Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's my point. I can't see them adding DLSS capability just so they can pump out a 4K UI, or even the remaining games the Switch has left.

If a Switch 2 didn't come with DLSS I'd be annoyed. But then even if it did, I really wouldn't expect it to run old games in 4K as DLSS isn't just a simple upscaler. Games have to be made with it in mind, and until DLSS 3.0 does something different I believe in collaboration with Nvidia.

At best I'd expect full-on re-releases. :/

Comment

Nice. So 6 years for a 4k full price release of Pikmin3 then eh Nintendo?

But year I forgot dlss needs a patch as well on the software side, so that’ll be a no no until Switch2 maybe.

Comment

With Bowser’s Fury having such a large difference in the frame rate between docked and handheld modes I'm hoping there’s a revised chipset to increase handheld performance.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
          Nice. So 6 years for a 4k full price release of Pikmin3 then eh Nintendo?
          Gee, I can't wait to see/hear/read people defending Nintendo re-hash re-rehashes!!

"bUt pEoPLe wHo DiDnT pLaY oN tHe wIIu oR ThE sWiTcH cAn NoW eXpErIEnCe ThEsE gAmEs FrOm 2013!!!!!!!11111!!!!!!!!"

Comment

In other news,

2020 PS4 and PS5 hardware sales + 2020 Xbox One & Series S/X hardware sales = 2020 Switch hardware sales.

Comment

As long as the launch/early titles of the seemingly inevitable new Switch are cross-'generation', and given the user-base they basically are, I don't give a yelping flarn for the update. I've still yet to play: Smash, Odyssey, Arms, Splatoon, Luigi's Mansion, Octopath and many others.

Comment

It's beyond tiring seeing the Mystic Megs on Era moan and twist on this info which is frankly nothing more than what was obvious back in 2018 when they prematurely started speculating about a 'New Switch'. Nicknaming it Pro was always daft, monikoring based on machines it was never going to be similar to.

4K support docked would blatantly be no different than the 1080p of the current dock, it's a display resolution not a performance issue so DLSS isn't required especially for something as untaxing as the Switch. No DLSS, no AA, faster clock speeds maybe offering 8-10fps at best boost in either mode. It'll look near the same as well, tiny reduction in bezel with the same form factor to maintain compatibility with all peripherals. Other than a little bit of a brighter, cleaner screen it's an utter waste of time for existing owners.

The lack of compelling new software releases remains the biggest thing on the systems horizon.

Comment

I'll be honest I'm all for a bigger screen and hopefully comfier joy cons (with no drift issues).

From someone with larger hands who never played docked all that often it's this aspect that interests me the most. So if the rumours are true that suits me but equally in not expecting 1080p handheld. I'd prefer a longer battery life and throw in native Bluetooth support for audio. That would do me.

Comment

My prediction for each aspect of the updated system:

1) New colours.

Comment

There's a 98% chance a revision isn't happening.

If it does, I'd expect a better battery and maybe a slightly better screen.

Reasons for this being that it's cheaper for Nintendo to use newer components over the older ones.

Comment

I think we can be certain that the revision will be exceedingly mild, just like it was for the DSi and New 3DS.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                          I'll be honest I'm all for a bigger screen and hopefully comfier joy cons (with no drift issues).

From someone with larger hands who never played docked all that often it's this aspect that interests me the most. So if the rumours are true that suits me but equally in not expecting 1080p handheld. I'd prefer a longer battery life and throw in native Bluetooth support for audio. That would do me.
                          Bigger screen = worse battery.

100% no joycon revision either. Would make the unit incompatible with all previous joycons.
                          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 05-03-2021, 09:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                            As long as the launch/early titles of the seemingly inevitable new Switch are cross-'generation', and given the user-base they basically are, I don't give a yelping flarn for the update. I've still yet to play: Smash, Odyssey, Arms, Splatoon, Luigi's Mansion, Octopath and many others.
                            This is an interesting post. It makes me think how much of a market there is comprised of folk who haven't dipped in with either the WiiU or Switch.

That's some backlog. Splatoon 3 is out next year so I'd hold on for that - that way you'll get to enjoy all the Splatfests and stuff.

To be honest I don't feel I've missed out on anything new since playing Smash Bros. Even then it'd been over a year since the last game I'd purchased (Xenoblade Chronicles 2). I should probably try and grab another machine before Splatoon 3 hits next year. My son is obsessed with the various Pokemon shows on Netflix and he doesn't even have any experience with the games yet. I've never been able to get into them, but I do fancy giving one of these new remakes a try (Diamond/Pearl). Hopefully we'll get some BotW2 updates at some point this year.

In terms of remakes/ports I fancy Xenoblade Chronicles, Link's Awakening, NSMBU and SM3DW. Two of my all-time favourite Mario games right there.

Bravely Default 2! I really, really want that; but not enough that I have to go groveling to my wife to spend €400+.

I've also got my small stack of existing games packed away, which seems silly. All belters too, which I miss playing massively (BotW, MK8D, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Odyssey... Even Diablo 3). That first year was immense. I was a huge fan of both MK8 and Splatoon on the WiiU, so I couldn't care less if they were considered ports or iterative updates or whatever.

Comment

I forgot to mention Luigi's Mansion 3 and the new Hyrule Warriors. I'll definitely be getting those at some point.

Comment

Like I think I've said before, a 4k revision would be great for those users, as long as Nintendo don't insist upon it. With dynamic scaling and other features, a lot of games on the Switch have variable resolution anyway, as well as features where a game's UI/menus/HUD can be one resolution and the game can be another. It'd be straightforward to patch those to use the high-res for those elements and to keep the rest of the game the same resolution as it is at present.

Comment

Working...
                                X