No announcement yet.

Headhunter Redemption review in Official Xbox Magazine, 34, October 2004

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A shocking conclusion - Andy Irving and OXM exonerated. What a twist.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
      A shocking conclusion - Andy Irving and OXM exonerated. What a twist.
      Is he exonerated? What do others feel? Personally, after only seeing the Amuze letter, I am still in shock at how intense the wording was, for what amounted to something rather petty.

Here's the line that confused me, from Amuze's letter:
      There are no biking sequences in Headhunter Redemption: a fact that would be apparent to anyone who had actually played the game.
      Except, as I pointed out, there were definitely motorbikes, twice, in the first 30 minutes.

My reason for wanting to defend them was my love of the first game. The death of the franchise, prior to playing Redemption, always bothered me. Now though, my memories of getting the DC game at launch, having followed the hype for some time, of enjoying it, are now all tainted.

The weird twisting of this magazine review fiasco, painting everything a dirty shade of grey.

It's all so very, very strange.

Comment

The only thing I can think of is that the game was generally looking to poorly perform and Amuze were irritated already, the OXM review being so clumsily reviewed may have been something of a snapping point for them and OXM may have found themselves in the position of not wanting to go up against Amuze (and in a way Sega) over a short review for a non-major title so figured the quickest and easiest way was to scrub the content.

Comment

That seems... very plausible.

I want to add that I agree. Although I don't think Irving was fraudulent, it is very clumsy. Half the text is build before getting to the game, and its composition is tropes cliches, mixed in with laddish banter. Stereotypical for mags/reviews of this era.

Comment

Yeah, the quality of the review did remind me that the perhaps the writing in the games mags of my youth wasn't perhaps quite so great as I remember it. I think a lot of it was like that.

The theories that the final lines were a bit of filler from a sub editor and that the review was scrubbed simply because that was the most expedient solution both make a ton of sense.

It's not a great review, but then it's not a great game - and to be honest, it probably would have bombed anyway. 2004 also saw the release of San Andreas and MGS3. Third person action games had moved on significantly by this point, and Headhunter Redemption wasn't really up to scratch.

It's a shame Amuze didn't manage to pull it together, as the original game was genuinely really cool.

Comment

Working...
            X