Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories (PS4/Switch/PC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories (PS4/Switch/PC)

After absolutely years, this game has managed to get all the way from development hell and close to the finish line for a Western release - there's a demo out for the PS4! Finally, we can have a thread on this outside of the import gaming section.

To say this was a long time coming is an understatement, it's almost Duke Nukem Forever levels of dither. It was originally going to be released for the PS3 in 2011, cancelled due to an actual big earthquake in Japan, acquired from Irem by the chief producer in 2014, developed again from scratch (!), and finally released in Japan in November 2018. A western release was planned and kicked down the road, but it's now coming out worldwide on the 7th of April.

First thoughts on the demo - I love it! It's the same old series I liked. That said, I can see it having a hard time. The original games weren't particularly polished, but were fun and had a lot of interesting ideas and a bit of charm. As may be expected, it doesn't really look like a PS4 game - more like a remastered version of a PS3 game. I'm fine with that and to be honest it still looks good in my eyes.

The basic idea is that you're in a city where an earthquake happens and you have to traverse it, avoiding danger and helping people where you can. One of the more interesting features of the series is that you can choose to be a complete scumbag if you like. This is demonstrated in the demo by - if you want - taking advantage of the panic to sell bandages at a high price to members of the public.

I'll definitely be getting it!

Just a reminder:

Comment

Played the demo for about 20 minutes, couldn't figure out how to leave the starting area and it ran like a PS2 was powering it not a PS4.

Comment

Very excited to get this. Love the previous games and will gladly buy a PS2 feeling game.

Comment

The demo is pretty rough - hopefully the main game won’t have endless conversations

Comment

Compared to the previous games, this looks to be alot more focused on the your interactions (and i guess roleplaying a character) with fellow survivors and stocking survival items like water. Demo is just the bus crash area and about 3 characters with cutscenes, helping out the school teacher gets you out of the area but ends the demo... shame, would have liked to have seen what the traversal is like when you need to start climbing.

Looking forward to playing to full game.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, will give these two episodes a go first, before making a decision whether to take the plunge.

Comment

Demo seemed fun but the performance on Switch is horrific. I'll wait for a sale on PC and brute force it to a playable state,

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
                  Thanks for the heads up, will give these two episodes a go first, before making a decision whether to take the plunge.

I thought this, but I think you need the game to play them??

Comment

Yeah, I tried downloading them, and it was not available, unless you purchase the game... weird way of going about it all...

I tried to download all the free stuff, but nothing was downloading, other than the PS4 Desktop theme.

Comment

Those two episodes are epilogues

in which you revist the city after the earthquake

, so they won't make any sense without the base game.

Comment

So basically, they were free ‘levels’ for people who buy the main game? I see...

Comment

Working...
                        X