No announcement yet.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theres a machine in the abel sisters store that has some design thingy too you can search by a designs creation number or by a creator id so im assuming once you have created something it could be shared by that as it connects online when you use it. Not tried it out myself thats way down the list of stuff to get through hehe

Comment

This was the interview in case anyone feels like a read.

Nintendo explains philosophy behind Animal Crossing’s big changes, such as gender expression and terraforming

The Washington Post spoke to the game’s director, Aya Kyogoku, and producer, Hisashi Nogami, to better understand the motivations behind these significant changes. Along the way, the conversation also touched on their thoughts about eliminating gender restrictions for character customization and how their team in Japan is bracing for possible coronavirus-related hurdles in post-launch development.

New Horizons’s deserted island concept can be traced back to right after the Japanese release of Animal Crossing: New Leaf in 2012. Early development began shortly after, even before the team hunkered down to produce New Leaf Welcome Amiibo, the upgraded version from 2016. Kyogoku said the development cycle for New Horizons kick-started before the team even began “thinking or knowing about Nintendo Switch hardware.”

Adding crafting was also a way to keep players from running out of things to do during off hours when shops close, an issue in previous Animal Crossing games.
      “Because the Animal Crossing series is tied to the real-time clock, there are users who want to play late at night or who want to play early in the morning,” Kyogoku said. “By giving those users an option to craft, we thought this would be a new way for them to play and to acquire [craftable] items.”

Terraforming was also a way to address unanticipated player behavior from past games. Kyogoku said that, looking at earlier entries in the series, users would repeatedly reset and start over to choose the town layout they wanted. In New Horizons, your island is completely malleable, even after that decision, bringing more flexibility to the gameplay.
      “Some may have thought that, ‘Oh, this would have been a perfect layout if there was a river here or if the river wasn’t there,’ ” Kyogoku said. “Well, for users like that, we were able to give them what they weren’t able to achieve before.”

New Horizons’s flexible nature extends to character customization, too. Clothing items and hairstyles aren’t restricted by gender, giving players more options on how to represent themselves in the game. This level of fine-tuning your character is “not just about gender,” Kyogoku said, but relates to the team’s overall feeling that “society is shifting to valuing a lot of people’s different identities.”
      “We basically wanted to create a game where users didn’t really have to think about gender or if they wanted to think about gender, they’re also able to,” she said.

In another shift, the developers sought to make time traveling (the controversial act of jumping into the past or future by tweaking the system clock, which some fans think is the wrong way to play) less impactful in terms of in-game features. Time traveling has been used as a shortcut in previous Animal Crossing games, so you don’t have to wait overnight to see progress.

As Animal Crossing is a game that can be played for a number of years, its designers are keeping the long term in mind. Kyogoku and Nogami’s plan for New Horizons includes seasonal events slated to appear in the game via DLC. Players won’t be able to simply fast-forward through time to experience them.
      “Adding all the seasonal events by updates wasn’t our way to shun away time travel by any means,” Kyogoku said. “But Animal Crossing is a game that users are able to play and enjoy throughout the year.”

Kyogoku and Nogami, who both work out of Nintendo’s office in Japan, are paying close attention to the global pandemic’s potential impact on post-launch content. Development for these updates “is still going,” Kyogoku said, but the team may need to adjust internally moving forward should the coronavirus crisis worsen.
      “We’re not sure if we have to shift anything, but I think we have to be flexible,” she said.
      At this time, the Japanese development team is working in the office every day, but the team’s hours have changed so employees can avoid rush-hour train traffic.
      “In terms of the development team, I do have to think about their health and well-being as well,” Nogami said.

Full story at link:

Comment

And now finally maxed my house & debt free, screw you Nook lol. You do get something nice though for totally paying everything off, took a lot of work but finally the game properly starts.

Comment

Don't put boots/etc that stick out from the wall on either side of the door to a room, they'll stop you walking the way you want to.

Comment

I'm only playing this during my half hour work lunch and it's making progress incredibly slow. After about 20 mins I've done everything available and still the rest of the island is blocked off to me

Comment

Tiny thing but I find it harder to see past trees in this one. Not sure why - I haven’t loaded up an earlier one to compare. I think maybe earlier ones had the trees pop away when close or something. Not sure.

