Hasbro to revive Tiger Electronics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hasbro to revive Tiger Electronics

It took me a couple of websites to shake the notion of a very early April's Fool, but Hasbro is really bringing back the Tiger Electronics handheld "games" with a modern-era LCD at a $14.99 price point each. Yes, these will still be single-game devices, and Hasbro are saying that every new game has "been inspired" by the original '90s release.
    THe new Tiger handhelds will launch this fall and the launch lineup will include The Little Mermaid, Transformers Generations 2, X-Men Project X, and Sonic 3.
    They are technically available on preorder at Gamestop, but the website is currently not working.

Oh man i cant wait to play a tiger handheld game....

said nobody ever.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
      said nobody ever.
      Or probably everyone, considering how long-lived and how many of those have been churned out in the '90s. I mean, they are less advanced than Game & Watch but almost every major "normal" videogame franchise got the Tiger treatment, and Konami even put out their own version.

Comment

These were always so alluring, and yet also so consistently disappointing.

This probably makes sense though. Rather than the kid market of old, this is presumably at least partly aimed at the bearded adult nerd market (I speak as a member), who now have the buying power to buy up every model to complete sets etc. They could even do limited edition variants and blind boxes and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          These were always so alluring, and yet also so consistently disappointing.
          Pretty much the correct summary of it. Tiger Electronics handhelds were at best a distant second to the juggernaut of Game & Watch back in the day (even with the IP licensing power) and they haven't aged at all well whereas G&W handhelds have retained their charm and cult appeal to some degree.

I'm not sure that we'll see too much more of this Tiger Electronics revival beyond this batch.

Comment

They were awful, Always considered them fake games

Comment

I had one that was excellent. A game where you played as a gun on a battleship shooting down planes. Well, I played it a lot. It was simple and much more addictive than the platformers and fighters based on more lofty IPs.

edit:

Comment

Oh man i cant wait to play a tiger handheld game....

said nobody ever.
                My family had a few of them. I remember liking Gauntlet the most. Simon's Quest was just about OK for 5-10 minutes.

Something like the tabletop Firefox was much better.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                  I had one that was excellent. A game where you played as a gun on a battleship shooting down planes. Well, I played it a lot. It was simple and much more addictive than the platformers and fighters based on more lofty IPs.

edit:
                  That's not a Tiger Electronics game, dude.

That's one of the many cheap knock-offs that were several levels below (see Systema also).

Comment

I know, I know. I think my point was that the simplicity made it more enjoyable than an LCD version of, say, Street Fighter 2, which was just too stripped down.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                      They were awful, Always considered them fake games
                      Pretty much how I felt. The prices on some of them were a lot for what you actually got, I preferred the home table top stuff like munchman or Astro wars or if we were going out I’d take my tomytronic sky attack 3D and find somewhere light to play. The tiger ones were cheap n nasty, my only exposure to them was playing on a few at my friends house.

Maybe these are a useful learning aid to show kids of today just how crap portable gaming was before the game boy saved us all lol

Comment

or if we were going out I’d take my tomytronic sky attack 3D and find somewhere light to play.
                        I bought Sky Attack and Thundering Turbo really cheap around 12 years ago -- and they still impressed me.

My brother had a few Tiger handhelds, and I remember Gauntlet being just about OK. Simon's Quest looked OK but was very basic. The B&W graphics were really simple/dull, so it's shame they couldn't inject some colour into the games.

I have loads of tabletop machines. Firefox F-7 is still pretty decent. My favourite one is Scramble, which plays like the coin-op.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 21-02-2020, 16:11.

Comment

The best thing about the Tiger handhelds was the artwork around the edges of the screen.

Comment

I know, I know. I think my point was that the simplicity made it more enjoyable than an LCD version of, say, Street Fighter 2, which was just too stripped down.

Comment

Working...
                            X