VR Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    Mini Motor Racing X - An incredibly basic racer though because it's so clean looking the 3D effect is solid. Most notably it's weirdly one of the few games to give me some sense of sickness feeling. I honestly couldn't say why as even games like Alyx in full locomotion didn't hit that fast but it was a tidy reminder as to why VR continues with its hurdles.

Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - Procrastinated on this one long enough, bounded through to halfway through World 2 and even though it's a fuller game than Playroom it feels like it's still going to be a similar length. It seems an easy game too but just so damned joyous. Is it Mario tier? No, it blatantly isn't. But it is ruddy wonderful and the VR perspective is amazingly well done making it clear within the first level or two that this is clearly one of PSVR's best games.
    Had Mini Motor Racing X for a while since a sale, but it's on the Hard Drive of Shame.
    Did you play in first or third-person?
    I liked that it felt a bit like Micro Machines or RC Pro AM in third-person.

Astro Bot is astonishing.
    Personally, I prefer it to Mario, but I'm glad both exist and inspire each other.

I'm actually glad you've almost liked something at last, you moaning old man, Neon!

Comment

I tried each of the views in MMRX, the top down RC style view is definitely the harder one. You still perform decent but the game is infinitely easier from first person or hovering over the vehicle. The third person hover view is a good one as you have decent views of the tracks but the little chibi style race cars look so chunky and like you could grab them.

I knew after Playroom I'd enjoy Rescue Mission. I think the difficulty is my only gripe with the game because it's very much on the low end, like Nintendo's Yoshi games more than the Mario ones. If it were more difficult I can imagine how tense things could feel with the perspective added as well

Comment

I'd agree on the challenge aspect, but it's more the experience and the new toys with each section that's the joy.
        I unlocked all of the challenge asteroids and worked my way through those after completion and some of those are rock solid!
        I would say if the whole game was that tough, it wouldn't be the joy to play it actually is.

Comment

Has anyone played the archery game in The Lab? It's so satisfying.
          If not, do it now.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post

Has anyone played the archery game in The Lab? It's so satisfying.
            If not, do it now.
            Yep. One of my favourites. That Xortex (shmup) is the best, though.

The slingshot one is lots of fun, too.

Comment

The Climb - Hard work and not because of the VR experience, it's compatibility with Quest 2 doesn't seem to be the greatest and reading around it seems common for some older Quest 1 titles to have issues with Quest 2 which is frankly very poor given we're hardly talking 'old' here, just 4 years. Still, I have the sequel installed so being new it should be seamless and a better experience all round.

Comment

I have been playing The Climb 2 and I find it incredible. I know I'm in my sitting room and yet my legs get wobbly at the sense of height. I feel vertigo kicking in when I stand close to an edge. And it looks so beautiful. It's truly gorgeous. The game is really simple - it would be straight out dull on a normal game system but, in VR, it's fantastic. It's my favourite VR experience so far.

I was actually going to get the first too because I like it so much so I'm disappointed to hear about the compatibility issues - what's wrong with it?

I have also played through Myst VR. This one is really interesting for a few reasons. The main one being that I am so familiar with this game so I have a very direct frame of reference and the difference between seeing somewhere on a screen and actually standing in it is immense. Everything is so big. Visually not quite as accomplished as The Climb 2 but still looks pretty nice. Interestingly, I expected it to be RealMyst in VR and it's not. Looks like it has been built from the ground up for VR. Some things, like moving stuff up past waist level or replacing the live action with 3G characters, make obvious sense but it looks like every asset has been remade too. Moving around has a teleport system that took me a while to get used to. You can switch to free roam like a normal game but I instantly felt nauseous when I used that. Curious now about how other games handle that kind of movement.

Also been playing Beat Saber (loads of fun) and Rez (looks great but actually a little disappointing in that it's a bit too easy in VR and doesn't engage all that much).

Overall, the Quest 2 has impressed me.

Comment

It suffers from crashing a lot, to the point your progress can be outright blocked. I had wondered why it was so awkward to buy originally, I first wanted to get Lone Echo as the upcoming sequel looks great, but it seems like despite being big releases they don't get updated when newer hardware iterations come out so something about the Quest 2 causes them issues.

On the flip side, another week or so and it looks like the current version of Beat Saber will be cracked by the 'unicorns'. Having rolled back to an older version I've enjoyed the extra tracks but it'll be nice to have it without the glitches that rollback causes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    Moving around has a teleport system that took me a while to get used to. You can switch to free roam like a normal game but I instantly felt nauseous when I used that. Curious now about how other games handle that kind of movement.
                    They tend to offer those choices; some games will do things like darken the edges of the display in free-move mode, as this can reduce nausea for some people.

When I first got my PSVR, I found myself getting a bit queasy playing WipEout VR; I spent a couple of evenings powering through with everything cranked up to max, that and RAW DATA, and these days I never get the VR motion sickness anymore apart from in badly designed games or when you have weird performance problems. What I'm saying with this is that it does get better the more you play.

Comment

and Rez (looks great but actually a little disappointing in that it's a bit too easy in VR and doesn't engage all that much).
                      Ban talk right there

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        Ban talk right there
                        I'm not saying it's bad! It's just that, compared to the others I played, this one felt more like the same game I've played but displayed in a different way. Like I get almost as much out of it playing on the Dreamcast.

Comment

I'm not saying it's bad! It's just that, compared to the others I played, this one felt more like the same game I've played but displayed in a different way. Like I get almost as much out of it playing on the Dreamcast.
                          That's it buddy, keep digging and see where it gets you.

()

Comment

In seriousness a lot of VR games which started life as non-VR games are a bit like this. Certainly they're fun but it isn't mind-blowing once you're over the general coolness of VR. WipEout was the big exception for me because that's a game which just feels like it was made for VR, and the team did a fantastic job with it.

I believe that Rez has a VR-exclusive chapter that's meant to be pretty amazing.

Comment

Agree wholeheartedly with Asura on Wipeout. It's like this is how it should always have been and it's finally found its true home

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                                Agree wholeheartedly with Asura on Wipeout. It's like this is how it should always have been and it's finally found its true home
                                Yep. It's like Kairosoft's games on iOS and Android, like Game Dev Story, like they were made for a platform that didn't exist yet, and once you play them on that platform it's like the goddamn planets suddenly align. You feel like you've always been playing a compromised version of WipEout and this, this is the one. Almost as if it's your first time in a cinema after only ever watching movies on a Game Gear TV Tuner.

WipEout VR is the gaming equivalent of Plato's allegory of the cave.

Comment

Working...
                                X