No announcement yet.

Wonderful 101 Kickstarter "funded" coming to Switch/Steam and Ps4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of curiosity, how is this not a regular occurrence? Is it the particular shipping method they chose?

Comment

It's less to do with the method and more just the fact they sent it from the US. Certain retailers will pre-pay customs charges to avoid this scenario, but it's uncommon to say the least.

My copy just arrived today - and yes, I had to pay the extra. Let's not even start on the backer-exclusive slipcase.

Comment

Some Kickstarter campaigns have enough left over to make a deal with EU distributors, so that they can avoid these issues.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
          Let's not even start on the backer-exclusive slipcase.
          Is it ****e?

I did back the Kickstarter originally, however looking at their post regarding sending to anyone outside of the US, it was basically you might get charged import tax and we don't care. So I cancelled and ordered from Base for £32, not got it yet but too busy with Last of Us 2 anyway

Comment

They should’ve sorted the import fee issue for sure. It’s not enough to just say ‘you’ll be liable for import tax’. If people don’t import regularly they’re unlikely to realise just how much is going to be tacked on.

It’s basically a surefire way of ending up with a load of unhappy customers. They should’ve either sorted EU distributors to prevent the issue, or made it really really clear how much extra would be tacked on for EU backers at the checkout stage. Like clearly give the actual approximate figure they’d have to pay. They handled it really badly IMO.

Backer exclusive slipcase is a treat I bet - my Shenmue 3 one looked like it had been printed out on an inkjet from PC World

Comment

You may note that the moving hologram thing (you know, like you used to get on rulers as a kid) isn't centre-aligned, or straight.

editing to clarify: not surprised in any way about the customs bit (and find it a pretty clutching "news" item), and the slipcase is a total non-issue, but I am a little disappointed with the lack of transparency, and going to Kickstarter in the first place. I'd love for Platinum to be more independent, and it makes me sad that they're giving folks reasons to doubt them.
              Last edited by fuse; 29-06-2020, 16:21.

Comment

Thanks for posting, looks like I didn't miss out on much!
                Back of it looks ok.
                Not a fan of lenticular covers or sleeves in general, most that I have in my collection are so dark that it makes the artwork look worse.

You may note that the moving hologram thing (you know, like you used to get on rulers as a kid) isn't centre-aligned, or straight.

editing to clarify: not surprised in any way about the customs bit (and find it a pretty clutching "news" item), and the slipcase is a total non-issue, but I am a little disappointed with the lack of transparency, and going to Kickstarter in the first place. I'd love for Platinum to be more independent, and it makes me sad that they're giving folks reasons to doubt them.

Comment

Lenticular. That was the word I was looking for.

Comment

That’s sloppy, but it’s still 100 times better than the Shenmue 3 one.

Comment

Hmmmmm yeaaah I’m casting doubt on that second paragraph. It would have still come without Kickstarter but why not milk some fans it’s easy money on scamstarter.

Comment

That's the thing with Kickstarter, you've got to make the backers feel loved.
                        KS exclusive stretch goals and the like are great, but if you upset the backers, you're done for.

Most backers factor in delays and shrug it off, but when something that was Kickstarted ends up in retail before the backers have had their copies, that's when it kicks off.

In this case, it's gone to retail just after backers got their copies, but a lot cheaper.

Even a wonky lenticular cover can't save them!

Comment

Kickstarter these days feels like the gambling tables where the dealer always wins. At this point I feel no compulsion to back anything anymore and if anything it feels like established companies shouldn't be allowed on it.

Comment

Yup I agree, some small indie dev kind of see it but some massive dev yeah get stuffed.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                              Kickstarter these days feels like the gambling tables where the dealer always wins. At this point I feel no compulsion to back anything anymore and if anything it feels like established companies shouldn't be allowed on it.
                              Not sure that I'd go that far personally, but I certainly appreciate the sentiment. Far too many businesses are taking the p1ss with the crowdfunding concept at this point.

As things currently stand, I'm happy enough to back things for small-ish items like books and music. I feel like that stuff works on the crowdfunding model.

Backing full-scale game development via crowdfunding though? That's an absolute hell naw, and I say that as somebody who backed Shovel Knight - one of the few positive examples of it.

Comment

It's less to do with the method and more just the fact they sent it from the US. Certain retailers will pre-pay customs charges to avoid this scenario, but it's uncommon to say the least.

My copy just arrived today - and yes, I had to pay the extra. Let's not even start on the backer-exclusive slipcase.
                                The issue for me is the fact that they were planning on selling EU/PAL copies of the game because they ask your preference. So if they plan on doing this then they should have a EU/PAL distributer to ship these versions out.

The fact that they chose not to do this for backers is pretty bad, they must have been aware of the pitfall.

I got my import charge today and I won’t be paying it. The game can go back to them and I’ll be contacting at some point to say I want my game or my money back.

Comment

Working...
                                X