The "Other" 3D Fighters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
    The Saturn Zero Divide game is actually the best one beleive it or not. 480i resolution, 3D Arenas and 60fps with excelent gameplay.
    Its so much better. But like with any Saturn version that's better, you never heard about it. One couldn't upset the PS generation back in the day

Comment

It was always nice to see smooth 3D games on Saturn in PAL, there weren't too many. Even with 50hz conversions, you'd still get smooth if the game was 60fps to begin with. A smooth 3D Saturn game is always a joy to behold!!

Comment

Wow, that Saturn Zero Divide looks fantastic. Way better, visually, than Fighting Vipers, which I've always thought a bit of a mess against VF's cleaner aesthetic and Last Bronx's cool character design and well-realised Tokyo backdrops. I would definitely have bought that had it came out in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          Its so much better. But like with any Saturn version that's better, you never heard about it. One couldn't upset the PS generation back in the day
          Absolutely. Even now it would seem by some of the dick heads who leave comments on my videos.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            Wow, that Saturn Zero Divide looks fantastic. Way better, visually, than Fighting Vipers, which I've always thought a bit of a mess against VF's cleaner aesthetic and Last Bronx's cool character design and well-realised Tokyo backdrops. I would definitely have bought that had it came out in the UK.
            Zero Divide looks ace and these so do these overlooked Saturn 3D fighters

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
              Absolutely. Even now it would seem by some of the dick heads who leave comments on my videos.
              Yep, even to this day. I'm sure that's why Maximum the gaming mag only lasted 6 issues. The Sony Defence Force just couldn't take a multiform mag, prasing both the Saturn and PS in equal messure

Comment

I enjoyed Tobal, a bloke I used to work with constantly raved about it.

I'm sure there was a polygon fighter on the Amiga with enormous characters, based on Greek god's perhaps. Anyway it had lots of fanfare but was pap.

Comment

I'm a Saturn nerd admittedly, but I love the PS1. However, there's no escaping the fact that no PS1 fighter looks anywhere near as good as Virtua Fighter 2 (and the other few that used that engine running in hi-res mode). Even the maker of Dead or Alive (which was VF2 based) agreed the Saturn port was the definitive version, despite being widely considered a PS1 game above all else.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                    However, there's no escaping the fact that no PS1 fighter looks anywhere near as good as Virtua Fighter 2
                    Hmmm... Got to disagree, there. Personally I think Tekken 3 is the definitive looker of the generation, just because it was part of the wave of games which came after developers cracked skinning and rigging. The VF characters look a bit like ball-jointed dolls:

Tekken 3's characters are fully skinned and rigged, meaning that they don't have those weird overlaps at their joints.

Admittedly this wasn't an issue when VF was released, because at the time, this was the norm - practically every game was like that. And VF2 still has an appearance that is extremely clean, fast-flowing and responsive, thanks to the high FPS and high resolution, along with the general nature of the game (VF is so much more responsive than Tekken for so many reasons).

I also always felt that VF had presentation issues that the games never quite fully resolved. This isn't all visual, per se, but things like the character win animations and speech effects were absolutely laughable ("Better go home to momma, now!"). Also, it didn't do cool camera angles during things like throws (which I think Tekken started doing in 2). The backgrounds, too, were colourful, but I always found them a bit, well, naff? Though that's absolutely subjective, so no point in arguing over that one.

That being said, Virtua Fighter 2 is potentially the generation's supreme technical masterpiece, maybe along with Vagrant Story or Metal Gear Solid in terms of how they pushed real-time 3D visuals to new technical heights.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      Hmmm... Got to disagree, there. Personally I think Tekken 3 is the definitive looker of the generation, just because it was part of the wave of games which came after developers cracked skinning and rigging..
                      I thought Last Brox looked better .Higher res, more scaling backgrounds and even motion blur

Comment

Those scan lines are dross.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                          Those scan lines are dross.
                          To be fair, YouTube always makes scanlines appear worse IMO.

Comment

Just remembered PSYCHIC FORCE. I think we got PS1 and DC versions in PAL, iirc?

One of those crazy, Dragonbally fighters with mad, airborne fighting and lots of lasery effects.

Could never get into them but I remember thinking they seemed like good quality games, they were from Taito, I think?

Comment

Played a lot of Fighters Destiny on the N64, that wasn't half bad imo.
                              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                                Zero Divide looks ace and these so do these overlooked Saturn 3D fighters

Yep, own both of those.

Comment

Working...
                                X