Commando, Mercs and Capcom's Legacy of the 2D FPS to War Simulations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commando, Mercs and Capcom's Legacy of the 2D FPS to War Simulations

Progenitor to Resident Evil Mercs 3D on the Nintendo 3DS...and that time attack mode on the classic Cube Resident Evil.

I really wanted to discuss 2D Vertical Multi-directional Shooters in general like Commando, Cabal, Saigon, Lost Patrol and so forth, basically authentic "War Recreations or Simulations".

Rambo III on Genesis as a movie adaptation segue way, and more recent strategy hits like the outstanding Introversion with Defcon and others...

Just starting a discussion...feel free to nominate and discuss your own favorites from any software company or platform...

There's a lovely game on the GBA. Medal of Honour: Infiltrator. Loads of different weapons and scenarios. Check it out

Comment

The music in Commando! It's going to be in my head all day now 🤣

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
        The music in Commando! It's going to be in my head all day now 藍
        Get yer finger out and kick the bot.

Comment

Thanks Charles will check it it out when I have some downtime...good to see we are on the same page.With best, wishes. Cabal was an inspirational 2D side scrolling game by Taito I think or was it Konami?3D sprite scaling like never before in the arcade unable to be replicated...

Supremacy, Millennium 2.2, Deuteros and other games need to return in my opinion like the great French version of Frank Herbert's Dune on Amiga and Sega CD...

Faithfully and with warm wishes

CAPCOM USA
          Last edited by CAPCOM; 07-02-2020, 08:40.

Comment

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post
            Cabal was an inspirational 2D side scrolling game by Taito I think or was it Konami?
            Cabal, and the 1990 follow-up Blood Bros., were both developed by TAD Corporation.

Taito published Cabal in North America (Fabtek published it in Europe).
            Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 07-02-2020, 18:34.

Comment

I like the Shock Troopers games for the Neo Geo. Bloody Wolf for the PC Engine is worth playing. Last Alert, also on the PCE, is pretty good.

Heavy Barrel on the NES is a must-play for fans of the genre.

Comment

The soundtrack to Last Alert is japanese CD-Rom at its 80s best.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                  I like the Shock Troopers games for the Neo Geo. Bloody Wolf for the PC Engine is worth playing. Last Alert, also on the PCE, is pretty good.

Heavy Barrel on the NES is a must-play for fans of the genre.
                  Couldn't find Last Alert. I found a game called Red Alert - was last Alert called something else in Japan?

Comment

Can't say I ever cared for the original Commando tbh. MERCS is a different story - I love that game, even if it is rock-hard. I've never played Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3 though.

Shock Troopers is a classic. The sequel, not so much.

My personal all-time favourite in this genre would probably be Asura AKA Secret Command/Commando AKA Rambo: First Blood Part II on the Sega Master System. Pretty much the first game of this type that I ever played and subsequently the one I have the fondest memories of.
                    Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 08-02-2020, 15:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                      Couldn't find Last Alert. I found a game called Red Alert - was last Alert called something else in Japan?
                      Yeah, it's 'Red Alert' in the West. A decent game that doesn't get mentioned very often.

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                      Can't say I ever cared for the original Commando tbh. MERCS is a different story - I love that game, even if it is rock-hard.
                      I remember liking Ikari Warriors more than Commando. I really liked how you could get in tanks. The Amstrad port was pretty good, so I played that a lot until I could easily go through it.

I'd rather play Commando these days though; I like the quick pace of the action and all the set pieces.
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 08-02-2020, 15:04.

Comment

Thank you for that information NuEclipse on TAD Corporation,

I always felt Cabal was an underrated gem, available on the Amiga without Mode7 & sprite scaling effects, I played it in an arcade in France in Normandy with my brother in two player, and it was an amazing experience. Does anyone know if it is available through MAME or emulated on a system at present?

I would really like to play it as authentically as possible again...suggestions very welcome.

Commando is also my favourite, Saigon on Acorn/BBC (1988 Tynesoft) is worth looking into for its unique approach published during the 1980s. Lost Patrol was an amazing experience NAM emulated by Manchester's great Ocean Software.

Does anyone know any other games like it on 16 bit or 32 bit home computers specifically Atari Falcon but more realistically Acorn Archimedes? The greatest "Home Computer" of all time, and the one I learned to code on...

Ocean Software needs to be reborn...

Who would you consider are the ten greatest UK developer studios in 2020?

Last edited by CAPCOM; 12-02-2020, 11:12.

Comment

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post

I always felt Cabal was an underrated gem, available on the Amiga without Mode7 & sprite scaling effects, I played it in an arcade in France in Normandy with my brother in two player, and it was an amazing experience. Does anyone know if it is available through MAME or emulated on a system at present?

I would really like to play it as authentically as possible again...suggestions very welcome.
                          Both Cabal and Blood Bros. should be easily emulatable on MAME as things currently stand - they were the last time I played them (a long time ago, admittedly).

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                            Both Cabal and Blood Bros. should be easily emulatable on MAME as things currently stand - they were the last time I played them (a long time ago, admittedly).
                            Very much appreciated my very own blood brother...Nu-Eclipse.

MAME Top 25 list please from reliable expert long time posters and NTSC UK originals?

My choice I will go with Mercs by Capcom...actually no, Area 88 plus Carrier Airwing on a synchronized play-through back to back on expert to gamer setting.

SNES Original is still magnificent and was used for the UK Gaming Championships way back in the 1990s through Virgin and Future Publishing...oh the memories...Super Play still the greatest 16 bit console magazine of all time, I see they did a special anniversary issue and Games Radar had a supplement with The Times before Christmas.

Mean Machines was even better for kickstarting the console wave in the UK...CVG it all goes back to the beginning with Acorn User. What was your very first computer everyone? What did you learn to code on and in?

Future Publishing was founded by Chris Anderson now of TED and the Sapling Foundation who I have met...

Anyone have any thoughts or recollections on their favourite magazines from yesteryear? Games- X the weekly one, CU Amiga, Amiga Power and Amiga Format the Holy Trinity...

I will start a magazine thread...My favourites are obvious. NTSC UK now Borderdown is the most professionally run and friendly gaming forum on the planet.

Kind regards,

CAPCOM
                            Last edited by CAPCOM; 12-02-2020, 12:39.

Comment

You've got to have WARDNER on that list. It's just a great game and very relaxing to play once you learn its formula.

(Arcade feels miles better than the MD version due to its sound effects. MD feels like wet cabbage but it's still pretty decent, I'd say).

Comment

Working...
                              X