The "Other" 3D Fighters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "Other" 3D Fighters

Recently, [MENTION=16665]Blobcat[/MENTION] and I finally booted up a game I bought a long time ago but had never gotten around to playing - Tobal No.1.

It was interesting, though not great... That being said, I think if I'd played it at the time, the 3D movement in it would've been quite novel.

Still, it made me think about how, in the 90s, we had a range of tier-2 3D fighting games. I guess I'm talking about everything that wasn't related to Virtua Fighter, Fighting Vipers, Tekken or Soul Edge. Maybe not Street Fighter EX either, just due to the strength of its brand.

I missed out on a lot of these games because I had a Saturn from its first Christmas with Virtua Fighter, which I later replaced with Virtua Fighter 2. As this was maybe the best fighter of the generation (something we could debate, but I think most will at least agree that isn't an unreasonable stance), I guess I was fine, but I remember really wanting to play some of the others, such as Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi, Star Gladiator and Zero Divide.

Looking back at them now, after acquiring some of them years later, I think the only one I still routinely play is Bloody Roar, because I feel that was pretty much perfect out-the-gate and didn't really improve as it went along.

What "other" 3D fighters do people remember? Is anyone here still carrying a torch for Kensei: Sacred Fist? For Fighter's Destiny?

... Mace: The Dark Age?

The only one off the top of my head that i was reminded of the other day was rival schools, as i mentioned back in that thread i rarely buy fighters of any kind but back in the day that one drew me in as it wasn't just a standard fighter it had a lot of quirky modes and minigame stuff so it kept me occupied for a long time. The intro is still kick ass as ever.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
      The only one off the top of my head that i was reminded of the other day was rival schools, as i mentioned back in that thread i rarely buy fighters of any kind but back in the day that one drew me in as it wasn't just a standard fighter it had a lot of quirky modes and minigame stuff so it kept me occupied for a long time. The intro is still kick ass as ever.
      Rival Schools is a curious one, for me, because of how Capcom had Arika make Street Fighter EX, then while that was all going on, went off and straight-up made their own, better 3D Street Fighter game in the form of Rival Schools.

I don't actually hate EX as much as many SF fans do; I thought they were really fun fighters, just not particularly good interpretations of Street Fighter, but Rival Schools was always superior.

Comment

While on my PS1 collection buyathon i have been tempted to get hold of the first one again as it's been so long since i played it, then i spoted theres actually second game i never knew about wondering if the 2nd game is better than the first one?

Damn ebay and that new copy of rival schools 1 costing £130 thats a little too rich for my blood. Gonna have to see if i can scout out a mint used one, oh to have a time machine.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
          While on my PS1 collection buyathon i have been tempted to get hold of the first one again as it's been so long since i played it, then i spoted theres actually second game i never knew about wondering if the 2nd game is better than the first one?

Damn ebay and that new copy of rival schools 1 costing £130 thats a little too rich for my blood. Gonna have to see if i can scout out a mint used one, oh to have a time machine.
          I believe the UK version came with both. It had 2 discs with different games on, just they were very similar (in typical Capcom fashion). I think the Dreamcast version has an expanded Japanese version of Project Justice, but the only real addition is a kind of board-game/visual novel-style mode which is incomprehensible without a reasonable grasp of Japanese. However it's been a few years so I may have the two confused.

Comment

Big fan of Rival Schools love the characters, music, had the pal OG then got the "sequel" which just adds a few characters tbh. Great either way. Strangely never tried Project Justice, need to get that.

Comment

My fave character is the teacher Hideo, used to use him most of the time usually paired up with Kyoko.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                Big fan of Rival Schools love the characters, music, had the pal OG then got the "sequel" which just adds a few characters tbh. Great either way. Strangely never tried Project Justice, need to get that.
                Edit, just seen the comments re: rival schools above - so the pal games comes with 2 discs, one is the arcade and the other an enhanced EVO version of the game. The jap Rival Schools 2 adds 2 new characters ( cool ones I may ad ), and an RPG game involving one of the new characters, tho on my modded PSOne that game mode wouldnt start and threw up an error related to the mod chip 0_o. It was in Japanese anyway.

Comment

Tech Romancer on the Dreamcast is massively underrated, possibly due to awful PAL boxart and a slightly stupid name. It's an extremely charming giant robot fighter with tons of content.

Comment

I was thinking about Kensei only the other day. Loved it! Seagal guy was tremendous fun to play as.

Weirdly vanished without a trace, nobody ever talks about it much at all and there was me at the time hoping it would become a franchise!

Comment

How this thread has had this number of posts without Power Stone being mentioned is beyond me.

Comment

I like Tobal No 1. It was great to have a real 3D space you could move around in, and the quest mode was an interesting extra and a novelty at the time, even if was poorly controlled.

Such a pity that you can't play as huge Nork in it - just a tiny version.

Comment

Bio FREAKS. N64....
                          https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bio_F.R.E.A.K.S.

Played it a lot. It was rubbish

Comment

I played the ever loving **** out of Star Gladiator on PSX. I really need to pick that up again.

Comment

I'm very sad by the lack of knowledge

The Saturn and PlayStation has a lot of 3D fighters unrelated to Capcom, Namco or Sega.

Anarchy in the Nippon - Saturn
                              Fist - Saturn and PlayStation
                              Ranma - PlayStation
                              ZERO DIVIDE - Saturn and PlayStation
                              And many more.

Come on guys, unvail the strange stuff we don't know about.

Comment

Working...
                              X