Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magazine and Game Publishers of Days of Futures Past

Do we have a magazine thread?

What was your favourite magazine articles and reviews of days gone by and why? Games-X, CU Amiga, Amiga Power, Your Sinclair, Commodore Format, Total, Sega Saturn User, Official Magazines like Nintendo Magazine System to Mean Machines, The One and Amiga Action then beyond...always recall the demo disks on Amiga and Atari magazines, like getting free PD Games and Demos each month. Was joyous. My Father always got me stuff each week and I am eternally grateful to him for being such a fantastic Father and Dad to me.

Here are some that stick out for me

Lastly Z-Out, the sequel to X-Out and a computerised R-Type although not as good as R-Type III on SNES or Einhander on Sony Playstation, getting 90% in Amiga Format by Rainbow Arts, a Software Publisher not talked about enough these days...

Rainbow Arts back catalogue was impressive became THQ...intro music to Z-Out is amazing modern masterpiece. Sonically incredible on the Commodore synthesizer...

Your memories and favourites?
    Last edited by CAPCOM; 16-02-2020, 04:29.

I remember really liking C&VG back in the '80s. It was a fun magazine created by enthusiasts who had a good sense of humour.

ACE was an '80s magazine that offered a more highbrow look at gaming and technology. It really appealed to my geeky/nerdy side.

The Games Machine was a well-made magazine full of interesting content. I always liked the cover art.

Mean Machines was the must-have magazine for console gamers. Written by likeable enthusiasts, it was an immensely fun read.

Super Play is easily one of my all-time favourite magazines. I loved how it felt like a fanzine but with a very professional quality. The cover art was always attractive and inviting, the features -- import news, anime, cool gadgets etc -- were really interesting, and the overall air of enthusiasm was inspiring.

GameFan was probably the best American magazine. It was packed with all sorts of content that made it a very engrossing read. The cover art was always striking, and the overall air of fun made it a must-have every month.

I remember feeling that EDGE magazine represented a change in the British games industry, when companies started taking things more seriously and standards were raised. I loved how the magazine really showed off all sorts of new tech in a thorough and exciting way. The early years of EDGE really highlighted how technology was advancing rapidly into a new, exciting era that would define the future of gaming.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 13-02-2020, 14:00.

Comment

I've bought almost every video game magazine there is, the best by miles was Super Play. Honorable mentions also to Zzap and Retro Gamer

Comment

I was a fan of Home Computing Weekly. Marked the dawn of the UK gaming industry on home micros, and besides you can’t beat a good BASIC listing:

Progressed to Sinclair User but started going off it with all that Kamikaze Bear bollocks:

Then I discovered Your Sinclair which went through somewhat of a purple patch including Crap Game Corner (the best!) and the excellent Magnificent 7 covertapes:

Been mentioned already but Ace was, er, Ace. I used to drool over reviews of It Came From The Desert and Shadow of the Beast. I couldn’t believe how amazing Amiga games looked and it was a while until I actually saw one for real and got to hear its incredible audio. This was the first issue I bought, my decision to do so helped no end by the free Impossible Mission tape that I even brought round my C64 and BBC owning mates’ houses to see how they differed from the Speccy version:

Fast forward a few years and I eventually got the machine I sought after for so long, an Amiga A500. And for me there was no better mag out there than Amiga Format (although CU Amiga came a close second). The geek in me loved not just the gaming coverage, which was extensive, but all the serious/productivity reviews and articles as well. Was a “serious” magazine that was able to still appeal to the masses thanks to its excellent and informative journalistic style. They don’t make ‘em like they used to:

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          GameFan was probably the best American magazine.
          Revisionist traitor spotted! seemingly weighing popular opinion more than truth and pandering to popularism in a revisionist plot.

EGM! was hard to get hold of. But well worth it. I think Smiths only had 1 maybe 2 copies on each month. And most months somebody got it first.

I never got to own my own copy. As these were the days before TV promoted the idea of pocket money. Once I found 70p on the ground though and would afford GamesX from Tesco. Not much content. But great for the poor majority. Unlike Mr Fancy Pants with every magazine every month staring down from his Ivory town on the masses of hard working low paid people reading GamesX only. You and your fathers gold mine paying for your games interests. Tut. One day that Gold mine will run dry you know.

Comment

Originally posted by ascensionaquila View Post
            Revisionist traitor spotted! seemingly weighing popular opinion more than truth and pandering to popularism in a revisionist plot.
            Yeah, I did betray EGM once I found GameFan. Although, a friend bought EGM and I'd look through it.

Once I found 70p on the ground though and would afford GamesX from Tesco.

Such a great mag that wasn't around for long. Only cost 60p at one point. Even featured Neo Geo games.

You and your fathers gold mine paying for your games interests. Tut. One day that Gold mine will run dry you know.
            My dad is a bit like Wario, but without all the money.

Comment

Working...
            X