Desert Island Discs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desert Island Discs

Fully aware we’ve done our top five of all time numerous times in the past, let’s look at it from a particular perspective: you are stuck on a desert island so which five games do you bring with you? Think of the context of the situation - you are isolated with no contact from the outside world, you don’t know when, if ever, you will be rescued, or indeed you might actually never want to be. Given this solitary situation, online games are permissible, and we will assume that whichever ones you may choose still have active communities. Also mindful that most modern games are designed to cater for online play from the off, I shall set a completely arbitrary cut off year of 2005 just to keep this semi-retro.

Of course, not all games would be online. Some might want to look at more open-ended titles, some might look at games which inspire creativity, some might find puzzle games a good way to exercise the brain, and some may just decide that it will take a lifetime to find all the exits in Super Mario World. Whichever way you are inclined, carefully consider the context of the situation when compiling your list!

I made a Desert Island topic a while back: https://bordersdown.net/threads/1266...=DESERT+ISLAND

But I feel like changing a few:

1.Wave Race 64 - Instead of having a real jet ski, I'd make do with this excellent game. I still really enjoy playing through it.
    2.Sensible World of Soccer - I'd never get bored of playing this brilliant footy game.
    3.F-Zero - It might be quite a simple game with not much content, but I never get bored of the fast-paced racing and catchy music.
    4.OutRun - A game that would really cheer me up with the fantasy of driving a Ferrari(with a girlfriend in the passenger seat) through scenic environments and feeling exhilarated by the speed and uplifting synth tunes.
    5.Kingdom Grand Prix - The fact that it's a shoot 'em up focused on racing other characters, gives it more depth than a standard title in the genre. I really like the beautifully drawn graphics and majestic music. It would be the perfect opportunity to get really good at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
      I made a Desert Island topic a while back: https://bordersdown.net/threads/1266...=DESERT+ISLAND
      Yes, I do remember, but I was hoping posters might think about actually being on a desert island with no social interaction, no creature comforts, and what games might keep them sane rather than just reeling off your five favourite games.

For instance, mine would be (and these are not necessarily my top five games):

1. Phantasy Star Online (Dreamcast)

What a time sink this was for me back in the day. I loved the social aspect of it as much as, if not more than, the actual gameplay. Wonderful music, the lush environments, the sense of camaraderie, hunting rarities... I don’t think I would get bored playing this, and it would provide me with contact to the outside world and a sense of escapism by entering the world of Ragol once again.

2. Street Fighter 3: Third Strike (Xbox)

Never played the Xbox version in my life. I have, however, poured over 1000 hours into the arcade, Dreamcast and Fightcade versions over the years and I am neither bored of it nor nowhere near where I’d like to be in terms of competency. I picked the Xbox version for its online capability and its compliance with my own pre-2005 stipulation, and so long as it’s close enough to the CPS-3 version, would happily spend thousands more hours playing it.

3. Frontier: Elite 2 (Amiga)

The only game in this list that might actually make my regular top five. Having the whole galaxy to explore would help combat any onset of institutionalisation.

4. Music 2000 (PlayStation)

Under any other circumstances, this “game” would never come close to my top 100 list, never mind top five. However, I love music, and having no iPhone, record deck, or even Walkman on this island could drive me insane. Having Music 2000 on the other hand would help me become an accomplished music producer - I’d be kind of forced to get good, otherwise I’d have nothing to listen to but my own sh*t compositions.

5. Chessmaster (DS)

If ever I make it off this island, it’d be great to think I spent my time productively. And if ever I can beat my mate Shaun at chess then I will know that it was all worth it.

Honourable mentions:

Tetris DS - for its online capability
      Rez - for music/entertainment/relaxation
      ESP Ra De - would love to become a shmup pro
      Brain Training - was between this and Chessmaster

Comment

I was thinking how much I love the Tony Hawk's games as I was lumping the shopping home on Wednesday night.

I'm thinking I'd want all the Tony Hawk's bar V and those ones that require extra peripherals. And the THPS1 remake, I'd drop it in a big pile of cack and set it on fire.

Yeah. I was trudging home, laden with baggage, just thinking what a great game it is to play and how I love and miss it so much.

Comment

Not all retro, but still.

Civ 2. Most replayable game ever, and kills days of my life once I start a new game.

Wii Sports. I could keep track of how my body ages.

Pilot wings 64. Sometimes you want some relaxing, unhurried flying.

Ashes 14. The career mode is taking me ages to get through. Perfect for a long stint on a desert island.

Soul Calibur. In the absence of any real women, Ivy would have to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post

Last edited by Leon Retro; 03-03-2020, 15:45.

Comment

Resi V as well. 'Retro'??? I'm not sure but I'm specifically talking about the PS3 version me and my mates were blasting about on earlier.

The PS3 version is definitely the least stable but is STILL brilliantly smooth, playable and fun. In fact...it looks gorgeous. Even the little Las Plagas tendrils spouting outta neckholes after *some* decaps. It's incredibly disgusting. Icky. Brill, pure brill.

Resi V is one of the very best games even in its weakest port AND that port can actually be played in Co-Op splitscreen 2P mode.

And it's amazing.

I've got both Gold Editions on 360 and PS3 from Cashies for £1 each. All the DLC on disc.

Or just buy the HD remaster and experience gaming sex the way it should be shagged.

Resi V is the BEST.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                Resi V as well. 'Retro'??? I'm not sure but I'm specifically talking about the PS3 version me and my mates were blasting about on earlier.
                Maybe someone in their early twenties can look back at 2009 as the "Good old days" , but it feels like yesterday to me. I still think PS3 games look good -- despite 720p being a bit lo-res.

Comment

Same here. It still looks too good, better than a majority of games these days. It's a very impressive game and has replayability off the charts. And two types of Co-Op. Extra modes galore. And fun DLC. What a game.

What. A. Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                    You could always go with something like Love Plus on DS. Or, if we’re really going down that rabbit hole, Party Games for the Amiga.

Comment

What. A. Game.
                      I'm far from a fan of Resi games, but you've made me feel like playing Resi V.

360 games are still cheapy cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                        I'm far from a fan of Resi games, but you've made me feel like playing Resi V.

360 games are still cheapy cheap.
                        They got IV and V playable demos on Switch shop if you fancy dipping a toe.

Edit: or might be V an VI, not sure

Comment

Resi V isn't really a Resi game. It's a gory, super-fun violence sim where you can buy, sell, farm, upgrade galore and it's never a chore to play.

Once you learn the combat pace (fast n brutal) then it gets very exciting. I was noticing last night how there's a siegey bit very early on where you get swarmed by loads of baddies and an executioner boss. It's super-tough to begin with. But once you do it, it's the best tutorial the game could ever give you, it teaches you the basics straight from the off. Very clever.

I'd say just get V for now. The remaster is bloody fantastic, too. Capcom have loads of sales, you can often get this for like £15 as part of a bundle with 4 and 6. If you see that, get them all, they're all brill remasters!

Comment

Watching this vid right now. It nicely illustrates that siegey bit I was on about very early in the vid:

Comment

I was noticing last night how there's a siegey bit very early on where you get swarmed by loads of baddies and an executioner boss. It's super-tough to begin with. But once you do it, it's the best tutorial the game could ever give you, it teaches you the basics straight from the off. Very clever.
                              Ta for that - it's the bit I got stuck on. Always meant to go back but never did. I will now.

Comment

Working...
                              X