Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi image with hard-coded scanlines.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raspberry Pi image with hard-coded scanlines.

I have an image for my Pi 3B running Recalbox and RetroArch. In the Recalbox menu I can choose between two types of scanline presets or no scanlines.

When I go into RetroArch, I try to change the shader options but it refuses to save them. Then it always defaults back to the 'scanline preset' that was chosen in Recalbox.

I can change other options in RetroArch, such as aspect ratio and integer etc... but not the shader options.

Is there a way to unlock the shader settings so I can choose my own and set them up how I'd like? I can easily do it with other Pi images but this Recalbox box image doesn't want people changing the shader options.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 21-02-2020, 23:25.

Are you using save per core, save per game etc. ? As that will make a difference. You don't need to unlock anything, all shaders are under the 'shaders' option in the quick menu. You can add and remove them as you wish, although as I'm sure you are aware, due to the lowish processing power of the Pi multiple scan line modes will run slow or crash.
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
      Are you using save per core, save per game etc. ? .
      I'm trying to save them per core, but the message 'failed to save' keeps coming up. I can change all the other settings in RetroArch and save them, but the shader settings refuse to save and then revert back to the preconfigured setting in the Recalbox menu.

It looks like the person who created the image has given users two types of scanlines to choose from in Recalbox and locked the RetroArch scanline settings so people can't change them.

I can go into the shaders folder and select the CRT filter I desire then adjust the settings(Linear, Nearest etc..) but when I try to apply/save the changes, it says 'failed to save' or simply reverts to the default image shader settings when I reboot.

I've used older Pi images with RetroArch that allow me to change all the shader settings and save them per core/game, so I know how it works. I'm just hoping there's a setting I'm not aware of that will unlock the shader settings and allow me to save my changes. I guess there's an option somewhere that has turned off the ability to save shader settings.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 21-02-2020, 23:26.

Comment

Sounds like the location set for saving config is either non existent, i.e /dev/null or the location is correct, but the image you used has the wrong directory or file permissions or ownership.
        Like the settings file might be owned by "retroimg" (made up user here in this example) user from group "retroimg" but your user is "leonretro" and your not in the "retroimg" group.

Sorry if that's nor clearer, but it's almost certainly fixable at the command line, but you need to do some digging to find out where retro arch stores stuff and what file perms there are, etc.

Comment

Double post

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
            I'm trying to save them per core, but the message 'failed to save' keeps coming up. I can change all the other settings in RetroArch and save them, but the shader settings refuse to save and then revert back to the preconfigured setting in the Recalbox menu.

It looks like the person who created the image has given users two types of scanlines to choose from in Recalbox and locked the RetroArch scanline settings so people can't change them.

I can go into the shaders folder and select the CRT filter I desire then adjust the settings(Linear, Nearest etc..) but when I try to apply/save the changes, it says 'failed to save' or simply reverts to the default image shader settings when I reboot.

I've used older Pi images with RetroArch that allow me to change all the shader settings and save them per core/game, so I know how it works. I'm just hoping there's a setting I'm not aware of that will unlock the shader settings and allow me to save my changes. I guess there's an option somewhere that has turned off the ability to save shader settings.
            Can you not simply add shaders to the shader folder? That is all I've ever done. But as gunrock correctly says the location for saving is the overriding issue. I think you are talking about two different issues 1.) There is a limited amount of shaders in the shaders folder (which makes sense given the low power of the pi) 2.) As gunrock says it's either a permissions or direction issue; I think the second is clearly the bigger issue as it's all pointless if you can't save in the first place. Which specific image are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post

Sorry if that's nor clearer, but it's almost certainly fixable at the command line, but you need to do some digging to find out where retro arch stores stuff and what file perms there are, etc.
              Yeah, it looks like I'd have to go into the command line or Pi settings, but I don't even have simple access to the Pi settings like with other Pi images I've used in the past. The person who created it has made it 'noob happy', but it means you can't access all the options as with most Pi images.

I'll try to work it out.

Can you not simply add shaders to the shader folder?
              I can go into the 'shaders' folders and choose from all sorts of CRT shaders etc... But it won't save my choices. The shader settings have been hard-coded into Recalbox and override RetroArch.

The person who created the image gave users three choices: No scanlines; simple scanlines; advanced scanlines. All you can do is choose one of their presets in the Recalbox menu.

I will have to find out if there's a simple way to unlock the settings.

Comment

You might just need to change the permissions on the configs, IIRC the configs are in /opt/retropie/configs - if you cd to that directory and so a "sudo chmod +777 *" it'll allow all users to read/write/execute files in the directory. If the config files for the shaders are in a different directory, the same command will set the permissions, but you'll need to know the root password on the image as the sudo is running the command as the superuser (sudo = superuser do, chown = change owner, chmod = change mode).

If you know what user the image is logging into, you can do a chown <user> * and chmod +755 * to just give the current owner write permissions, generally it's not a good idea to 777 the file system, but it's unlikely to be a security risk here.
                Last edited by MartyG; 22-02-2020, 17:32.

Comment

That’s a lot of fancying around for scanlines, Leon. Can’t you just get something like an RGB-pi and hook it up to your trinitron? It will look fab.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                    That’s a lot of fancying around for scanlines, Leon. Can’t you just get something like an RGB-pi and hook it up to your trinitron? It will look fab.
                    Think I have a spare RGB-pi if you fancy one.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                      You might just need to change the permissions on the configs, IIRC the configs are in /opt/retropie/configs
                      If you know what user the image is logging into, you can do a chown <user> * and chmod +755 * to just give the current owner write permissions, generally it's not a good idea to 777 the file system, but it's unlikely to be a security risk here.
                      I'll take a look, but I'm not very good at this sort of thing. Thanks for the advice though.

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                      Think I have a spare RGB-pi if you fancy one.
                      I've had one hooked up to my Trinitron for a while now. All the retro systems look... Could be the best retro-related thing ever made.

But I also like to relax on my sofa and play retro games on the big screen. I have other Pi images that allow me to change the shaders/scanlines, but this particular image has that side of things locked down.

I will try to find a way to save my settings, but if not, at least the scanlines look fine in most games. It's just in vertical games that they look a bit weird, so I'd like to fix that issue with a better shader. I can see all the shaders but can't save them as a new default.

Comment

Working...
                      X