Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, it's unlikely to be that useful for Switch then? Mostly taking that on the basis that there are still very few PC games that use it and out of those that do at least half would never come to Switch anyway. Realistically we're firmly in 3DS-New 3DS territory?

Comment

If rumors are true and it's not just a wishlist, yes. If the new iteration is going to replace the standard model maybe more games will support the more powerful hardware, but it surely won't go past what PS4/PS4Pro compatible games did.

Comment

This is making me wonder what price it's coming in at... £300 and drop the price of the current model down?

Comment

Rumour is they're going to drop the current model completely which furthers the notion that this is more a minor revision than anything else as the Lite is apparently going nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            Rumour is they're going to drop the current model completely which furthers the notion that this is more a minor revision than anything else as the Lite is apparently going nowhere.
            Damn... I guess that does make sense, same as when they rolled out the last revision with improved battery. It just sounds like this one is a bigger leap.

Comment

It feels like a lot of it is from stuff like Era over reaching itself. There's loads of talk about BOTW2 being all sorts of amazing with DLSS when there's no reason at all a game like that would need it at all. Nintendo hasn't even embraced proper new tech properly as well since... the SNES?

Potentially... and I say this incredibly tentatively... potentially... I could see this working if Nintendo were to make the new model a solid step up with zero exclusive games and quietly copy MS's approach and every four years release a new upgraded model that runs everything that pre-exists. Basically keeping the Switch going indefinitely and never launching a defined Switch 2 which would probably work best for them as they could keep the large playerbase and avoid yet another market share collapsing new platform launch. Then replacing evergreens as they eventually run out of sales steam and not having to use resources to port older stuff etc. But... Nintendo being Nintendo...

Comment

Yeah I don’t see that happening largely because of your very last part and what that actually means. Nintendo don’t sell systems in the same way Sony or MS do and they haven’t done since the DS. Sony and MS sell a thing to play the games they’re going to offer you. Nintendo sells the hardware as the feature just as much - it’s a thing with two screens for some reason, it’s the thing with the controllers where you can wave your arms, it’s the 3D one, it’s the one with a giant controller tablet, it’s the one that is both a handheld and not. Obviously that doesn’t always work (WiiU) but it’s what they’ve been doing for many years now and I don’t see them stopping any time soon. I reckon the next proper system will be entirely based around some new gimmick, not just a Switch with more power - that power hasn’t been an important selling point for them.

Comment

Yep, which is why I expect some real disappointment over the Pro. For some reason this expectation has developed that Nintendo is suddenly interested in putting out a handheld powerhouse when there's absolutely zero market reason for them to do so. It really does feel like the Switch's components have just become too dated to continue with and any perks of the new unit will simply be a result of using more current chipsets etc. Hell, Nintendo don't even push their own machines that hard and really don't care about third parties, it's almost impressive how long Nintendo can operate for and people still fail to accept what their business approach is like.

Comment

Yep. Totally agree. Man, do you remember the time some delusional people speculated that they were holding back the power of the WiiU (or was it Wii?) for a big reveal and they’d surprise everyone by showing it could exceed other systems out there?

This new model might be just enough to get people to double dip but people need to really manage their expectations.

Comment

Feels like it's something they'll always fall for. It's insane to think as well that the Switch has now officially been on the market for longer than the WiiU was.

Comment

People want a laptop with a Core i7 and an RTX2080 and instead they'll get a mild refresh due to part obsolecence. Era and Gaf before have already been full of people pontificating on rumors and expecting the impossible.

Comment

Its just going to be a component refresh due to the old shield hardware is obsolete now, people expecting 4k output with full DLSS and serious grunt are going to be bitterly disappointed.

Joy con drift, year thats not getting fixed.

Oled screen? Whats the point when to get 4k itle need to be in the dock anyway.

Oh and expect the price to go up, not down.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                            Joy con drift, year thats not getting fixed.
                            This has to be costing them a fortune though. They've been fixing it free for years now. Surely just that alone will prompt them to fix it at some point?

Comment

Presumably the percentage of owners who bother going through the process of sending it in is low and the Joycons cheap to make, if people keep buying every colour that's released too it's easy money. Another indicator of Nintendo's approach

Comment

Yep, you're probably right. Got to admit, for me, the Joycon thing and Nintendo's approach to it is one of the two biggest black marks against the system and I can't help feeling that, even with great sales, it will erode confidence in a company that was once known for its indestructible hardware. The other black mark being the account systems but, really, I think the Joycon issues are right up there with the 360's RRoD for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X