User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VR Games

One thing with VR is you can really notch up your completed list thanks to how short form most of the titles are. Groundhog Day was a case of not being being that good whilst also being better than it had any right to be. It's more a narrative experience than a game and it's got some good points but really you might as well just watch the film and get a better experience.

I love arcades like Quick & Crash or G-Loc (R360), but I wouldn't want to play them all day.
    I've found VR is a great experience that doesn't need to be months long.
    I could probably live inside No Man's Sky, but had to stop as I knew I'd play nothing else.

So, my recommendations are:

VR Playroom
    VR Worlds - this is the one I show everyone. Must be up to double figures on Shark Encounter and London Heist.
    Here They Lie - PS+ freebie, but it was brilliant.
    Batman: Arkham VR - good, but get it in a sale.
    Rush Of Blood - good, but not for everyone!
    Superhot VR - YES!
    Ultrawings - Yes, but it's not easy on the stomach.
    Arizona Sunshine - YES! Especially in co-op.
    Astrobot - Hell to the YES!

Doctor Who: The Edge of Time
    On to the next game with this recent BBC Vr effort just before they closed down their VR studio. Based on the current incarnation you play an unnamed character as the game opens in a laundromat. After a brief moment the Doctor starts to speak to you through a TV before a rip in space time transforms the laundromat to a black goop covered hell version. You're tasked with a simple puzzle to retrieve the Sonic Screwdriver and escape the building before seeing the Dalek ships arrive as you call the Tardis. There is locomotion control but it's incredibly clunky and standing play doesn't require you to move about so seated play may be a better option. Visually it's actually pretty strong with very good sense of space and scale which works well when stepping into the Tardis. Despite being based on the current light and fluffy toned incarnation it's surprisingly dark with a number of jump scares and I already know one old enemy will pop up that's absolutely perfect for the VR experience. There are 5 chapters and halfway through the first off world planet puts me mid-Chapter 2 so it's probably about 2 hours over all to go through. Another narrative based experience rather than really using the tech for gameplay but thanks to the license use it's a decent one so far.

Quote Originally Posted by QualityChimp View Post
    I love arcades like Quick & Crash or G-Loc (R360), but I wouldn't want to play them all day.
    I've found VR is a great experience that doesn't need to be months long.
    I could probably live inside No Man's Sky, but had to stop as I knew I'd play nothing else.
    I played quick and crash recently at Arcade club in Leeds and got no 1 on the score board i played it that much, its such a simple game but so fun. I'd love to see a Namco VR arcade game brought out that was full of there shooting game, They could have it so you stand at the machine or are part of the game being inside a game of Time crisis would be awesome ducking behind boxes and poping up to shoot would give you a proper workout.

Been playing qute a bit of Pistol Whip recently and its got that old school light gun vibe to it and really shows the potential for lightgun propertys to be revived in VR

Last edited by Lebowski; 02-03-2020 at 08:53 AM.

Great little game! It must cots them a fortune in broken mugs, though...

There are a few VR target ranges. Gun Club VR looks alright, but I'm not sure if it'd get boring, when's there's Rush of Blood and the London Heist target range to play with.

Budget Cuts Yes
    I love this. Sneaking around using the teleport gun never gets boring. Not many people know that you can reach through the open gates only partially in order to obtain an item from the other end of the room (instead of fully committing your body to the jump). You can probably stab through them as well for remote kills. Yet to try that.

Thumper Yes
    Awesome with room scale, being able to crawl under the rail like it's some kind of huge snooker table feature running through your room.

BallisticNG Yes
    More of a WipeOut game than WipeOut Omega. I like loading in the classic WipeOut ships with a Prodigy soundtrack. It's like being inside a PSOne game. Must load this up soon to see if it's been further optimised (some weather effects were affecting frame rates).

Beat Sabre. Vive. Yes! Epicness. Plus loads of music to download and play.

I tried out Oculus Link today and the performance isn't great, which is weird, because I have a pretty decent spec - a good i5, GTX1060... Not sure just how much I'm going to use it.

The main thing is that it's made me reflect, again, on how janky the PC VR experience is, compared to PSVR or Quest. PC users who are accustomed to the platform tend not to realise that they've internalised sooo many little foiables and issues with it. The PSVR and Quest are light-years ahead in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Asura View Post
    I tried out Oculus Link today and the performance isn't great, which is weird, because I have a pretty decent spec - a good i5, GTX1060... Not sure just how much I'm going to use it.

The main thing is that it's made me reflect, again, on how janky the PC VR experience is, compared to PSVR or Quest. PC users who are accustomed to the platform tend not to realise that they've internalised sooo many little foiables and issues with it. The PSVR and Quest are light-years ahead in this area.
    your running similar spec to me, ive got a 6gb 1060 and an decent i7 and i get pretty good results on most games, (things like Super hot, Beat sabre and Gorn run flawlessly) where as more intensive games require a bit of tinkering. steam VR has some really good options to get the best out of your games an its well worth a tinker if your not getting good results.

The tinkering aspect i think pc users are used to, the bump in resolution and the improved motion controls on PC really do make the PC vr a very cool experience once set up right.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    an decent i7
    Apparently this is one of the issues; the i7 is much better than the i5 under certain conditions and supposedly this is one of them.