Let's talk about Golf games. An unsung hero of video games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk about Golf games. An unsung hero of video games

Back in the day golf games were a thing. You go the arcades and you would see one. On your consoles, you had them. You had choices too. Konami would dabble. Sega too. Home computers would have a bin bag full. EA would dominate for a while. The gameplay was generally all the same, but somehow fun. Set up your shot. Consider your ball's lie, the wind strength and direction, and so on. Then it was usually the 3 button tap shot method that go your ball flying through the skies/trees. I miss them. Everybody's Golf is the closest thing we have today.

I don't even play golf or like watching it on TV, but these games had a formula that struck a chord.

Let's take a look and chat about some fine golf games.

I recently played Neo Turf Masters on NeoGeo again and the nostalgia is flowing...
    Last edited by hudson; 06-02-2020, 19:25.

Turf Masters and Golfmania *close thread*

Comment

Tended not to play golf games as it was a genre I felt didn't fit that well on early game systems, There where a few gems, Amiga had old Sensible Golf.

Of all the SNES Golf games I played [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]The Irem Major Title / Skin Game is one of the best.[/COLOR]

There is one golf game on SNES with an actually golf controller and there is next to nothing on YouTube for it Lasabirdie: Get in the Hole (レーザーバーディー ゲットインザホール). As the game doesn't run without the controller.

Pictures of it here: https://twitter.com/s_potato_nagoya/...54286056812545

Comment

I was thinking about it the other day and I reckon Neo Turf Masters is probably the best game that has ever been created. I can't think of anything else that excels in every single way like that. Presentation is flawless, graphics are amazing, music is superb. It's a game that anyone can pick up and play, but then has several tiers of mastery above that - figuring out when to use slice/hook to curve round stuff, then figuring out when to apply backspin, then super pro stuff like bouncing the ball across concrete paths. And the two player mode! It's criminal that it never got a sequel.

Comment

Get yourself an old Nokia with Golf Tour on it!

Comment

i always had a soft spot for Arnold Palmer's Golf on the mega drive., simple and enjoyable.

Comment

PGA Golf III on the Mega Drive -Best Golf game ever made

Best Handheld and Arcade Golf Game - Neo Turf Masters

Comment

Yeah, like everyone else, Turf Masters is a brilliant game. One of my favourite sports games. The shrunken down NeoGeo Pocket version is nice too, although rendered a bit redundant these days for me by what a good phone game Turf Masters is. Back when I used a Nexus 5, I purchased a NeoGeo emulator from the store for the sole purpose of playing a ROM of Turf Masters.

When I moved to iPhone I really missed it - but then they released an official version of the game for a few pounds in the App Store! It's basic, no frills on top of the original - a good thing - and controls perfectly well on a touchscreen.

That's actually really interesting regarding Lasabirdie: Get In The Hole. I've never heard of that. It looks pretty serious, like one of those things they have in golf shops to measure your swing.

Comment

Yes, a big thumbs up for Irem Skins/Major Title and Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf!

Thanks for teaching us about Lasabirdie. Very interesting.

I found a video of it...

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                    Thanks for teaching us about Lasabirdie. Very interesting.

I found a video of it...
                    Nice first time I've seen it in action, looks a lot of fun, seems like you have to properly swing the thing as well. Might try and get myself one at some point, Amazon Japan, prices were very pricey, so suspect they were silly money sellers. Quite a lot of components to it as well.

Comment

I had forgot about Sensible Golf. It's a game I never got around to playing. Until now! > Play in browser

Comment

I'd say MD PGA2 but that was polys so probs doesn't count.

I'd have to say Leaderboard on Speccy and C64. Very impressive for its time and still a decent game.

Comment

Never got on with Irem Skins, for some reason. Pity, as a very nicely presented game. Will deffo stick it on the SNES Mini at some point.

Comment

Let's face it, golf games are the unsung heroes of gaming.

Comment

With the 2D Metroidvania revolution that's been happening in the past few years, would you buy a 2D golf game driven by the POWAH of today's consoles if done well? I say hell yes.

Comment

Working...
                              X