No announcement yet.

The "Other" 3D Fighters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kung Fu Chaos is so underrated and overlooked . A bloody classic and such fun in 4 player mode. Also found Tao Feng Fist of the Lotus good for a laugh with its damage limb system

Comment

Anyone play VS on PS1? By 'Polygon Magic'???

It was like a JP game trying to masquerade as an American sorta generic 'em up.

VERY weird. I remember it having very smooth graphics but it always felt like I was playing 25% of a game.

VERY strange title. But we got it in PAL.

Comment

There's several I recall but they were all rubbish which sounds dismissive but realistically most of the bigger brand entries were poor as well. Whilst VF and Tekken took the top spot pretty much everything else was weak.

Probably the earliest I have any nostalgic thoughts of would be the original Battle Arena Toshinden, the sequels to that lost that certain sort of charm the first game had. Bloody Roar is similar in that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          Kung Fu Chaos is so underrated and overlooked . A bloody classic and such fun in 4 player mode. Also found Tao Feng Fist of the Lotus good for a laugh with its damage limb system
          Kung Fu Chaos was fantastic (though the faux-Chinese "Kung Fu Director" accent in the replays has dated a bit!); really underrated fighter in the Power Stone vein.

However, while I thought Tao Feng had a lot of good ideas, I strongly disliked it, for the same reason I don't rate Mortal Kombat as a proper fighter; I find the movement too disjointed, and the game doesn't seem to "flow" right. I'm not saying that's how others should see it, I mean MK fighters have been to Evo, but I just can't get along with them.
          [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] shame, as Zero Divide was PS-only here in the UK. I might've played it, were it for the Saturn.

Also anyone here played Fighter's Destiny on N64? Now that's a weird game. Was essentially "how many non-standard ideas can we pack into a versus fighter before it breaks".

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
            Fist - Saturn and PlayStation
            I'm going to put my neck on the line and suggest that Fist isn't a tier-2 fighter, perhaps tier-22!

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post

VERY weird. I remember it having very smooth graphics but it always felt like I was playing 25% of a game.

There's some weird story about Vs., about how the main female character was proudly based on the director's daughter - and the character wears a crop-top with no bra, with immense underboob.

Comment

I love the first Rival Schools, but the second on the PSX, I saw people liked the two extra characters but I never did. They looked decent but weren't much fun. I was quite disappointed. The Dreamcast game is the real sequel and is fun, but doesn't have the dark vibe of the first game. I also expected more characters with the jump to a new hardware gen. Tech Romancer was fun but I didn't play it nearly enough. There's obviously more games but I'm blank right now.

Comment

Forgot about ZERO DIVIDE on PS1. I had it on PAL yonks back, it's actually pretty epic and brill. I think I bought it more for the mini version of PHALANX included with it and really didn't like the game at first but once you get used to the jerky framerate and robotic combatants it becomes quite wonderful.

I would say it's a clunky, metallic VF clone but has the benefit of a *stunning*, futuristic atmosphere with some gorgeous backdrops and cool robo resigns, plus the moody music is off the scale.

Got the PAL sequel, too, but never played it much. It's the Blockbuster rental version in them lovely durable plaggy cases. They upped it to 60fps this time, which makes it more fun to play but also has the deficit of less intricate backgrounds. I reckon it's still good, tho, but I ain't played it long term.

Comment

Yep, I own that one. Got a few odd 3D fighters on the PlayStation that I can't even remember the names of. They're so forgettable. Need to take a look at them some day.

Comment

The Saturn Zero Divide game is actually the best one beleive it or not. 480i resolution, 3D Arenas and 60fps with excelent gameplay.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                        I'm going to put my neck on the line and suggest that Fist isn't a tier-2 fighter, perhaps tier-22!
                        Or just a pile of dung

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                          The Saturn Zero Divide game is actually the best one beleive it or not. 480i resolution, 3D Arenas and 60fps with excelent gameplay.
                          Yeah, I've heard of that, pity it never came out in PAL. Has it got simplified backgrounds or is it pretty much the same?

Such a brill atmos in that game. Think it flopped over here, sadly, despite nice cover art and decent promotion.

Comment

Yeah, I've heard of that, pity it never came out in PAL. Has it got simplified backgrounds or is it pretty much the same?

Such a brill atmos in that game. Think it flopped over here, sadly, despite nice cover art and decent promotion.
                            Check it out my good man.

Comment

Cheers mate will watch in a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                                Kung Fu Chaos was fantastic (though the faux-Chinese "Kung Fu Director" accent in the replays has dated a bit!); really underrated fighter in the Power Stone vein..
                                I found the game better than both of the Power Stone games to be honest. The water whirl stage is awesome fun in drunken 4 player mode LOL
                                I really liked Tao Feng in a B-Movie kind of way and really loved the damage limb system, for those who used the block too much

Comment

Working...
                                X