No announcement yet.

CoronaWatch 2019 - 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got offered the vaccine a couple of months ago due to a pre-existing condition (Crohn's) but delayed taking till it last month due to concerns it could aggravate my condition. In the past a flu likely caused one of the few flare ups I've ever had (20 years ago) and colds have always caused some short term aggravation. I've always declined the flu vaccine since and luckily I haven't had the flu again since anyway.

After taking the vaccine (Astra Zennica) I had pain in the arm and by the evening cold like symptoms which got a lot worse by the next day. After a few days it started to get better but then as I feared my Crohn's suddenly got much worse and I ended up having to go to the hospital. I got put on a course of steroids (which aren't good for the immune system or the vaccine) and am only now back to feeling as I did before. After this experience I'm not taking the 2nd dose.

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Crohn's is a nasty disease.

Comment

I've got Crohn's and I'm on immuno suppression medication and I'm having my second jab next week.

All good for me. But then my immune system is probably ****ed anyway.

They said to me, I can't come off the medication because if I get Covid and have a bad flare up I probably won't recover from it. Scary.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
          Sorry to hear that. Crohn's is a nasty disease.
          It's not bad in my case. I put a lot of effort into doing something about this particularly through changing my diet at an early stage and it's worked really well. Proper flare ups are extremely rare for me.

Comment

Changing diet is so important. I've had it 22 years on Sunday, collapsed on my 18th!
            Had a year off work after and managed it until 2018 when I ended up with another 6 months off but no second surgery.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Shoju. Friend of mine has Crohns and only half his intestine left, and had both jabs, and I don't think he got it as bad as you, so please don't be put off having the second jab.
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                Sorry to hear that Shoju. Friend of mine has Crohns and only half his intestine left, and had both jabs, and I don't think he got it as bad as you, so please don't be put off having the second jab.
                I don't think my reaction to the vaccine is necessarily typical of people with Crohn's who get the vaccine. I only came across one other case of a person experiencing a flare up after having the vaccine (although it is still early days). With my own past history though and what happened to me after the first dose I wouldn't risk taking the 2nd.

There are two aspects the side effects. The cold/flu like symptoms which are short lived and show your immune is responding very well (more so than those that have no side effects). The other is the inflammatory reaction of my condition which is unwanted and can be dangerous. There's a tendency for side effects to be stronger with the 2nd dose and that really worries me when it comes to the potential reaction I might have from my Crohn's and the kind of treatment I'd have to take to deal with that.

Comment

I got my second shot of AstraZeneca yesterday; had a text from my GP about booking at around 3, and was promptly booked in for 5:40 the same day. Different venue to the first, but again, a very slick operation. In and out very quick.

Just as with the first, only side effect so far is a sore arm, and I'm very thankful for that.

Comment

Surprise announcement for Alberta last night, lowering the eligibility age for the AZ shot to those born in 1981.
                    They will let us book online from 8am tomorrow morning. We expect the system to crash at 08:00:00.001

Comment

I've unexpectedly receive my vaccination today, long before it was due... I'm only 36!

I was taking the missus (who is eligible) for her vaccine this evening, last ones of the day. Gets hers done, just has to wait 15 minutes for any adverse reactions. While that's happening, a guy comes round the car park and knocks on my window. I was expecting "can you move your car, it's leaking oil everywhere" but instead got "how old are you mate? Do you want a vaccine? We've got two left". I love getting free stuff so I went and got it. It's the AstraZeneca one. Very pleased!

Comment

Had mine on Thursday. AZ. No reaction.

Comment

Got the second jab next week. Really looking forward to that night if the first was anything to go by. Yay.

Comment

Feels like the time has flown between jabs, just over 2 weeks left now till Jab 2 and as an AZ receiver I've really enjoyed the time being filled with clot news stories...

Comment

Getting my AZ on Thursday.

Comment

Now feel just like I did when I thought I had it last year. Tired, and heart rate on runs is sky high, unless I slow right down. Hopefully will pass soon

Comment

Working...
                                X