VR Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge
    This was pretty decent overall. It ran just about to the point where it might have outstayed its welcome given it pretty much avoids going to recognisable locations from the films. You're a cargo runner who gets caught up in some seized load attempt and has to retrieve the contents before First Order forces do. You have a couple of tools such as a burner torch, screwndriver etc and the rest of the gameplay is mostly gunning down enemies. It always feels like a missed opportunity when a Star Wars game fails to feature a lightsabre but that aside it was decent enough.

Ritchie's Plank Experience
    Does a decent job of recreating the sensation of stepping out on one from a height but there's almost nothing else to the experience. There was a moments distraction by the rocket gloves that suggest how a Superman game in VR might feel but this is the definition of a 10 minute VR experience.

Resident Evil 4 VR
    I'm just up to the early village section which I've literally hated in every version of this game I've played and it's no different here, just a weak section to endure through to get to the better game beyond. The game looks good though, very clean visuals for a Quest game. Aiming seems very easy too like it was in the Wii version that made that game easy to go through so at the moment this looks like a good version and interpretation into VR.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge
      This was pretty decent overall. It ran just about to the point where it might have outstayed its welcome given it pretty much avoids going to recognisable locations from the films. You're a cargo runner who gets caught up in some seized load attempt and has to retrieve the contents before First Order forces do. You have a couple of tools such as a burner torch, screwndriver etc and the rest of the gameplay is mostly gunning down enemies. It always feels like a missed opportunity when a Star Wars game fails to feature a lightsabre but that aside it was decent enough.
      I guess they thought to stick to guns after Vader Immortal? But the free DLC has a good lightsaber section (and Yoda!).

Altogether I enjoyed this, but similarly, I felt by the end it had started to become a bit tiresome. I've been told that the paid DLC campaign is meant to be much, much better. I might give that a try, honestly, because I felt the base campaign was a very competent game... But that's it. Like upon finishing the end boss, I felt like I'd played a good prologue to a game... Then the credits rolled.

Ritchie's Plank Experience
      Does a decent job of recreating the sensation of stepping out on one from a height but there's almost nothing else to the experience. There was a moments distraction by the rocket gloves that suggest how a Superman game in VR might feel but this is the definition of a 10 minute VR experience.
      Definitely. However, this is a fantastic game to put on when you're home with the family at Christmas.

Comment

Yep Galaxy's Edge is a bit like a light demo for something like Alyx with all the holstering and item grabbing, dial turning etc.

With Plank Experience it definitely would suit showcasing the perspective to new users, I imagine it'd be a sea of vomit if I had the missus and kids step out on the plank though

Comment

Resident Evil 4 VR
          I'm only doing about a half hour so as not to get too heavy on the eyes and to fit in other things I'm now just about to tip into 3-1 in the game and I'm now clear completely of the village area and the farmhouse assault so the worst of the game are behind me. The more I play of this the more I'm appreciating just how well adapted this is. Without the OTT tone that Resi 7 has in VR I'm able to just enjoy it and things like reloading and firing have been satisfyingly adapted. I could probably do without Ashley's habit of being immediately behind you when you turn around though.

Comment

Resident Evil 4 VR
            I'm only doing about a half hour so as not to get too heavy on the eyes and to fit in other things I'm now just about to tip into 3-1 in the game and I'm now clear completely of the village area and the farmhouse assault so the worst of the game are behind me. The more I play of this the more I'm appreciating just how well adapted this is. Without the OTT tone that Resi 7 has in VR I'm able to just enjoy it and things like reloading and firing have been satisfyingly adapted. I could probably do without Ashley's habit of being immediately behind you when you turn around though.
            The farmhouse was easily the most frustrating part for me.

I recently got the RE2 remake to play on my Steam Deck and one thing that struck me after playing VR games is how, even in really well made games, aiming is really hard and janky compared with just being able to point and shoot. Shooting in VR is way easier and feels much more rewarding to me.

Comment

Yep, the VR aiming experience feels like a natural progression from the Wii version of Resi 4 with its gyro aiming. Broadly the game works well because it's linear so enemies, even in groups and usually ahead of you or to the side around a corner etc but in sections where you get surrounded it's like every cumbersome element of the game comes together in one messy whole. Thankfully they're not common in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                Shooting in VR is way easier and feels much more rewarding to me.
                Yep; I love it. It's like playing a mixture of a first-person shooter and Virtua Cop sometimes.

Comment

Farpoint and and Arizona Sunshine on PSVR is the best shooting experiences I've had in a game. Better than Alyx even.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                    Farpoint
                    Farpoint's shooting is really very good, I'll agree - though it's helped by having a peripheral shaped like a rifle, and really satisfying weapons.

But I guess it had to be good as it's very much the focus of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      Farpoint's shooting is really very good, I'll agree - though it's helped by having a peripheral shaped like a rifle, and really satisfying weapons.

But I guess it had to be good as it's very much the focus of the game.
                      Also, take the VR away and you're left with a pretty lame game. THe 3d sound was awesome too. Toward the end I was able to shoot things out the air without looking at them cos I could hear where they were! BADASS!

Also there was the usual annoying drift issue because PSVR :-(

Comment

There was a moment in Resi last night where enemies attacked from the rear, a whole group. I used the uzi to mow them down as they were surrounding Ashley. I turned to head up the path but behind me one of them wasn't quite dead, had risen and was about to grab her. All I heard was the her gasp and I heel turned, grabbed the Red 9 from my side and without even thinking popped one round off straight through its head Bond intro style

It's those moments which eclipse headshot etc moments in FPS's or other games because it's not a tweak of a stick - it's literally you. It really shows off the accuracy of the device too.

Comment

There was a moment in Resi last night where enemies attacked from the rear, a whole group. I used the uzi to mow them down as they were surrounding Ashley. I turned to head up the path but behind me one of them wasn't quite dead, had risen and was about to grab her. All I heard was the her gasp and I heel turned, grabbed the Red 9 from my side and without even thinking popped one round off straight through its head Bond intro style

It's those moments which eclipse headshot etc moments in FPS's or other games because it's not a tweak of a stick - it's literally you. It really shows off the accuracy of the device too.
                          Yep, that’s it. And I find it hard to go back from that in normal controller gaming. It really does completely change the experience.

Comment

Did a bit of co-op on killing floor last night with an old friend. It was so much fun just messing around in VR. Never done VR co-op before. Hilarious.

Comment

Anyone else getting RUINSMAGUS tomorrow?

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

It's the first particularly reasonably fully-featured VR-JRPG.

Comment

I'll take that as a no I thought people would be excited about this. I've been looking forward to it since seeing the videos a year ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X