No announcement yet.

PS1 appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about Gungage by Konami, one of the most Saturny games in PSOne, excellent soundtrack too.

Comment

Ha, I'm another one who got into legitimate import games via PS1 piracy. I remember playing the Japanese version of Gran Turismo 2 ages before the PAL release and greatly preferred the soundtrack. Back then I had some lousy NTSC to PAL converter as my TV didn't support 60Hz. Before I got it I had to play the US version of Silent Hill in greyscale (which made it more spooky to be fair).

As a counterpoint to all the Japanese import stuff, I'd like to mention an oddly underappreciated Western release - Pipe Mania 3D (Pipe Dreams 3D in the US). It's an ace little puzzler based on the old 8-bit release and has a nice soundtrack that I sometimes hum while I'm bored.

Comment

I wasn't aware pipemania was on PS1 i shall have to look into that as i do like that game. Ended up getting it on the DS a while back.

Found this today & i have been laughing like a fool over it, a horror fishing game called killer bass. The cutscenes are amazing lol, the one where a toddler is playing at the waterside and gets wrecked by a fish is hillarious the premise is more interesting than the gameplay sadly but it did make me laugh

Comment

I want it. That looks like a great oddity.

Comment

This is the stage where the toddler gets it loool, seems it was also released in the states as monster bass.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
              How about Gungage by Konami, one of the most Saturny games in PSOne, excellent soundtrack too.
              That looks pretty fun, iso hunting time.

Comment

This one seems interesting it's called welcome house, basically your uncle thought it would be hillarious to booby trap his house and then let you try and find them all. Seems fun for a playthrough but not sure how much enjoyment you'd get out of it on repeated playthroughs once you have seen all the booby traps but it's quirky enough that i'm tempted to add it to the library.

Comment

Been a while since i updated my PS1 collection pics with the newer wave of purchases, sadly that mint sealed puyo sun never got here as the ebay seller said he couldn't find the game and cancelled my purchase so i'm still looking for a mint copy of that. It's been slowing down a bit though recently as my wallet can only afford so many of the remaining ones on my wish list especially as there's quite a few that are in the £100+ bracket. Still it gives me time to enjoy what i bought, in between PS1 game researching.

Have to admit since i found out about that PS1 digital mod board to add HDMI into original hardware i have been hunting for a compatible machine to do the work on it seems like the perfect solution for me. In the meantime i have a rad2x cable coming in september but down the line i'd happily upgrade my setup to the original chunky PS1 if it means i can get a screen output like i have seen in the vids of that HDMI board on youtube the fact it can add in scanlines to your hearts content as well as loads of other neat settings while keeping the lag and resolution switching like it's supposed to be seems perfect.

Spent a good portion of today playing a wonderfully charming little game called Charumera you play as a little noodle seller walking the streets of the quite frankly beautiful stylised town you live in. I love how you can make up your own ramen dishes but i have yet to figure out the best combinations depending on what time & area of town you pick to set up your little ramen cart. The game has a very special feel a bit like houkago shounen on the DS or the boku no natsuyasumi games, games like this don't get made often so i love to hang out in the nostalgic old world of showa era type stuff. Still want to get back into ramen bashi at some point but that one is a lot harder on my brain.

The game is also based off the real product you can buy too, charumera is a well known brand of noodles.
                  Last edited by importaku; 22-08-2020, 22:03.

Comment

Charumera looks lovely!

Comment

I think it's a shame that all the PS1 modding is happening to the original machine; whereas the PSOne revision is honestly one of the prettiest industrial designs I've seen on any piece of hardware.

Comment

Do you know if the PSOne can have different region power supplies attached without killing it? If I buy a Japanese console does it need a step down or can I just use a UK power supply/UK lead into the power supply?

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
                          Do you know if the PSOne can have different region power supplies attached without killing it? If I buy a Japanese console does it need a step down or can I just use a UK power supply/UK lead into the power supply?
                          I am almost entirely certain that they can swap over without problems.

Comment

That's true of any machine that doesn't have an internal power supply!

Comment

That's exactly what i did with my tiny japanese psone, i bought a official uk power supply for it and it works totally fine using one even with the portable screen attached. Annoyingly on the original gen large models it's one of those figure 8 cables you plug in directly making it a lot harder as you have to find a UK power supply board to swap inside the machine as plugging a UK powered cable into a japanese ps1 with its jp power board still in it will kill the power board instantly when 240v goes into it as it's expecting 110v.

Easier having the smaller newer psone because of it but sadly as mentioned the mods are not been aimed at that model yet.
                              Last edited by importaku; 25-08-2020, 12:17.

Comment

A bunch of you guys have got really cool collections on here and I'd love to wander around admiring all the cool or rare games, but [MENTION=39]importaku[/MENTION] operates on another level!

I love all your figures and stuff, but I probably wouldn't have a clue about 97.3% of the games in your collection!

You have a seemingly endless collection of fascinating curios!

Comment

Working...
                                X