Clear All

Retro|Spective 125: Deadly Premonition

History in Games:
    2010 - Deadly Premonition / Red Seeds Profile
    2013 - Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut
    2019 - Deadly Premonition Origins
    TBC - Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing In Disguise

Overview:
    A change in plans for the 125th thread as yesterday was the tenth anniversary of Bordersdown only ever 11/10 game. A decade since Agent York visited Greenvale to investigate the brutal murder of a woman in a very Twin Peaks style scenario, a tale that unravelled the deeper you dive into the mystery full of tragedy, horror, intrigue and coffee. An over the shoulder survival horror at the base, the game also invites you to take your time navigating the open town as you help the townsfolk and gleam what clues you can as to who is behind the deaths. Now we wait the unexpected return of York on Nintendo Switch for the belated sequel.

Share your thoughts and memories of Deadly Premonition as well as your hopes for the upcoming first ever 12/10 game

Been talking to some of the boys about this. At least 3 of them think it's wank.

I don't think I've seen more interesting characters or story in a videogame since this game came out.

The driving sections control like crap, Your character movement and shooting is clunky as hell....but I couldn't stop playing it!

I even imported the US limited edition Switch port with Greenvale map. I'll turn this game on for the title screen music alone!

Comment

Why was I not tagged in this thread?

I remember playing this around the same time that everyone was raving about the dramatic and deep plot of Red Dead Redemption.

So.... The plot in Deadly Premonition makes that in RDR look like a book for primary school kids.

The depth of character development is pretty much unheard of in video-games.

I was lost for a couple of weeks after finishing the game. The ending is highly traumatic on its own, but also just the thought that I'd finished playing in the town.

The gameplay doesn't meet the same high standards. It's quite basic in places (gunplay / combat / car physics), but it does excel in other areas. You can shave or not shave. Become a stinky agent! It's so full of tiny details like that.

Humour is crazy cool. Cut scenes can be hilarious.

The whole thing is like being in Twin Peaks.

Best game I've played

Comment

Finding it difficult looking at those gifs. Too many memories.

Here's my review

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
          Been talking to some of the boys about this. At least 3 of them think it's wank.

I don't think I've seen more interesting characters or story in a videogame since this game came out.

The driving sections control like crap, Your character movement and shooting is clunky as hell....but I couldn't stop playing it!

I even imported the US limited edition Switch port with Greenvale map. I'll turn this game on for the title screen music alone!
          When did you get a mob?

Comment

It's a very difficult game to explain, because you have to say that the gameplay could be described as poor or maybe dated. Yet the story, script and atmosphere are incredible. I also think the world itself is quite clever with people going about their business like a giant rural sparsely-populated Shenmue.

I think it probably has the best and most likable main character of any game going though, going around talking to himself about 1980s films in great detail.

Comment

Has anyone played it through more than once? I've always wanted to but can't face the ending again. I suppose I could just stay in Greendale doing nothing...

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                Has anyone played it through more than once? I've always wanted to but can't face the ending again. I suppose I could just stay in Greendale doing nothing...
                I did start a second time round, but never got round to finishing it. It's pretty clever as second time round a lot of stuff they say has a lot more resonance.

Comment

I might finally pick this up. Is the Switch release generally consider the definitive?

EDIT: actually, I think I might have it on PS3 (might have been included in PS Plus at some point).
                  Last edited by Atticus; 25-02-2020, 09:32.

Comment

The PS3 version was pretty broken if I remember right. PC one was iffy too.

Comment

Bonkers, utter bonkers, and I loved every minute of playing it heh.
                      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

It was rare instance where the broken clunky controls eventually end up being to the games benefit because it forces you to take your time, that and the daily routine of the townsfolk. That early hours clunky frustration slowly becomes an intrinsic part of the game experience and appeal. I remember navigating the town feeling like such a chore and then once the game was over I was slowly tootering around saying goodbye as I reluctantly knew I wouldn't be doing it anymore. I tried a second playthrough on PC but got distracted but definitely want to try again before the sequel lands.

Comment

I played it on 360 and recently finished the Switch version. Absolutely intoxicating game. The characters, writing and music make a totally unforgettable game and one of my all timers. The gameplay is basic and the driving is horrendous but the charms outweigh everything else.

On my second playthrough I understood the side quest structure better and found loads that I'd missed. Well worth going through again.

My hope for the sequel is that the world is more detailed with more reason to get out of your car and explore. I appreciate the budget and team size though and if it's just more of the same I am very happy with that. I absolutely think this is one of the best games ever made and can't believe how many little details and quirks they managed to get in.

Comment

York's voice actor recently suggested that DP2 is going to be a bit more linear this time, veering into different territory than repeating the structure of the first game. Might be for the best as I'm still unsure how much fluke is part of the first game.

Any discussions about the ultimate bad guy in a game of all time though... you can tell you hasn't played Deadly Premonition, this games villain is d-a-r-k

Comment

I've been trying to think about games with affecting scenes of pay offs etc and I've been struggling. I can think of a couple where the experience has stayed with you for a while afterward or there was a tension because of a dramatic ending etc but as far as I can recall Deadly Premonition is the only example were the back end of the game gave me a literal knot in my stomach in a way only TV and Film have managed on rare occasions.

Comment

Working...
                              X