No announcement yet.

Hotshot Racing (PS4, Switch, XBO, PC) - Sumo Digital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been playing it on Gamepass and glad I didn't buy it.
    Has promising elements but feels a pale shadow of the classics its been inspired by.
    The driving experience is decent, drifting is pretty good, but the other racers are obnoxious and are constantly ramming into you, there is also elastic banding going on. Visually looks good, but experience overall just feels synthetic.
    I've only played the first 2 tournaments but I think all the courses seem like they have copied outrun 2/ridge racer 7/virtua racing locations.

Comment

It's been a bit of a letdown moment for this run of low budget arcade racers, I like the style of Hot Shots Racing but yeah, the handling isn't very moreish and it quickly runs out of attention holding power. I switched over to the more positively reviewed Internial Racing and to be honest it's pretty boring too. It's beyond time a major title was done, or Namco pulled its finger out.

Comment

I haven't even bothered to try this via Game Pass. To be honest I kind of always thought it was going to be a disappointment. I'd have liked to have been wrong though!

One reason I've not bothered with it is because I've been enjoying Tony Hawk's 1+2 so much. If only Namco would take the same approach to a Ridge/Rev/Rage/Type 4 compilation update. All the cars, all the tracks, all the music, plus the authentic gameplay, but rebuilt from the ground up in HD.

It could be so good.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          If only Namco would take the same approach to a Ridge/Rev/Rage/Type 4 compilation update. All the cars, all the tracks, all the music, plus the authentic gameplay, but rebuilt from the ground up in HD.
          I’d be all over that. Amazing they’ve never done it.

Comment

I really want to try Inertial Racing, thanks [MENTION=2625]randombs[/MENTION]!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              I really want to try Inertial Racing, thanks [MENTION=2625]randombs[/MENTION]!
              It's... interesting!

What's the best drift in the world of racing games? Maybe it's the blue-blooded pair of Out Run, with its stick-induced…

I tried the demo on Steam which is a single stage time trial and two different cars(both with online leaderboards). I'm tending to agree with this comment on that article:

The left stick does little more than fine-tune direction on straights; it feels like the steering wheel is in a vice. They've nerfed the fundamental feel of the driving for the sake of getting their gimmick to work.
              But honestly, I feel the same about Ridge Racer. I find the cars barely turn until I start power sliding. But those power slides just feel like timed animations with the same screeching sound effect each time.

Inertial Drift is closer to Outrun 2 in this regard. Outrun 2's power slides feel like getting caught in a current and being taken along for the ride, but you can steer left and right during the power slide to move your car around on the track - there are other cars to contend with so steering during the drift makes sense. It's just you against the clock in ID(all cars are ghosts, even when racing together), so you only have to worry about the barriers.

Also, in other driving games the left stick is analogous(pun intended) to the steering wheel controlling the front wheels. It feels like I'm doing what a driver would do to drift in a real car.

In ID, it feels like the left stick controls the front two wheels, and the right stick controls the rear wheels.

I'm going to play some more, though. It's lovely to look at.

Comment

So I have to ask if I'm playing the same game as some of you.
                I ended up watching the Digital Foundry video on Hotshot Racing and decided to buy it since it has a 20% discount at the moment on Xbox Live.
                I really like it. I don't think there's anything wrong with the controls. Drifting was second nature. The AI can be a twat but again I don't mind because it reminds me of the Arcade racers. Some dick would always ram you.

I'm playing on the Xbox One X in native 4K at a solid 60fps and have to say I'm really having a lot of fun. The only real complaint I have is that some tracks are too short.
                Last edited by Yakumo; 15-09-2020, 23:05.

Comment

Yeah I'm playing in 4K on the One X and 720p handheld on the Switch and it's almost perfectly executed in terms of graphics and features.

The controls though are floaty and take getting used to. I think they could be better but also you do get used to them.

It's a solid 7/10 for me but it loses marks for pretty annoying character audio and those controls and the aggressive AI.

If they could toggle rubber banding in the options and make the controls feel a bit more weighted I think it would edge more towards a 9.

Comment

I'm with Yakumo. Only played an hour so far but am loving it. I was over-correcting the drift at first but once you stop doing that and learn to boost out of corners and on the finishing straight, you're off.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Monkey Balls View Post
                      I'm with Yakumo. Only played an hour so far but am loving it. I was over-correcting the drift at first but once you stop doing that and learn to boost out of corners and on the finishing straight, you're off.
                      Maybe because I played the Sonic racing games to death but I just got straight in to this. No issues at all.
                      Like [MENTION=221]nonny[/MENTION] said though, the character voices during a race are a bit annoying. Would love to switch them off.

Comment

You can turn off character audio in the audio settings. I searched for that option within 15 minutes!

Comment

Originally posted by doodledude View Post
                          You can turn off character audio in the audio settings. I searched for that option within 15 minutes!
                          Good to know. I didn't even think to look...

Played this for about 4 hours last night, on my phone via Xbox cloud streaming. Absolutely flawless for the entire session.

Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by doodledude View Post
                            Cool. Then that is getting switched off tonight.

Comment

Must admit, I've had a real turnaround with this game.

I started on the Aston Character combined with the DB9 inspired car and found it floaty and that undid the beautiful graphics, feel and track design. However after a few people in here saying try the Drift cars and don't let off the gas while iniatiating the drift, I started to appreciate the control more. Today my Brother was shocked when I told him about the struggles with the game and we've just played around 2 hours of it now online and I have to say, I really like it now!

I've found myself enjoying the balanced carsa more (The McLaren F1 and Toyota Supra inspired cars, both marked as Balanced) and I've now become used to the BTCC feel of the AI; bashing you and scrambiling for places, along with the control of the drifting now.

So, a complete 180 on my opinion! If anyone else bounced off it, I urge you to try other cars and allow yourself to bash other cars during racing as that clearly is what the Developers were going for.

Comment

I've done all GP on hard using the top speed cars mostly and that is pretty easy once you settle in with the controls.

Expert though is kicking my butt. I can't get through the first race in 1st... Usually I can run a perfect lap but once the AI cars catch you you're usually destroyed.

Anyone got any tips for expert mode specifically?

Comment

Working...
                                X