplay which to be honest i am getting a little bit sick of as often its not even decent pixel art or the creators have very little actual experience with making a game and vastly underestimate how much it will cost or how long it will actually take.

Comment

I picked up a copy on WiiU for £1 today so I won't be backing the Kickstarter.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                        That's the best bargain ever.

Comment

Drop the mic if you didn’t already

Comment

I'm kind of expecting the WiiU version will remain the best version as well.

Comment

Absolute bargain.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                                I'm kind of expecting the WiiU version will remain the best version as well.
                                Hopefully the Switch version gets reworked controls. From the impression i got on the wiiu launch most people gave up trying to “get it” and just gave up, myself included.

Comment

Working...
                                X