Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lucasfilm and game developer Aspyr have announced that they will re-release classic “Star Wars” podracing video game “Star Wars Episode I: Racer” on the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4 later this year. The Switch and PS4 versions of the game support split-screen multiplayer, with the Switch version also supporting LAN multiplayer, and the game […]

Lucasfilm and Aspyr have announced that a version of Star Wars Episode I: Racer will be coming to NS and PS4 later this year

Comment

I'm still annoyed we never got a Dreamcast release of the Sega arcade one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        So Panzer Dragoon... it’s okay. It’s not fantastic. The intro feels poor and old and yet not really in a charming old kind of way. So it doesn’t set a great beginning experience. The game itself looks better. Still feels a bit dusty but the design is pretty. Some of the visuals really make the more drab areas of the original look lovely but don’t quite live up to what they better looking places in the original could have been. Yes, obviously technically it’s way above the original but the design really shone in that old game back in the day. This remake is a bit busy in places which makes it tricky to see some of the enemies but it does look pretty. It’s kind of like a PS3 conversion of a game that was pretty on that system, if you know what I mean.

The targeting thingy (reticule?) comes from the original and it wasn’t as simple or clear as in the sequel. They should have gone with the sequel version. This is a bit hard to read. And the sound effects are too much, getting in the way of the music in places.

Oh and it has a credit system, like it’s an arcade game.

It doesn’t make a wonderful first impression. But I don’t want to be all that negative about it because, playing it, it does capture that original game. It’s fun. It just doesn’t feel like a high-polish remake as remakes go. Music is great though and I still hope they remake the second game.
        I thought it was slightly meh too. Hasn't aged as well as I'd hoped.
        3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

A rumour that for Nintendo's 35th Anniversary of Mario they are planning to reveal the planned launch of most Mario games in the series on Switch within the year along with Paper Mario 6

Comment

Ah. Yes. That would be amazing. Sunshine and Galaxy pls.

Odyssey 2 though, not Paper Mario. Pls.

Disappointing about Panzer Dragoon. The new graphics really fail to capture the spirit of the original art design and atmosphere imo. I’m gonna skip it and stick with the Saturn version.

They should’ve done it like Virtua Racing - brutally sharp and smooth version of the original visuals.

Comment

Paper Mario would make sense I guess if looking at IP yet to launch on Switch though it also makes the lack of a port of Paper Mario: Color Splash that bit more puzzling too.

Comment

The Panzer Dragoon re-do looked awful from the first announcement.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                They should’ve done it like Virtua Racing - brutally sharp and smooth version of the original visuals.
                Aye, it's a bit of a master class in how it should be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  https://www.videogameschronicle.com/...h-anniversary/

A rumour that for Nintendo's 35th Anniversary of Mario they are planning to reveal the planned launch of most Mario games in the series on Switch within the year along with Paper Mario 6
                  Just read this on Nintendo Life.

I'll believe it if/when I actually see it, tbh.

I think we all expect a Switch port of SM3DW but I would be amazed if EAD bothered with properly remastering 64, the Galaxies and Sunshine for the Switch (and yes, I know you can get an HD-ish version of SMG for the nVidia Shield in China but that is a slightly different case).

Lest we forget, Nintendo celebrated the 25th anniversary of SMB by way of ROM-dumping All-Stars onto a Wii disc and charging full RRP for it! Large pinch of salt needed methinks, but would be delighted if they prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    Aye, it's a bit of a master class in how it should be done.
                    Yes for Virtual Racing but, for me, that wouldn’t have done it for Panzer Dragoon. I played the original relatively recently (okay maybe two years ago...) and it’s janky and very rough around the edges (unlike the sequel which, in spite of Saturn tech, is far more refined and polished). For me, it’s not that this remake did too much. It didn’t do enough. The only new issue introduced is that enemies sometimes blend with the scenery. Pretty much every other issue it inherits from the original and they didn’t improve on it. They shouldn’t have used the same aiming visuals, for example.

There’s one example in the remake that really bugs me. And I know maybe it won’t bug anyone else but there is a dragon which flies close to yours and it has a wing flap cycle. When it flies away, they just pivot that animation and move the dragon away. Now that’s how it was in the original but, for this, it seems like it really wouldn’t have taken much to animate that dragon actually turning and flying off naturally. Small thing but it bugs me and it’s an example of where I think this remake just needed a bit more attention.

But like I said in the first play thread, because the sequel is a much more confident game on its own, I think a sequel remake done to this standard would still be a really good game. And this one honestly isn’t bad. It’s just not what it could have been. And I’ll take this over no Panzer Dragoon.

Comment

VGC reporting several MARIO remakes for switch to coincide with the 35th anniversary

Comment

Eurogamer have also said Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine remasters are due as well, alongside Galaxy 1&2 and 3D World, would be nice to have all the Mario titles in one place.
                        Also can’t wait to play Sunshine again, was always one of my favourites, screw the haters.

Comment

Hopefully they'll be better than the farce that was the 25th Anniversay Collection on Wii.

Comment

Just realised that April Fools is on Wednesday.

Lol.

Comment

This sounds very unlikely unless they are absolutely bare bones and, even then, the amount of work it would seem to take to get each one working seems like it would be a large enough undertaking. I’m keeping my expectations in check here.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                Yes for Virtual Racing but, for me, that wouldn’t have done it for Panzer Dragoon. I played the original relatively recently (okay maybe two years ago...) and it’s janky and very rough around the edges (unlike the sequel which, in spite of Saturn tech, is far more refined and polished). For me, it’s not that this remake did too much. It didn’t do enough. The only new issue introduced is that enemies sometimes blend with the scenery. Pretty much every other issue it inherits from the original and they didn’t improve on it. They shouldn’t have used the same aiming visuals, for example.

There’s one example in the remake that really bugs me. And I know maybe it won’t bug anyone else but there is a dragon which flies close to yours and it has a wing flap cycle. When it flies away, they just pivot that animation and move the dragon away. Now that’s how it was in the original but, for this, it seems like it really wouldn’t have taken much to animate that dragon actually turning and flying off naturally. Small thing but it bugs me and it’s an example of where I think this remake just needed a bit more attention.

But like I said in the first play thread, because the sequel is a much more confident game on its own, I think a sequel remake done to this standard would still be a really good game. And this one honestly isn’t bad. It’s just not what it could have been. And I’ll take this over no Panzer Dragoon.
                                Interesting perspective. The main thing that stuck out to me - and this is just going by the trailers I watched - is the visuals. It looks obviously shinier and betterer, but I don't feel it hard that stark, lonely look the original had.

OK, some of that was probably that they struggled to get much on-screen, but the aesthetic of the original series is definitely quite weird and unusual. This more colourful look feels less strange and not as close as it should be to the original art.

EDIT: And I should add, I agree with your points about the targeting reticule and other gameplay stuff. That should've been fixed, using the ideas already developed successfully for Zwei.
                                Last edited by wakka; 30-03-2020, 16:11.

Comment

Working...
                                X