EGM Magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EGM Magazine

This was my gaming bible before EDGE emerged and still holds pride of place for being the number one source for imported information alongside Mean Machines, Diehard Gamefan and C&VG with EDGE moving into a consumeristic T3 role....as I grew older.

My very first issue

I only really remember them for the Shen Long joke. I would look forwards to the mag, but it got bigger and bigger with 100 pages of ads (typically American media), hardly any text, and tiny images of new games stolen from Japan press. With 2 sentences saying 'Street fighter 6 is coming... might be a 100meg cart!!!!!'. The reviews were dodgy. Actually Mean Machines sucked too sad to say it, it was just non stop promotion, with any game they slightly liked getting 90+. Never seemed to have a single feature (until they split in two), just screen shots, and they obviously wrote it in 2 days after playing games all month. CVG was a lot better despite similar staff.

Comment

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post
      This was my gaming bible before EDGE emerged and still holds pride of place for being the number one source for imported information alongside Mean Machines, Diehard Gamefan and C&VG with EDGE moving into a consumeristic T3 role....as I grew older.

My very first issue

I still have most of mine. I really liked it as they was so many pages of gaming. GameFan was the best mind, that mag was something else and right up there with Mean Machines . I also really liked Total Control, was a shame it never lasted long

Comment

Also, Superplay was the first magazine that clearly showed the difference between 50 and 60hz consoles and games, in their very first issue. They have to be commended for that, because obviously all the others didn't want to piss off Nintendo and Sega with the truth.

Comment

I used to get it occasionally. I found the writing style a bit juvenile and the magazine had loads of content but not much of great quality.

It was worth it for the wealth of ads and screenshots, it was nice seeing what the US was getting and *hoping* a lot of stuff came out over here...though that rarely happened. All that Vic Tokai stuff...nah.

Do have fond memories of it, just GAMEFAN was so much better as a reading experience that I tend to gravitate toward that.

Comment

"SAGE'S CREATION" lol. Pity we never got them games. Well, some of them.

Comment

I was really saddened to hear of Jason Brookes the original editor of Superplay passing away at an early age due to Cancer last Retro Gamer issue.

The guys was an inspiration. I am going to scan his obituary and upload it. A total legend.

This was a welcome surprise last year and shows his legacy along with Wil Overton. Tony Mott started as a staff writer on Super Play to so Future Publishing has a lot to thank this magazine for along with Chris Anderson the original company founder who I have met.

Last edited by CAPCOM; 23-08-2020, 18:56.

Comment

The Greatest journalist of his generation. Sadly missed. "Uterlly Gutted" when I turned the page. Truly honestly.

I cannot upload his Obituary from Retro Gamer without hosting the document
                and it would invalidate the current Future Publishing copyright.

In the autumn of 1995, I interviewed for a writing position on Edge magazine. I had no experience in publishing; I'd sp…

In the autumn of 1995, I interviewed for a writing position on Edge magazine. I had no experience in publishing; I'd spent a year since leaving university writing manuals and

Jason is a former editor of Edge. Since then he has worked for the Asian gaming press, primarily as a foreign correspondent for Japanese media company Enterbrain, Inc (publisher of Famitsu). Super Play Staff Writer (Nov 1992 - ) Electric Brain Contributor (1993) Edge Writer (Oct 1993 - August 1994 ) Editor (August 1994 - June 1998) Sega Zone Contributor Arcade Contributor (Dec 1998 - Nov 1999) - 11 Issues DC-UK Contributor (Mar 2000 - Mar 2001) - 4 Issues LOGiN US Correspondent (Mar 2001 - Augus

God Bless..........
                Last edited by CAPCOM; 27-05-2020, 20:49.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                  Also, Superplay was the first magazine that clearly showed the difference between 50 and 60hz consoles and games, in their very first issue. They have to be commended for that, because obviously all the others didn't want to piss off Nintendo and Sega with the truth.
                  Nintendo Magazine System and Mean Machines Sega were doing that too. They were published by EMAP back in the early 1990s and they were independent so p1ssing Nintendo and Sega off wasn't a problem for them.

It was only when they moved over to Future Publishing and became official magazines at the end of the 90s that the sucking up started.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                    Nintendo Magazine System and Mean Machines Sega were doing that too. They were published by EMAP back in the early 1990s and they were independent so p1ssing Nintendo and Sega off wasn't a problem for them.

It was only when they moved over to Future Publishing and became official magazines at the end of the 90s that the sucking up started.
                    OK see I bought Mean Machines, every issue, until they split and then purchased those for a while. I also bought Megatech and CVG. I don't remember them clearly outlining pal and ntsc differences. Although they may have, I guess. Also, I remember Sega having a bit of a panic before the UK release of the Mega Drive and placing ads in ACE (lol remember them - nothing they would cover ever seemed to take off), and other magazines warning 'GREY imports' will be incompatible with official software and will not be repaired by Sega. Also I think NEC were warning people they don't support imported PC Engines.

It's also funny that most of the magazines never touched a UK console, when Mean Machines reviewed Streets of Rage the title screen was 'Bare Knuckle.' My memory is hazy now. I remember Nintendo Magazine System did a feature on Reservoir Dogs, a film they refused to clear for VHS release for a while, in a 'kids' magazine. What were they smoking?

RIP to Mr Brookes.
                    Last edited by monel; 15-03-2020, 22:25.

Comment

Working...
                    X