CoronaView: Mr Brightside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CoronaView: Mr Brightside

Counter to many of the discussions that will be taking place during the current pandemic, here's another line of virus discussion to keep all the self-isolated people going through the week:

What are the little upsides of the current viral outbreak?

I went into Marks and Spencer with the missus and we got a load of fresh food for about 20% of the usual price, because nobody was in town to buy it.

I can have any space I like in the car park and the drive to work is deserted even at rush hour.

Didn't have to wait at the bar on Friday night to get a pint (before the pub shut a few hours later).

Comment

With everyone at home bored, my sales have shot through the roof, busiest last few weeks in company history.

So I'm making hay while the sun is still shining.

Comment

The commute thing is true - Our 1hr 15m to 1hr 30 min home time commute is dropping closer and closer to 35 minutes

Another perk - If you do need to go out, for once, you don't have that thing where as you're walking someone walks far too close behind you

Comment

Are you selling sex toys, Fishbowlhead? One particular company is really taking advantage of this and emailing me every day. Not that I've ever bought from them... no idea how they got my email address...

Anyway, bright sides? Well one thing that has happened here in spite of reduced contact is a sense of community spirit. I think it comes from knowing that, yeah, this inconveniences a lot of people who could probably easily fight this off but everyone is taking these measures because any one of our neighbours could be at risk or be connected very closely with someone at risk. I went for a run this morning and everyone kept a nice safe distance but, more than ever, everyone greeted me and smiled and it was a message of: yeah, I know we're all staying away from each other but I get it and it's okay.

Some local shops are really doing great work with dedicated times for elderly people and, outside of those times, very carefully managing how many people come into the shop, at what distance, giving people gloves and sanitiser and rubbing down trolleys just before use and helping where they can while also seemingly doing the same for the staff in order to keep everyone safe and reduce the risk of it spreading.

And neighbours are helping neighbours all over. My wife's parents are in a very high-risk category and so are pretty much confined now but all their neighbours are making sure they have everything they need and are bringing them shopping and checking in on them very regularly.

It's a pain in the backside in so many ways but I must say my locality and those around us are really showing a positive sense of community, calm action and helping all those who need it. It's actually really good.

Comment

Everyone at work, despite being worried about everything, have opened up more and we feel we are more of a family than ever.

Have gone from quietly nodding to acknowledge a local’s presence to talking to a few of the locals.

[MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION]’s experimental cooking and great results with the bare bone ingredients we can get.

Comment

No one driving. Petrol will drop to 30p/litre! (it won't)

Comment

Petrol was 68.9 c/litre here today. I cursed myself for having got half a tank for 84.9 about 10 days ago.
                Not that we're really going anywhere. We would got to Banff but the mountain towns are asking people not to visit.

Comment

No-one can impromtu visit our house unexpectedly

Comment

None of the jehovas witnesses are getting in if the rapture happens this year. They all behind on quotas.

I'm probably mixing up religion here..

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                      No-one can impromtu visit our house unexpectedly
                      I think it’s a good thing think friends or family dropping in unannounced. The spontaneity is better than an exchange of text messages beforehand.

Comment

They lifted the ban on off licences trading, so I started doing home deliveries today. £750 of beer delivered in the first hour and a half, seems people were thirsty.

Comment

Heating oil and petrol prices,

Got heating oil was nearly half price on what it was a few weeks ago

If i get quarantined here and cannot go to work (which seems Unlikely as i work in a petrol station )I would get as much money on welfare as i am getting now at my job

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                            They lifted the ban on off licences trading, so I started doing home deliveries today. £750 of beer delivered in the first hour and a half, seems people were thirsty.
                            The breweries here are doing that, or switching production to hand santiser.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                              Scotts? Buying alcohol in large amounts? Im shocked, shocked!

Well not that shocked 😉

Comment

Working...
                              X