No announcement yet.

Wonderful 101 Kickstarter "funded" coming to Switch/Steam and Ps4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Already rated in Australia which confirms that, yes, this already exists and was ready so... why the Kickstarter? I'm definitely coming around to those who find this route more than a little dodgy.

Comment

I started thinking about this game and if my memory was right.
      I seemed to remember everyone being pretty excited about it: New IP; finally a new game for the WiiU; Platinum; Viewtiful Joe aesthetics.

The demo didn't wow people, but the full game was better.
      Western publications like Edge and C&VG gave it 6 and 7 out of 10, saying the camera and controls hindered the gameplay.
      Famitsu gave it 39/40.
      Those who clicked with it loved it, but everyone else moved on pretty quickly, leaving poor dataDave to be its champion.
      The Saurian videos were amazing, but out of the reach of mere mortals.

Personally, I've never owned a WiiU first time around and this time, no matter how much I wish for it, I just suck at Platinum Games.

Our first play threads.

So, it's interesting how much attention this remaster is getting, considering so few people bought it originally.
      The main bone of contention in the KS comments is that there is no Xbox version.

So why do you think this is so popular this time around?
      Why do you think all of the upper pledge tiers have gone? They're £253, £386, £575, £771, £1157, £1402, and £1920!

BONUS QUESTION: Hypothetically, if someone turned up at a Bordersdown meetup wearing a W101 jacket they pledged £1k+ for, would you consider them cool or a fool? Asking for a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

Form an orderly queue ladies

Comment

I think it’s popular this time around because these things build up a head of steam as cult favourites over the years that follow their release. Frequently featured in ‘great games that flopped’, ‘most underrated games’ lists and YouTube videos.

It also feels like this has been very well timed. Gaming news is really quiet atm, it’s the calm before the storm of the PS5/XSX hype fest kicking off in a couple of months.

Comment

Yep, it's most ardent defenders really do love it so I imagine that total is heavily represented by fans willing to pay over the odds in support of the game. I absolutely, 101%, unequivically expect it to bomb on release though and public opinion to not shift on the game at all.

In total I've revisited it three or four times so far and the most recent was the most enjoyable but I still don't feel it's more than simply decent and Platinum's original stuff tends to have very limited marketable appeal too. Given how quiet things are the Switch version may make a bit of a splash and is already profitable thanks to all the free money that has been thrown at Platinum for it via KS but by the time the PS4 version hits no-one will be paying attention. They're absolutely spot on avoiding Xbox One as well, wouldn't make a dent.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              Don't forget, a genuine Kickstarter game, Battle Axe, could do with your support and won't get made if it doesn't fund:

Also, it's not on the Kickstarter page, but it's believed that Dangen Entertainment are at least doing the PR for this and a few people have boycotted W101 because of accusations that Dangen haven't paid developers for Fight Knight and Devil Engine:
              Original Story: Dangen Entertainment's interim CEO Dan Stern has publicly outlined a plan for the publisher to set thin…

https://dangenwarning.wordpress.com/
              Thanks for heads up, QC, Battle Axe looks right up my alley and I will definitely be backing it tonight.

Comment

I guess the jacket is fine for collectors but you know if you wear it out the house I’m gonna yell out SHAMONE atcha from across the street

Comment

Out May 19 in the US and May 22 in the EU

Comment

Kickstarter campaign stretch goal?

Comment

Im starting to wonder if their kickstarter was for this office all along.

Comment

Big developments for Platinum Games in 2020!

Probably file for bankrupcy and close down by 2027. Self publishing, new studio etc none of this feels like a good devleopment instead feeling like a beloved studio that often struggles very hard to commercially appeal has become overly ambitious.

Comment

A new studio for a 'games as live services' division. Eeuw...

Comment

So, Who Owns The Wonderful 101 Now? PlatinumGames Refuses To Say

Comment

The article says that's normal for a Japanese company and maybe it is so this could be just cultural difference but it seems like a really weird question to avoid.

Comment

Surely they own it? Otherwise it'd have to be Nintendo who Platinum would then pay as a publisher to rerelease their own made game? But I wasn't under the impression Nintendo originally commissioned Platinum to make the game, rather it was Platinum pursuing a relationship with Nintendo during the WiiU days so it'd seem weird for Nintendo to own it and then also be okay with it appearing on rival platforms.

Comment

Working...
                                X