This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
    Speculation the emulators in 3D All-Stars was chosen to facilitate future releases after code for features not used in any of the games on the collection was found.

Sounds plausable to me. A Paper Mario collection would be pretty cool to have.
    It'd be cool... But hopefully those would be 60fps. I assume it'll come down to them testing if it works okay, and if it does, fine, if not, then no extra work gets done so we're stuck with 30. I say this because people have said apparently if you run Sunshine at 60, it does cause a number of glitches as the game was designed for 30 (Shadow of the Colossus was the same; the animations were keyed and saved in a manner that only worked at 30fps, so while you could raise the framerate, the character movements would stay at 30 while the particle effects would be smoother/playing in fast-forward).

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      It'd be cool... But hopefully those would be 60fps. I assume it'll come down to them testing if it works okay, and if it does, fine, if not, then no extra work gets done so we're stuck with 30. I say this because people have said apparently if you run Sunshine at 60, it does cause a number of glitches as the game was designed for 30 (Shadow of the Colossus was the same; the animations were keyed and saved in a manner that only worked at 30fps, so while you could raise the framerate, the character movements would stay at 30 while the particle effects would be smoother/playing in fast-forward).
      I don't think they'd mess with it too much tbh, not after seeing this collection. Maybe add widescreen if it didn't muck anything up but not much else.

Somewhat unrelated, but Mario 64 just got ported to DOS.

Here it is running via Glide.

And here it is via software rendering

Comment

All Stars turned up for me today surprisingly. The games are all superb and, even if Nintendo did absolutely nothing to them, it would still be a fantastic collection so I’m happy with it... and yet, having a quick go of the games, it’s hard not to wish that they had given Mario 64 a lick of paint and a bit of a fix up. It’s definitely showing it’s age and it’s not just in the low res models or the textures, it’s also in things like wobbly camera moves. With the redone DS version, I have to wonder what it would have taken to polish this up.

Sunshine looks gorgeous by comparison and it’s amazing how far the visuals came in just a few years. Although already I’ve had visibility issues due to the camera. Still, looks lovely. And Galaxy is beautiful of course. The jumps in the graphics in those games kind of led Mario with nowhere to go and that’s not much of a negative - it’s just that these games look great even now. The jump from 64 to Sunshine is massive and makes the jump from Galaxy to Odyssey look barely noticeable.

Anyway, they seem to play well on the system, although motion controls for the star fragments might take a while to get used to. All in all, regardless of being pretty bare bones (although I do appreciate Sunshine in wide screen), it’s a string collection.

Comment

I think it's quite crappy but I will persevere.

64 is fine but the recent PC port by hobbyists is way better so it makes more sense to play that in higher res and in widescreen.
          Sunshine looks decent. The widescreen views add a lot to the game but it could be a lot sharper and the lack of inversion for aiming is awful, especially as that was the original control scheme.
          Galaxy looks way better, but some of the textures could have been replaced as there is a lot of colour banding. The controls are also bad, as the remote and nunchuk was such a big part of the game. Aiming with the pro controller just feels wrong. Doing 2 things at once like that is very wii u! Which leaves the joycon control. The aiming isn't as reactive as a wii remote so it always feels laggy. They also arent nearly as comfortable to hold as a wii remote and nunchuk. I wish I could just use those.

These games should have been properly altered to be controlled with a pro controller. Example, there is no real need for a star bits pointer. Just have them automatically move toward mario like a lego game. This is pure laziness.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
            I think it's quite crappy but I will persevere.

64 is fine but the recent PC port by hobbyists is way better so it makes more sense to play that in higher res and in widescreen.
            Sunshine looks decent. The widescreen views add a lot to the game but it could be a lot sharper and the lack of inversion for aiming is awful, especially as that was the original control scheme.
            Galaxy looks way better, but some of the textures could have been replaced as there is a lot of colour banding. The controls are also bad, as the remote and nunchuk was such a big part of the game. Aiming with the pro controller just feels wrong. Doing 2 things at once like that is very wii u! Which leaves the joycon control. The aiming isn't as reactive as a wii remote so it always feels laggy. They also arent nearly as comfortable to hold as a wii remote and nunchuk. I wish I could just use those.

