Why are some common games insanely expensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
    I don't think I will ever get to this point. Nice set of SegaCD games there, Popful Mail and Space Adventure Cobra are definitely too rich for my blood these days.

It's a much larger image if you open it in it's own tab.
    Ahh neat, cheers for the tip Cepp

Comment

That's a lovely set of games there, some really neat choices and in great condition! Some interesting "modern game/old system" stuff too.

The most I've ever paid for a used old game is about £50 and even then with deep reluctance and because it was a very special game. I usually pay sub-£10 and rarely go above £20.

I honestly wish more of the super-rare games were reprinted at a fair price. I'd be completely up for paying "when it was new" prices for new copies of an old game. I was on the pre-order list for Gleylancer (and my pre-order fell through, thanks a bunch Play-Asia) and I'd be up for doing that for all kinds of pricey games. It's not like we've lost the technology to produce carts or CD-ROMs. I can go buy a CD of some old music no problem, should be able to do that with games. It'd put some noses out of joint for "collector as an investment" sorts too, which wouldn't keep me up at night.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
        i see a shocking lack of magical flying hat turbo adventure. I thought you had it then i just realised it was a bare knuckle box booooo lol
        I might pick it up at some point in the future as it’s still a sensible price. The thing is I’m pretty disciplined when it comes to adding more games to the collection and I still have quite a few games that need rinsing before I expand.

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
        I don't think I will ever get to this point. Nice set of SegaCD games there, Popful Mail and Space Adventure Cobra are definitely too rich for my blood these days.
        None of my games cost that much, the most expensive being the likes of Shadowrun (MCD version), Popful Mail, Shining Force CD and the aforementioned Space Adventure, all of which were around the £70 - £80 mark. Looking at what these go for now, there is no way in hell I’d contemplate buying Space Adventure for the $700 a copy on eBay is listed at now. Buy something decent like Lunar for less and burn Space Adventure on a CD-R.

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
        That's a lovely set of games there, some really neat choices and in great condition! Some interesting "modern game/old system" stuff too.

The most I've ever paid for a used old game is about £50 and even then with deep reluctance and because it was a very special game. I usually pay sub-£10 and rarely go above £20.

I honestly wish more of the super-rare games were reprinted at a fair price. I'd be completely up for paying "when it was new" prices for new copies of an old game. I was on the pre-order list for Gleylancer (and my pre-order fell through, thanks a bunch Play-Asia) and I'd be up for doing that for all kinds of pricey games. It's not like we've lost the technology to produce carts or CD-ROMs. I can go buy a CD of some old music no problem, should be able to do that with games. It'd put some noses out of joint for "collector as an investment" sorts too, which wouldn't keep me up at night.
        Thanks, it’s a bit leftfield and missing some of the big hitters, but the games are to my taste and besides I have the mini consoles to enjoy the killer 16-games on.

Totally agree with you on re-prints. They more than satisfy me as they feel authentic enough and come at a fraction of the cost of rarer titles. If you’re interested then Limited Run are re-releasing Monkey Island for Sega CD at the end of this month. I’ll be picking that up for sure.

Comment

Talking of picking stuff up cheap, I remember when I got Puyo Puyo, Virtua Racing and Bare Knuckle 2 from the same eBay seller in Japan for £1, £3, and £7.50 respectively, and in the parcel the seller had even thrown in some Japanese sweets and snacks. What a bargain! Some of you on here might wince that the spine of Puyo Puyo suffered from sunfade, but for me at the measly cost of £1 I was more than happy with the overall condition all things considered.

Comment

I could go on with the bargains... Keio and Yu Yu Hakusho were £30 each, Phantasy Star £25, Snatcher £50... I used to love waiting for the cheap auctions to pop up and grabbing them at the right time. Shame it’s just not like that now, and for that reason, dragons, I’m oot.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
              None of my games cost that much, the most expensive being the likes of Shadowrun (MCD version), Popful Mail, Shining Force CD and the aforementioned Space Adventure, all of which were around the £70 - £80 mark. Looking at what these go for now, there is no way in hell I’d contemplate buying Space Adventure for the $700 a copy on eBay is listed at now. Buy something decent like Lunar for less and burn Space Adventure on a CD-R.
              I have both Lunar games although I still haven't beat Eternal Blue. For games like Snatcher and Cobra I'm happy to use CDRs at this point, I can still play and enjoy them on real hardware.

Comment

Well Eternal Blue is on my “to buy” list but - don’t shoot me - I haven’t even finished the first game yet! I hope I do before the sequel starts going for silly money (I daren’t look in case it already has).

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                  That said, I am amazing at how cheap most OX Box games are, even now
                  I finished by OG Xbox collection a while back -- the most I spent on a game was £15 on Stubbs the Zombie. Most games were £3-8 in good condition. I don't own Metal Wolf though, way too expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                    Talking of picking stuff up cheap, I remember when I got Puyo Puyo, Virtua Racing and Bare Knuckle 2 from the same eBay seller in Japan for £1, £3, and £7.50 respectively, and in the parcel the seller had even thrown in some Japanese sweets and snacks. What a bargain! Some of you on here might wince that the spine of Puyo Puyo suffered from sunfade, but for me at the measly cost of £1 I was more than happy with the overall condition all things considered.
                    That’s a great price for BN2 - was it in good nick and complete?

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                      That’s a great price for BN2 - was it in good nick and complete?
                      Depends on your level of OCD. It wasn’t mint, put it that way. I’d say a used but good condition; no dog-eared manual, no sunfade to the insert, sticker on cart intact.

Comment

Working...
                      X