Hotshot Racing (PS4, Switch, XBO, PC) - Sumo Digital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
    It seems to be reviewing well elsewhere, so maybe it's an expections vs reality thing - but if you wanted a new Daytona or OutRun 2, then this is probably not for you.
    I just wanted it to be a nice retro-inspired racing game that harks back to the arcade racers of the '90s. Sadly, it exhibits none of the inspiring design flair of games like Virtua Racing, Daytona, Scud Racer, OutRun 2 etc... The visual design, while well done technically, feels bland and uninspired. The voices used are also very grating. Those aspects have really made me feel negativity towards the game.

I'm a fan of SUMO's Sonic racing games, so I'm open-minded when it comes to arcade style racers. The main reason I've lost interest in this game, is because the design has really turned me off.

Comment

Played some online with [MENTION=3220]endo[/MENTION] last night and the connection was good. Nice and smooth.

It does look lovely, no doubt, but, I agree with the comments about the controls. It just feels a bit floaty. Certainly it's no OutRun 2 or Ridge Racers.

Comment

Yeah it's decent but the controls are a bit off. I've been playing it on game pass but I did just pick it up on switch as well as I think it suits the handheld really well and it was only £12.

Comment

It looks wonderful but it is let down by that handling ... and an expected lack of soul.

Comment

Had a go on the switch version last night and it's well suited to that console.

I think I've been playing it a little wrong though. I thought you had to let off the accelerator to drift but seems you can just keep the gas on for the duration and simply tap the brake to do it?

Played some cops and robbers online and it was super smooth but I didn't really like that game mode much.

Need to play a bit more before I pass final judgement but it's ok. It's probably worth the asking price but yeah, it's not going to affect the top tier of arcade racers.

Comment

One of the switch reviews on YouTube says to play on the higher difficulties as the game is actually faster?

Might give that a whirl later

Comment

Ah, that's a shame. Was hoping this might have some of that OutRun 2 magic.

Will probably leave it for now and wait for it turn up in a sale.

Comment

Originally posted by BearBoy View Post
                  Ah, that's a shame. Was hoping this might have some of that OutRun 2 magic.

Will probably leave it for now and wait for it turn up in a sale.
                  It's free currently in game pass and discounted on switch £12 (usually £15). So not bad, if that helps

Comment

Cheers Nonny. Would be getting it on PS4. I think it is discounted as an introductory offer atm. I should probably just stop being a tight wad

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                      I think I've been playing it a little wrong though. I thought you had to let off the accelerator to drift but seems you can just keep the gas on for the duration and simply tap the brake to do it?
                      Ohh, I did not know that! Thanks for pointing that out.

I'll give that a go when I play it next, see if that improves the drifting feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                        Ohh, I did not know that! Thanks for pointing that out.

I'll give that a go when I play it next, see if that improves the drifting feel.
                        You certainly don't lose so much speed and can turn in easier. I dunno as I was playing it on switch last night where I've been on Xbox before but it felt more accurate and easier to drift and hold it in the corners because of this.

I'll give it a whirl on Xbox later tonight when I'm back home.

Comment

I found the game to be crap, amazed Sumo are behind it

Comment

I'm so upset to hear all the bad news about this game. Like many of you I was looking forward to it but I don't think I'll bother now.

Comment

I'm enjoying it. I wouldn't say it's crap but it's definitely not the next ridge racer either. It's probably a solid 7/10 for me currently.

Comment

Yeah, it’s maybe only a few tweaks away from being a decent game, the handling as it is lacks a bit of something.

Comment

Working...
                                X