Comment

I know many time-travelers already have a full metropolis on their island, but today I say goodbye to my lovely tent and have to move 'up' in the world.

Comment

Yeah, I felt that. And am I the only one who wished the museum started a lot smaller? I like the baby steps. I mean, I won't judge you time travelling monsters but I like that slow progression and little bit at a time gameplay.

Comment

Time travel seems to be a sore point on twitter, I’m staying WELL away from that discussion on there.
                    Seems we gotta lotta clout seekers, meme makers and streamers all killing each other to accumulate the most using time travel or the replication glitch (patched out today) I can’t wait until they can’t stand playing the game any longer than 15 mins because there’s literally nothing to do except play it on event days, first event is coming up April 1-12th Easter/Bunny Day.

I finally paid off my first loan, so house expansion and island services due for an upgrade tomorrow.
                    I’m still going round and buying all the fashion I can get my hands on, leaving me poor every day.

Comment

I'm glad the duplication glitch was patched out as that caused some pretty horrible glitches that you cant remove if they happen. Don't want the chance of people trying that stuff in my town and leaving me with an item glitched into the floor that i can't get rid of. Does anyone know of a way to check what fossils they are missing as the only method i can see is going into the museum and seeing what parts of the skeletons are missing on the stands, as my museum is getting fuller it's hard to tell what is missing now as you cant zoom in really close on the exhibits. I think i'm only 2 or 3 missing from what i can see. I'll start saving the ones Blathers doesn't accept as i'm planning on having a fenced aread like the dump in previous games where i can dump unwanted items for visitors to take home with them. There's usually about 6 fossil spawns in your island in a day so i have a lot of spares but i have been selling them at the moment but now house is paid off i can help others fill in their museum gaps as it's really worth getting that museum complete as it looks amazing inside i find myself hanging out in there a lot as it's just so pretty i really wish we could look up and close at the exhibits i have been using photo mode to zoom in a but more but it's not ideal.
                      Last edited by importaku; 26-03-2020, 15:47.

Comment

Slowly turning my island into a tropical Tiki getaway, finally designed a flag. If anyone has the easter island head in their shop i'll pay bells for one. It hasn't appeared in my game yet but i remain hopeful, i did get a lawn flamingo via the post though from a kind person that was actually something i wanted to find.

Speaking of which, when is Mr Thang going to create some amazing pixel art for this game? i can only imagine the flags and textures he'll be able to create.

Comment

I will get on it!

Is there a trick to using amiibo in Harv’s place? None of mine are doing anything. What am I doing wrong? Was wondering if my controller was broken but tried another and still no results. What do I do? Is there a button I’m supposed to press that I’ve missed?

Edit: turned out to be my Switch. Or controller. Or both. I restarted the Switch and it still doesn’t work with one controller but does with the other. Pox anyway. More controller issues. Anyway, at least I can use the amiibo now.
                          Last edited by Dogg Thang; 26-03-2020, 22:04.

Comment

Well i found out something new by mistake, the glowing spots that you find every day that you can dig a bag of bells up and then plant a bag of bells back in to get a money tree, i accidentally planted a bag of 99,000 bells by mistake and i thought i had lost it all as i read online that the max it gives out is 10,000 bells. Apparently not as i went back to see what had grown and i was stoked to find 3 bags of 99,000 each. So anyone wanting to make some nice money try and save up to 99,000 for when you find a glowing spot.

Edit, how strange i tried again and went back to a tree i planted 99,000 and only got 10,000 bags. I wonder what i did different? I have just looked it up online it seems others have had the same thing and it appears to be random, maybe not worth risking then lol especially if you are starting out and bells count.
                            Last edited by importaku; 26-03-2020, 23:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              Tiny thing but I find it harder to see past trees in this one. Not sure why - I haven’t loaded up an earlier one to compare. I think maybe earlier ones had the trees pop away when close or something. Not sure.
                              The cedar trees are taller, and so is the fully grown bamboo. It's not you!

Comment

Wishlist right now: floor light (any colour but purple, I have that)

I like how you can specify the colour you want when ordering from the catalogue.

Comment

Working...
                                X