Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually won the Japanese version of sunshine from this very site... that’s a good memory for me

Comment

I’ve just joined the Switch owners club with a lite model. I’m now looking for recommendations what to play on it. I’m particularly keen on shmups and platforming games.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
        I’ve just joined the Switch owners club with a lite model. I’m now looking for recommendations what to play on it. I’m particularly keen on shmups and platforming games.
        So there's this game, OK, it sounds weird, but it's about this Italian plumber, bear with me though because it's actually really good...

Seriously though, I would play Odyssey before anything else. It's so, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          So there's this game, OK, it sounds weird, but it's about this Italian plumber, bear with me though because it's actually really good...

Seriously though, I would play Odyssey before anything else. It's so, so good.
          I’ve tried time and again to get on with Mario 64 and it doesn’t gel with me. Does Odyssey feel substantially different?

Comment

I’ve tried time and again to get on with Mario 64 and it doesn’t gel with me. Does Odyssey feel substantially different?
            Hmm. Long time since I've played 64. Tempted to say 'no', but then at the same time I feel the game is definitely more reactive and fluid than 64 in terms of feel.

It's broadly the same sort of thing though, so maybe you won't like it. But I'd honestly say that it's really worth giving it a try. 64 is 25 years old now and Odyssey is more modern game.

EDIT: On Neon's 'We have to judge Switch sales by whether they've beaten 3DS+WiiU sales', yeah, it makes sense. I don't really get why it's such a bone of contention that he ever suggested it to be honest. It's definitely an important perspective for considering how successful the Switch is - and it reinforces what a smash it's been.

Comment

Odyssey builds on Mario 64 so there are huge similarities obviously, but it's important to keep in mind that there is about 20 years between them and many iterations inbetween so a lot has changed, been refined and improved. If you don't like 3D Mario games at their core, though, I would have thought there is a good chance Odyssey might not grab you.

Comment

It definitely more refined than Mario 64 - there are so many secrets hidden everywhere and a superb attention to detail that call back to older games - it's well worth a look. There some absolute stand-out moments, such as New Donk City - no spoilers, but that area's theme shine-gets all of Mario 64 on its own.

Comment

So Rocket League is F2P now? Just been trying it for the first time and ****ing hell this is fun.

Comment

It's a great platform for shooters, especially in handheld mode, which should suit you. A couple of games have TATE options, but it's no great loss if you can't rotate the screen.

There are some classic coin-op shooters in the Arcade Archives series (full list of games here: https://www.nintendolife.com/guides/...-our-top-picks)

There are a bunch of great NeoGeo shooters in the ACA NeoGeo series (Pulstar, Blazing Star, for example). Again, there's a full list here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._Neo_Geo_games

Then there are the Sega Ages games, which include the likes of Thunderforce and Fantasy Zone (https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._our_top_picks)

Finally, this is a good overall overall guide to the best shmups on the Switch. I've bought quite a few from this list. https://www.nintendolife.com/guides/...-switch-shmups

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                      Ultimately if Switch had sold less than WiiU + 3DS combined it would mean that transition would have meant a useebase decline, software sales decline etc so absolutely critical to the company and as a reflection of the systems success. All moot now that it's sailing past that target though, the system has undoubtedly expanded Nintendos audience.
                      It wouldn't necessarily mean a user-base decline, as many of the Wii U owners will also have bought a 3DS, and the plethora of different 3DS and 2DS versions further complicated it ( I ended up with six but only two Switches so far). The number of 3DS consoles + number of Wii U's sold is considerably greater than the actual user-base.

Comment

That's true, especially if the how many 3DS's did you own thread is anything to go by

Comment

Originally posted by gordon View Post
                          It's a great platform for shooters, especially in handheld mode, which should suit you. A couple of games have TATE options, but it's no great loss if you can't rotate the screen.

Finally, this is a good overall overall guide to the best shmups on the Switch. I've bought quite a few from this list. https://www.nintendolife.com/guides/...-switch-shmups
                          Thanks for that. I've ordered the first of the Psikyo collections and got my eye on the Bravo pack too. And just because it was cheap and I really liked the arcade game BITD I've grabbed Virtua Racing too. Rather impressive port. Looks better than the original and runs at a better frame rate.

Comment

I know this doesn't help you as a Lite owner, but a FlipGrip on a standard Switch is a real treat for vertical shmups!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              I know this doesn't help you as a Lite owner, but a FlipGrip on a standard Switch is a real treat for vertical shmups!

Nice. I'll probably end up with a Pro controller to enjoy some tate action.

Comment

Grand Theft Auto III arrives on Nintendo Switch!

But turns out it's by homebrew devs and is now doing the rounds with Vice City apparently due to follow.

Comment

Working...
                                X