Critics Club III: The Greatest Film of 1993

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critics Club III: The Greatest Film of 1993

It's Friday, it's quiet out but it is also the yearly finale for...

Which of the above shortlisted films is the very best of 1993?
    Multi-voting is open
    Groundhog Day
    0%
    Carlito's Way
    0%
    Cool Runnings
    0%
    The Fugitive
    0%
    Alive
    0%
    Jurassic Park
    0%
    Schindler's List
    0%
    The Nightmare Before Christmas
    0%
    The Piano
    0%
    Wayne's World 2
    0%

I'd say the one I'd call a proper 'classic' is GROUNDHOG DAY. I thought it was like a 6.5/10 when I first saw it at the flicks but it improves with each viewing for me and I really appreciate it, now.

Runner-up is CARLITO'S WAY. I loved it at the flicks and remember Sean Penn's 'fro but I don't know how bad it's dated.

Anyhoo, I'm pretty sure it'll still be a fun watch. I have the sequel on DVD but I'll have to dig out the first one and have a Carlito night drinking tequila, wearing tan leather jackets n' huge shades.

Cabron!!!

Comment

I saw SCHINDLER'S at the flicks but unfortunately kept having fits of inappropriate laughter...not because I'm racist or antisemitic or owt, more because I got this sense the movie felt it was SO important that it couldn't be criticised. It was so 'holy'...that I started tittering during a scene where an old guy gets shot...purely because I really wasn't supposed to...

...and the scene is just set up to milk the maximum pathos out of it. And it...it made me feel a bit sickly, it was so ridiculously OTT and laboured and Oscar-chasing I just found it absurd...hence the inappropriate laughter began during every 'tear-jerking' scene from that moment onward.

People were tutting as I laughed and the more they tutted, the more they tickled my funny bone. I'm very strange, I think I'm a bit Aspie, I just get these 'silly moods', as our kid used to say.

Nowt makes a laugh more funny than when you're not supposed to laugh, I find.

Comment

Groundhog Day is number one for me too, with Carlito's second and Schindler's third.

Groundhog Day is a shared favourite I had with a close friend who is no longer with us. Not only did we have a love of the film in common but we watched it at least once a year (independently) and always referenced it and quoted it. If I could bottle how one film makes me feel it would be Groundhog Day.

Carlito's Way I watched again recently and got completely swept up in it. Proper romantic (love the bit on the rooftop where he's watching his old flame), old fashioned yarn ... and my favourite Al Pacino performance.

Schindler's List is technically one of the finest films ever made. But I watch films for pleasure and it's hard, essential as at least one viewing is, to place it above over films here.

Comment

If GD wins, do we get to run the poll again?
          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Yeah but we can now go back and assassinate Weinstein and prevent KILL BILL being released.

Comment

The Piano for me by a wide margin. Keitel in his 2nd best performance, he is f**king amazing. Absolutely robbed blind by the academy (again).

I do like Schindler & Groundhog day but the rest are really meh.

Comment

Working...
              X