Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is making a "fake" PS2 collection weird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
    Probably a stupid question but why not get an early Jp PS3 that has b/c for those elusive titles?
    Cost, high failure rate, region lock and language barrier.
    Last edited by Nico87; 30-03-2020, 18:49.

Comment

Probably a stupid question but why not get an early Jp PS3 that has b/c for those elusive titles?
      Actually managed to snag a PAL BC 60GB PS3 just now for £100. I checked some lists last night and most of the games I want that I can't get digitally offer 60hz modes!

Comment

Yes, it is.

Also you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
          Actually managed to snag a PAL BC 60GB PS3 just now for £100. I checked some lists last night and most of the games I want that I can't get digitally offer 60hz modes!
          Back of the net! Nice one mate!

Comment

[img]https://ibb.co/Cb6wCVx[/img] Quite literally beast mode

Comment

PAL BC is atrocious. lol

To elaborate: It's entirely software based, there's zero PS2 hardware in the PAL units. I only tested with a handful of games but my favourite was SVC Chaos stalling to a halt on the attract screen.
              Last edited by speedlolita; 01-04-2020, 13:15.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                PAL BC is atrocious. lol

To elaborate: It's entirely software based, there's zero PS2 hardware in the PAL units. I only tested with a handful of games but my favourite was SVC Chaos stalling to a halt on the attract screen.
                That is why I recommended an early Jp PS3 but it got poo-pood. Apparently Rebug CFW opens up the b/c to be region free.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                  PAL BC is atrocious. lol

It's not fully software based, "only" the CPU is 100% software. You might be right with regards to compatibility, but I did check a few lists and none of the games I'm after are supposed to have any issues. Bought sealed PAL copies of Haunting Ground and Klonoa 2 so will test them out in a couple of days. If it turns out to be a terrible experience I'll just get a PS2 + component cables instead.

*edit* if it doesn’t work then sod it, PCSX2 it is
                  Last edited by Nico87; 01-04-2020, 20:58.

Comment

Looking forward to photos of the collection, Nico!

That is why I recommended an early Jp PS3 but it got poo-pood. Apparently Rebug CFW opens up the b/c to be region free.
                    It might do even more than that. I use it on my PS3 Slim and can play a few PS2 games that weren't released on PSN. Tokyo Bus Guide 2 runs flawlessly. FLAWLESSLY!

There's a bunch of per-game tweaks that it can use automatically, so it's possible that a game which doesn't run well on a regular hybrid BC PS3 could run better if Rebug was installed.
                    Last edited by randombs; 02-04-2020, 01:17.

Comment

You guys convinced me. I researched some more and eventually found out that Klonoa 2 has a game breaking bug near the end. I contacted the seller as he also had a PS2 SCPH-50004 with two official controllers, two official memory cards and a PACKAPUNCH RGB cable from retrogamingcables, so we're meeting up again on Sunday for an exhange. Gonna use it on a 40" 1080p Samsung so no idea how it'll look. I won’t get an OSSC for 14 games but I might try the HD Retrovision component cables once they're back in stock.
                      Last edited by Nico87; 03-04-2020, 19:45.

Comment

Working...
                      X