• Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 126: Wave Race

History in Games:
    1992 - Wave Race
    1996 - Wave Race 64
    2001 - Wave Race: Blue Storm

Overview:
    The same basic concept but executed in different styles three times, the Wave Race series sees players racing against one another whilst making use of various routes and tricks. With each entry the involvement in water and weather effects played a greater role and the stylistic nature of the games became more and more pronounced. The series came to a rest after the Gamecube entry.

What are your memories of Wave Race along with your favourite entry?
    Wave Race
    0%
    Wave Race 64
    0%
    Wave Race: Blue Storm
    0%
    Not a Fan of Any
    0%

Wave Race 64 is my favourite entry. It's a masterpiece. I counted down the days to its release and grabbed it immediately, albeit PAL.

Blue Storm was, for me, one of the biggest disappointments I've ever bought. It was the game I bought with my first Game Cube. The sequel to the best game on the previous gen's Nintendo console - what could go wrong. I couldn't get to grips with the controls, and found the graphics and sound very bland. Traded it in soon after.

Only had a quick go on the Gsme Boy one. It was OK for the hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
      Blue Storm was, for me, one of the biggest disappointments I've ever bought. It was the game I bought with my first Game Cube. The sequel to the best game on the previous gen's Nintendo console - what could go wrong. I couldn't get to grips with the controls, and found the graphics and sound very bland. Traded it in soon after.
      It, and 1080 Avalanche, are similarly among my most disappointing sequels. I strongly disliked both of them, and their forbears are among my favourite games.

Comment

It was a very different beast, one that felt more like a straight racer but I quite liked Blue Storm even if I wouldn't consider it a great game.

Comment

I actually really enjoyed Blue Storm - I had never owned 64 as I didn't have an N64, although I did really like the Gameboy game. I can definitely see now why people felt it was a disappointment versus 64 though. It's not an all-time great, although it's one I'd be very curious to revisit.

Waverace is one of the series I'd really love to see come back. We don't really get games like this any more, on the whole. The whole extreme sports scene in videogames is a bit dead. If it did return, what I think would be quite crucial is to build a very strong online multiplayer aspect, with a robust range of modes. It would need to tap into the same type of appeal as something like Rocket League.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
            Waverace is one of the series I'd really love to see come back. We don't really get games like this any more, on the whole. The whole extreme sports scene in videogames is a bit dead. If it did return, what I think would be quite crucial is to build a very strong online multiplayer aspect, with a robust range of modes. It would need to tap into the same type of appeal as something like Rocket League.
            We don't generally get games with unusual vehicles like this, outside of indies. That's because games like The Crew feature water vehicles, and while they might not be as good as a dedicated game like WaveRace, that's good enough for most people it seems.

Comment

Yeah, it’s a good point. It’s been pointed out before, but in Pilotwings on the SNES, skydiving was an activity in and of itself. Now it’s just the way you access the level for stuff like Fortnite.

Comment

WR64 was awesome. There was *something* about the controls that was spot on. It was a struggle to keep it in-line in choppy water and a breeze in flat inland water. Once you got the hang of how it would respond to different waves at different angles, you could go way faster. It was a revelation.

Much like 1080(64) really.

Bluestorm would only really be a disappointment if you had played the N64 version first. It was a robust well made game, but without any of the flair.

I actually really like 1080 Avalanche. Played it to death. It's not nearly as good as the original, but there's a lot going on. The handling model lets it down.

Not tried the GB version. Should I?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  We don't really get games like this any more, on the whole. The whole extreme sports scene in videogames is a bit dead. If it did return, what I think would be quite crucial is to build a very strong online multiplayer aspect, with a robust range of modes. It would need to tap into the same type of appeal as something like Rocket League.
                  Skate 1 was huge online. I wish they had released that on the current gen - I believe that everyone would be playing it constantly. Stoked was really fun online, but the player count dropped off too fast.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                    WR64 was awesome. There was *something* about the controls that was spot on. It was a struggle to keep it in-line in choppy water and a breeze in flat inland water. Once you got the hang of how it would respond to different waves at different angles, you could go way faster. It was a revelation.

Much like 1080(64) really.

Bluestorm would only really be a disappointment if you had played the N64 version first. It was a robust well made game, but without any of the flair.

I actually really like 1080 Avalanche. Played it to death. It's not nearly as good as the original, but there's a lot going on. The handling model lets it down.

Not tried the GB version. Should I?
                    The Gameboy version is a well made game, but very, very simple. I’m not sure if it would hold your attention. Worth a try on an emulator for curiosity’s sake.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                      It was a very different beast, one that felt more like a straight racer but I quite liked Blue Storm even if I wouldn't consider it a great game.
                      Aesthetically, it may have been considerably different to 64, but gameplay-wise, it really wasn't.

The controls and commands for stunts were pretty much the same, even allowing for the obvious differences between the N64 and GC controllers.

If you were playing 64 regularly (which I personally was at the time) then picking up Blue Storm was basically immediate.

Blue Storm isn't as memorable as 64 but it is nowhere near as bad as many try to make it out to be.

Comment

I uploaded the old Wave race blue storm review

Comment

Yeah Wave Race 64 (didn't even realise there was a GameBoy version, yet I recognise the cover - facepalm). Like Charles said, the controls were just spot on. You could almost feel each wave. The colour pallete was really Nintendo candy nice. The sound equally was awesome with its gentle course overview music into the pacey catchy synth cheese. Absolutely love the lady's voice who announces each course.

Comment

Been on blue storm today find it a mix of the frustrating and sometimes excellent, but let down in a fair few ways.

It annoys me a great deal you cant restart a race from te pause menu, it's the little things.

Comment

N64 for me. Even today very few games have captured the weight and flow of moving water better . Have such happy memories of my and my brother, playing this game every morning after we come in from the nightshifts on the Big TV downstarirs, before Mum got up LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X