No announcement yet.

CoronaWatch 2019 - 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'll cop a dose very soon. It's bedlam at uni. Half the students isolating, so you're teaching simultaneously to a half-room of masked kids and the rest via weblink. Had a tutorial yesterday with a student who came back in person after a nasty bout of it, and I was really shocked at the state of him. Fit, strong guy, real sporty type, but he's been left a total physical and emotional wreck with it. Brought it home to me the dangerous myth that the young can just shrug this off.

Comment

Just back from Tesco and there are still people (mainly youngish men not wearing a mask. They are clearly in the minority now, but still Don’t seem to give a monkeys chuff. Totally oblivious to what’s going on around them.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
        Just back from Tesco and there are still people (mainly youngish men not wearing a mask. They are clearly in the minority now, but still Don’t seem to give a monkeys chuff. Totally oblivious to what’s going on around them.
        Ah, those people have a special name. I'm sure they're known as Dickheads.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          Does it not feel a lot closer to home this time, though?
          Last time is was a friend-of-a-friend who had it, this time it's friends and family.
          Definitely.

We have had 2 new members of staff that have been immediately diagnosed with it (one couldn't come in on her first day as her live-in brother had just been diagnosed and later she had a confirmed case, other started and was tested whilst I was on honeymoon).
          Now have some family members that have confirmed cases (all doing fine as far as we know so far).

People keep trying to push me to 'start living more normally' by going out shopping in the town or eat at a restaurant but I am still just not convinced and cases closer to home prove I may be right.

Comment

A guy a work with got married two months ago and lost his new wife to Covid on Saturday. I'm lost for words. So sad.

Comment

A former teacher, colleague and friend of mine passed away last week from it. She went into hospital for a different reason and caught covid there. Died 2 weeks later. She was 47. Cruel.

Comment

Aw man, that's really rough. Sorry to hear that. One of the first people I knew who got it and died had a leg injury, went to a doctor and got it there. That was the big wake up call for me very early on. She was generally really healthy. A lot of people think they aren't in the risk categories and yet people not in risk categories can still die from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  A guy a work with got married two months ago and lost his new wife to Covid on Saturday. I'm lost for words. So sad.
                  Oh man, that is just awful. So sad to hear things like that.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                    A former teacher, colleague and friend of mine passed away last week from it. She went into hospital for a different reason and caught covid there. Died 2 weeks later. She was 47. Cruel.
                    Sorry to hear that mate.

Comment

Thanks. These stories are thankfully rare and seem a million miles away until it gets this close. It's not a nice way to go either, alone and unable to breathe. She lasted 12 hours after being taken off the ventilator. Images of it keep popping into my head and it has definitely made me act more responsibly at work today, as best I can teaching teenagers anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        Aw man, that's really rough. Sorry to hear that. One of the first people I knew who got it and died had a leg injury, went to a doctor and got it there. That was the big wake up call for me very early on. She was generally really healthy. A lot of people think they aren't in the risk categories and yet people not in risk categories can still die from it.
                        It seems that hospitals need to look at themselves. Stories that nurses were moving between covid and non covid wards on the same shift are incredibly concerning. It's as if the rules we are meant to follow in society don't apply in hospitals.

Comment

Daughter is being sent home as I type this, third bout of iso since going back in September.

Comment

Just had to pick mine up at short notice because someone sent their kid in with symptoms so now they're waiting to see if they can reopen tomorrow or need to iso the class

Comment

Same here though ours came home on the bus, turns out she was sitting next to the student who got covid, and she was lending her calculator to the affectee as well.

Fun and games for the next few weeks.

Comment

Turns out that the action in the class became so immediate because they found out the kids parent had tested positive but come in and brought their kid in anyway. With no confirmed class case they're closed tomorrow for a deep clean and if no-one presents symptoms etc class will resume on Monday.

Comment

Working...
                                X