No announcement yet.

Doom Eternal - PS4 / Xbox One / PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The low ammo at start really did take me back but the chain saw refills for one charge so you can always get ammo back and thankfully after getting ammo upgrades and more weapons it became less of a issue.

It feels like Doom dialled up to 11, they really throw stuff at you but I much prefer the combat here, having the enemies getting battle damage just made the combat so much more satisfying

The platforming bits i actually found quite fun , also unlike the previous game i also felt more compelled to find secrets.

The Marauder though is not a good idea.......may not be hard after a while but still takes more time then most over enemies and for me just slowed everything down

Comment

A word of praise for the map. Usually 3D zoomable/rotatable maps are a total nightmare to negotiate, e.g. see the recent mess of the Star Wars Fallen Order map which only adds to the confusion, but this works perfectly. Legible and super-quick. Hugely impressed with the polish across all aspects of this.

Comment

Had some more time on this last night and did the Cultist Base level, which ramps up the intensity quite a bit. Mark of a great game though, even when a bit kicks you over and over it's always fun to keep trying until you've done it.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          Had some more time on this last night and did the Cultist Base level, which ramps up the intensity quite a bit. Mark of a great game though, even when a bit kicks you over and over it's always fun to keep trying until you've done it.
          Yeah it’s hard - i am on the normal difficulty and that cultist base bit in the 2nd arena is stomping me badly. FPS Noobs need not apply!

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            This is true. That level rocked me back on my heels too, but it kept pulling me back in until I got through it. Awesome stuff.

Comment

Gave multiplayer another go last night.

Forma/Rules: 1 doomguy vs 2 boss demons who can summon other demons. Round over when boss demons kill doomguy or doomguy kills boss demons. If one boss demon goes down doomguy has 20 seconds to off the other one before the first one respawns.

Anyhoot (to quote Blathers), after reflection and with the best will in the world, I've changed my mind and have to say I think it's a pile of steaming. The demon strategizing element is well-meaning but completely ruined by the intense speed and close quarters combat of the cramped maps. What's the point of thinking of where it's most advantageous to spawn your demon minions when they can traverse one end of the map to the other in 5 seconds flat? The maps themselves are an uninteresting confection of ramps and levels. I wonder if the problem is their size: slightly larger ones might work much better. It also runs like a maimed pig, buggy and laggy, which is unusual given the polish in the main campaign. Anyway, the blend of strategy with frenetic shooter feels like a mismatch and doesn't work for me.

Comment

Played another level last night. Everything works so well. The blend of action, platforming, lore and exploration keep everything moving along without ever getting samey. The many upgrades and build options are delivered at just the right pace too ... keeping you feeling just that bit tougher as they throw bigger and badder things at you. Speaking of which the Doom Hunters and Pinkies made an appearance last night. I love how they let you learn by fighting one and then chuck a bunch at you

There are still moments that remind me of the original Doom games too and I love that.

As has been said it's all super polished. Great game.

Comment

The only complaints i had with Doom 2016 were, lack of variety in levels (still think more could have been done, even with something as limiting as mars like perhaps a level set with like a forest to provide oxygen for the people) Doom Eternal has fixed that and the other complaint with 2016 is you got the last weapon to find pretty early with still more levels to go so hoping in Eternal its spread out more

Comment

Still enjoying this loads, but it's so intense my mind needs cool down time after playing, like an over-heating minigun.

Comment

Just got this and had a half hour blast. Its great fun. My only complaint is that it chucks you in at the deep end and I don't really have a sense of where I am or why I'm doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                        Just got this and had a half hour blast. Its great fun. My only complaint is that it chucks you in at the deep end and I don't really have a sense of where I am or why I'm doing it.
                        You could have fit the story of the others on a postage stamp, so I wouldn’t worry too much. It you think it’s deep end now, wait to you get to the cultist base or meet your first marauder!

Comment

Good tips guide

(Contains spoilers)

You want Doom Eternal tips and tricks? We got Doom Eternal tips and tricks. From how to stretch health and ammo a little further, to beating the Marauder wit...

Comment

It's just an endless string of deaths for me. I'm not enjoying it much now.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                              It's just an endless string of deaths for me. I'm not enjoying it much now.
                              It’s not all about the shooting - make sure you are constantly using the chainsaw to get ammo, flame belch for armour and glory kills for health, were possible. Best weapon at the start and for most of the game, is the sticky grenade launcher attachment on the single shot gun. I have come across some pretty brutal sections that have taken me 5/6 time to do. Also there are some pretty hairy platforming section that Mario would run a mile from.

Comment

Turns out I'd selected Ultra Violence difficulty! I've notched it down one and started again.

Comment

Working...
                                X