These games should have been properly altered to be controlled with a pro controller. Example, there is no real need for a star bits pointer. Just have them automatically move toward mario like a lego game. This is pure laziness.
            completely agree Played a lot of it over the weekend and it dose feel like a really lazy bare bones port for a £50 release, if it was £10 a game, in this pack id be much happier with it being so functional. It feels like less of a Mario celebration and more of a rushed after thought. They could of easily put a lot more on here without even trying. a little bit of history on each game some of the promotional material surrounding each game and a high res of the instructions wouldn't of taken much at all. it would have done wonders to make this feel like they really cared about these older IPs too.

The biggest crime is The lack of customization for the controls in all the games as its glaring. When you take into account the work other dev's have done to help people with disability's enjoy their games you would think that it would be a bare minimum requirement from a release like this to have map-able controls.

As for how they play as much as much as i have a soft spot for Mario sunshine and loved it on release on Gamecube is not an amazing game, it all feels really stop and start with some levels taking under 2 minutes and others like the slippy harbor level being an endless climb were one wrong move sees you back at the start. Having The wind things Knock you right back to the start when your meter's from the end can be maddening at times. It's not fun having to climb the same boring chain link fences for five minutes over and over. This sort of cheap level design feels like a relic of early 3d games and i never really found myself getting would up with odyssey in the same way the Harbor level winds me up where only two stages in its only gonna get worse .
            Last edited by Lebowski; 21-09-2020, 11:04.

Comment

Ricco Harbour - Episode 8 - Yoshis Fruit Adventure!

Falling in the sea, having to swim back to shore, climb back up, stomp for more fruit and then kick it back to that damned egg so you can try again. Rinse and repeat every time you make a wrong move.

I dont mind tricky platforming but don't waste my time like that.

Comment

Sunshine is a great game to play to beat, and an awful one to 100%. About 70% of the game is a blast and the remaining 30% is frustrating and/or filler.

Comment

It's the Odyssey of its generation

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                    Except for the fact that Odyssey is now so comfortably superior to both Sunshine and 64 that it isn't even funny.

Comment

No, because Sunshine was semi-trash.

Comment

Odyssey is better than Sunshine, but the endgame sucks in both

Comment

Odyssey is better than Sunshine, but the endgame sucks in both
                          Disingenuous. Minimum-star completion is possible, as it is in every 3D Mario, as you well know.

Gameplay notwithstanding, 64 has aged so badly in so many QoL aspects, including the camera (which I held up as the best 3D Mario camera of them all but is now borderline unusable).

By every metric possible, it's Odyssey >>>>>>>> 64, and it's not even close. Only the Galaxy games have any kind of serious argument over Odyssey now.
                          Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 21-09-2020, 13:27.

Comment

TBF minimum Shine completion is perfectly doable in Sunshine too. It's a more ropey game and awkward to complete (hence the Odyssey>Sunshine) but the areas most complained about with Sunshine were never the ones I struggled with. 64 has aged a lot but tbh there I never found the camera to be an issue as its aged as the level design of the game is so simplistic by comparison. If I were less familiar with the game then possibly so but the game is a breeze. I'm fine to concede that Odyssey>64 but again that's largely down to the realities of a 20 year age gap between them both. The Galaxy's well, I wouldn't even call it a competition in terms of them winning.

Comment

The Galaxy's well, I wouldn't even call it a competition in terms of them winning.
                              ...apart of the lazy rehashing of the entire maingame in Galaxy and Galaxy 2 and asking one to play it all over again as Luigi, of course.

Comment

I'd still rather experience that than trying to 100% Odyssey again If it helps I have a much stronger dessenting view of BOTW

Comment

Working...
                                X