VR Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budget Cuts Yes
    I love this. Sneaking around using the teleport gun never gets boring. Not many people know that you can reach through the open gates only partially in order to obtain an item from the other end of the room (instead of fully committing your body to the jump). You can probably stab through them as well for remote kills. Yet to try that.

Thumper Yes
    Awesome with room scale, being able to crawl under the rail like it's some kind of huge snooker table feature running through your room.

BallisticNG Yes
    More of a WipeOut game than WipeOut Omega. I like loading in the classic WipeOut ships with a Prodigy soundtrack. It's like being inside a PSOne game. Must load this up soon to see if it's been further optimised (some weather effects were affecting frame rates).

Comment

Beat Sabre. Vive. Yes! Epicness. Plus loads of music to download and play.

Comment

I tried out Oculus Link today and the performance isn't great, which is weird, because I have a pretty decent spec - a good i5, GTX1060... Not sure just how much I'm going to use it.

The main thing is that it's made me reflect, again, on how janky the PC VR experience is, compared to PSVR or Quest. PC users who are accustomed to the platform tend not to realise that they've internalised sooo many little foiables and issues with it. The PSVR and Quest are light-years ahead in this area.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          I tried out Oculus Link today and the performance isn't great, which is weird, because I have a pretty decent spec - a good i5, GTX1060... Not sure just how much I'm going to use it.

The main thing is that it's made me reflect, again, on how janky the PC VR experience is, compared to PSVR or Quest. PC users who are accustomed to the platform tend not to realise that they've internalised sooo many little foiables and issues with it. The PSVR and Quest are light-years ahead in this area.
          your running similar spec to me, ive got a 6gb 1060 and an decent i7 and i get pretty good results on most games, (things like Super hot, Beat sabre and Gorn run flawlessly) where as more intensive games require a bit of tinkering. steam VR has some really good options to get the best out of your games an its well worth a tinker if your not getting good results.

The tinkering aspect i think pc users are used to, the bump in resolution and the improved motion controls on PC really do make the PC vr a very cool experience once set up right.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
            an decent i7
            Apparently this is one of the issues; the i7 is much better than the i5 under certain conditions and supposedly this is one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post

This is suprising to read as online people make out that PSVR is janky crap one compared to PC.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                This is suprising to read as online people make out that PSVR is janky crap one compared to PC.
                It's a bit of both... Kinda?

Okay, so part of the problem is that when you've got the headset on (on either platform) you can't see your TV/monitor, and you can't see your controller(s).

The PS4 resolves this by having a version of the console's dash visible in the monitor; it's a bit blurry but you can read it. Additionally, most of the game experiences have always-on elements which allow you to see where the controllers are.

The Oculus Quest is self-contained, and that means that all of the config is based in the headset, and the tracking also shows the controllers at all times.

The Oculus Link/Quest, on the other hand, puts you in this virtual homespace with its own menu. Some options can only be accessed on desktop, not within the menu. You can access a "virtual desktop" to do this, but it's clunky to use. Additionally, the controllers are often wrong; i.e. the games don't quite standardise how they display them, and as the Link is new, the diagrams often show the Oculus Touch controllers, which are different in shape to the Link controllers (the button positions differ). That's a problem when you're in experiences where the controllers are actually shown onscreen, as there's a cognitive dissonance there which is, for lack of a better term, "unsettling". Additionally, sometimes the UI buttons are hard to reach/navigate when seated... There's just loads of little problems. These things are all "filed off" in the Quest experience.

Additionally, the homespace on the Link has a tutorial for that I can't finish because it bugs me to log into Facebook, but I don't have an FB account, won't have one, and I just have an Oculus account. So it bugs me to do that every time I boot it up. I wish I could just turn the bloody homespace off; it offers nothing to the experience other than taking time to load.

There's also another thing, but this isn't so much Oculus's fault - the Quest and PSVR are on single-purpose machines. On PC, I have to close everything before I boot up VR, and any notifications etc. seem to have a noticeable performance hit.

Now, once you wrangle it right, the PC experience is likely definitive, because the hardware is clearly the most powerful... But again, that's fine for the enthusiast but no good for the mainstream user. The PSVR has some tracking issues and the hardware is weaker, but it does the absolute best it can with what they had to work with, and the actual games are fantastic.

Comment

Played some Arizona Sunshine with a friend last night and it's brilliant.
                  Love finding all the great weapons and trying them out on the zombies. You're spoilt for choice most of the time.
                  There was a section where we set off an alarm and stood at the end of a corridor, just unloading clip after clip on the waves of enemies.
                  Got to the mine, but there's only one torch. The glowstick barely does anything, but it's good for raving with.

The tunnel sections in the dark are pretty stressful, but because you're with a mate, also very funny.
                  We were trying to skank headshots before each other.

You think you look like a badass, but you look like a freak with broken arms, but it's so much fun.

Comment

Has anyone played Killing Floor? Looks intriguing, but nobody talks about it.

The double pack is £15.99 at the moment:

Comment

I've got an i7 so presumably it's a factor in why I haven't experienced any issues in terms of how the visuals run. With the Cosmos I draw my own play area boundary around me and then it projects a grid wall if I get too close to the edges when I'm moving which is handy. I can flip the visor up to see the room around me too but also double clicking the menu button on the right hand controller switches the display to showing a low res live feed of my real surroundings which is handy even though the picture is poor, just a small quality of life handy bit.

Cosmos has had a lot of complaints about tracking and I've been using the beta firmware and have had little issue using it. Sometimes it's jittery for a second if I've had my hands out of view for an extended period of time but broadly it tracks accurately and seems to second guess putting my hand behind my back pretty well too. As much as various displays on PC are better than PSVR I think all of them are so close to your eyes that the experience is broadly similar as in you can see the pixels leading to a softish image and the field of view is too narrow across the board, every VR helmet needs to double their field of view to get rid of the tunnel vision in the future.

Comment

That's what I don't like more than anything else... Binocular vision. :/ I have to move my head to look at anything.

These Fresnel lenses are garbage as well. The PSVR ones are miles better.

Comment

I'd only done brief bursts as SJr2 was ill the other night making VR a bad choice when listening out for her but with things settled I put proper time into:

Beat Saber
                          I described this to the missus and it rightly sounded naff but it really does deserve every bit of praise it gets. It's so simple but absolutely nails the responsiveness and convincing feel of the sabers whilst also making you feel like an absolute legend when you're getting it right. I have no chance of Jedi mastering the high difficulties but this is the strongest VR title I've done to date with ease.

Comment

Beat Saber is NEVER on offer

Comment

Played some more Arizona Sunshine last night. It's so good I'm going to get all the DLC and my mate is getting the Aim controller.

It's fun taking your time popping the domes of zeds, but when it hits the fan, you're frantically trying to reload, but dropping clips and swapping weapons and just acting like future food and panicking.

The game is actually really well made. The guns are hella accurate, the locations are fun and it's a great little adventure.
                              The other player looks really jank most of the time and that's the only thing that lets it down, but also makes it funny.

I did a shot where I popped a cap through two windows. Beautiful.

Comment

Tried a couple of bits but most of it was either a bit naff or too wonky, chief being the Westworld Awakening game which bad mapping but that's likely it not being calibrated for Cosmos. Just 7 days till Alyx though - is it better than Beat Saber?

Comment

Working...
                                X