EDF 5 PS4 (Earth Defense Force)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
    A fantastic game. Classic gameplay is intact, with some stats-based tweaks to keep you hungry for those green box pick ups.

We played about 16 missions and encountered the standard ants, spiddas, drones and Queen ants. The frogs are a fabulous creation, full of guile and menace. The fact they are creatures and not robots add to their apparent cunning and threat. We had many a mission where we saw them clambering buildings to try and flank us.

The tripods make a welcome return. I like the fireball entrance (like EDF2) and the way they try to lance you when you get too close. The rolling armoured kaiju are great, too. I adore the walking base. It has a really good Verne steampunk vibe to it.

Stars of the show, though, are the greys. One of the best EDF enemies, without doubt. They way they fight to the bitter end, clambering along the floor, limbs blasted off - wow. They’re rock-hard and totally took my breath away when I levelled one with my grenade launcher only to see it pulling itself around, still trying to kill me.

Some utterly classic moments in that session. From the soldiers talking utter drivel over the headset, to the usual ne’er-say-die attitude you have to demonstrate to the bitter end, its all so familiar yet so exhilarating and satisfying. On one early mission, when I was just re-finding my EDF feet, I ended up charging at a hillside full of drones, ants, spiders and frogs, only to find myself hopelessly cut off from the main group of allies, and getting swarmed. My health was 15, 8, 5 then 1 for ages, as I retreated diving left and right, trying to avoid shots and grab a health pick up. The relief and sense of achievement when I slinked back was palpable.
    Glad you are liking it, also happy to know my virtual obsession with the Cybermen (Greys) isn't just me, they really are a great challenge aren't they.
    Am battling them on Hardest and they are far more mobile and will climb buildings more readily, put the level on Inferno and they run like Usain Bolt.
    Happy Days.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
      Sounding good; might take a punt tonight - anyone playing online?
      Yes, what evenings do you fancy?

Comment

PS store still has this down as preorder, have you all imported?

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
          PS store still has this down as preorder, have you all imported?
          Nope, it was mucked up for me too. I had to buy special edition.

Comment

Am starting to see the dark purple ants which appeared in 4.1 and are armour plated and also the golden ants from the Vita game with the powerful acid.

Comment

Nice review here:

Comment

There’s some great missions on this. Just hi-octane, frantic blasting, with some nuanced strategic thought required. Having human teammates really makes a difference - it affords an entirely new angle for tactical considerations.

Levelling up weapons is a great addition. It moulds guns into the category of ‘old favourites’ by honing key performance statistics, genuinely making a difference. It means that current weapons aren’t necessarily abandoned in favour of new weapons.

Comment

Yes there are some fantastic weapons, one of the biggest factors is accuracy, been trying to get one of my assaults upgraded but without much success, I've found L80 is great for collecting I can now beat it fairly easily on Inferno. Used to use one of the super powerful but slow and long load time guided missile's but now I've got the guided by wire M90's upgraded with loads of hit power and nine of them in one load it makes it much easier.

Really enjoying it now.

Comment

Those flying frogs are great. They’re like the dragons off 4. When they did a bombing run all in a line, I fired my grenade launcher at them and nailed about twenty with one hit. Good times.

Comment

Earth Defense Force 5 [PS4]

I've had to check in and make sure I'm not just really bad at searching, but it appears that despite numerous mentions all over the forum, hundreds of hours spent by some, and a collective understanding among many of us that it is the game of games, we are lacking an EDF5 FP thread. It's currently discounted on PSN, which I know this has stirred a number of people already to jump on as a result, so what better time than to lay some bricks for the church of EDF.

This weekend just passed I've got the first 20 or so missions out of the way, and though I've skipped a couple of entries in the series I've stuck to some pretty basic options (a Ranger, still clutching to the first rocket launcher) to ease my way back in. I had a quick tinker with the Fencer though, who seems to be quite different but potentially a lot of fun. One mission - the first with flying saucers - actually proved far tougher than I expected for something so early on, and needed a few attempts to survive the last wave.

I'm a big fan of actual aliens on top of the usual insects (not literally), and as the first game on this gen of consoles I've played, it's quite reassuring that they've mainly used the extra power for volume of enemies rather than pushing for super-shiny graphics. The voice acting got a proper LOL from me within the first mission, and since then there's been more quoteable comments from the intercom and your team-mates than I can even remember. Quality.

TLR - late to the party, but it's EDF, which means it's going to be a good party regardless.

Comment

Comment

Damnit.

Comment

I've almost finished Death Stranding, so I may join the party soon!

Comment

Really glad you are enjoying it fuse, are you playing on or offline.

I'm still playing nothing else;

Comment

Did the first couple of levels and I like it so far.
                                I like how you can reload without the weapon activate and shows you when it's finished.

It really could do with a sprint button by this point!

Comment

Working...
                                X