X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    If it helps I have a much stronger dessenting view of BOTW
    Oh, I don't doubt it. But I'm sure that you'll soon regale us with your weird "The Switch is actually a failure!" mental gymnastics again soon enough!

Comment

Plus side on that is the Switch should outsell 3DS/WiiU soon so that'll be that concern abated till next-gen

Comment

Plus side on that is the Switch should outsell 3DS/WiiU soon so that'll be that concern abated till next-gen
        Everybody Else: Nintendo Switch is the fourth-best selling Nintendo hardware of all-time.

Neon: bUt tHE nINteNdO sWiTcH hAs dEfInItELy fAiLeD. I cAn PrOvE iT. LoOk aT mY MaThS!!!!!11111!!!!!

Comment

It could sell 200m units - my original point would still be right

Comment

It could sell 200m units - my original point would still be right
            Nope. It would be even more wrong.

It's quite simple. Nintendo's latest flagship home console has comfortably outsold its last flasghip console, making it a massive success by literally every metric that can be chosen.

Painfully easy to understand, and no weird mental arithmetic from you can change that. Soz.

Comment

Wii 101.63
              NES 61.91
              Nintendo Switch 55.77
              SNES 49.10
              Nintendo 64 32.93
              GameCube 21.74
              Wii U 13.56

its got a log way to go to get past the Wii bust should pass the NES easily

Comment

What the switch has sold was never the argument. The argument was that if it sold less than WiiU & 3DS that wouldn't be a good thing and no amount of history rewriting can change that. Soz

Comment

What the switch has sold was never the argument. The argument was that if it sold less than WiiU & 3DS that wouldn't be a good thing and no amount of history rewriting can change that. Soz
                  Wiiu and 3ds sales combined??? what a weird thing to point out

Comment

There's logic there - the Switch has to do the job of a successor to both systems and so essentially needs to meet the sales of both.

But then does the PS4 have to meet sales of the PS3 and Vita combined because Sony didn't do another handheld? I can see why it's easier to apply that to the Switch but that example might also show why it could be a bit flawed. Bottom line is that it's one system, not two.

Comment

Yep, the Vita was an additional revenue source for Sony whereas the Switch is the integration of two product lines inyo one. Ultimately if Switch had sold less than WiiU + 3DS combined it would mean that transition would have meant a useebase decline, software sales decline etc so absolutely critical to the company and as a reflection of the systems success. All moot now that it's sailing past that target though, the system has undoubtedly expanded Nintendos audience.

Comment

But then what if every Switch owner buys 4x as many first-party Nintendo games compared to the Wii and DS combined?

The WiiU hardware sales were wack, but the software spoke a different story entirely.

Comment

Yep, also a key factor. Though this debate began way, way earlier in the Switches life so was more relevant then

Comment

Revisiting these Mario games is really interesting, I think I basically feel the inverse about Mario games than nearly every other title out there.

Most titles, they really put the effort into the first level (or two) the atmosphere, setting, the mechanics, the effort gets front loaded and as a lot of games these days have character progression where you become ultimately too powerful, the impact of the core mechanic is lost over time.

Mario isn't like that. The effort goes into making the introductory levels just that, and the difficulty curve works for players of all skill levels. I'm now 82 stars back into Galaxy and it is really starting to take off. The mechanics that are introduced don't overpower you, they don't make you unstoppable but they do coerce you into playing the game to a higher standard.

I would class Galaxy (1 and 2), 64 and Odyssey in this way, i need to revisit Sunshine when I'm in a better mood but it does show how well Nintendo have buttered their best bread over the years.

Comment

Sunshine shows how Nintendo dropped the bread butter side down and then stepped on it.

I'm being way too dramatic. It's fun but I'm finding it as frustrating on a replay now as I did back in the day. It's nowhere near as polished as the others.

Comment

It was even stranger trying to play the Japanese import version and not being able to read the text.

Comment

Working...
                                X