Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is making a "fake" PS2 collection weird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is making a "fake" PS2 collection weird?

Long story short; I've regretted for some time now that I sold off my NTSC PSX and PS2 collections, and there's no way I'm gonna buy back the games gradually. Norway changed the import rules so you have to pay from the first £, and on top of that I'd need to import a PS2 and probably get an OSSC as well. Going PAL retro is out of the question.

Most of the best PS2 games are either available as PS2 Classics on PS3/PS3 or have been remade, remastered or ported to PS3/PS4, and by my count I'll only miss out on the Xenosaga trilogy, Valkyrie Profile 2 and Dragon Quest VIII.

So here's my plan; take all PS3/PS4 games that were originally released on PS2 out from their current, respective shelves and move them together to a separate shelf. This would be games like God of War Saga, MGS Legacy Collection, Okami HD, etc,.

Simple and lightning fast image sharing. Upload clipboard images with Copy & Paste and image files with Drag & Drop

I found a good source for cover insert prints on Etsy (no import fees on art work, documents or books), so I figured I'd get those for the games I own digitally, PS2 classics like Persona 4, Castlevania: Lament of Innocence, Rogue Galaxy, Dark Chronicles, Grandia II (Steam release), and put them in DVD covers and line them up next to the PS3/PS4 games in the photo above. In other words, a fake PS2 collection.

Is this weird? I have way too much spare time due to the Corona virus so my mind has been spinning, and so I don't know of I'm going insane or not.
    Last edited by Nico87; 28-03-2020, 17:54.

Sounds barmy - just pick up a messiah modded unit and burn baby burn

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
      Sounds barmy - just pick up a messiah modded unit and burn baby burn
      The whole point is to avoid having to buy an actual PS2 as I have all the games I want on PS3 and PS4 through either digital PS2 classics and remasters/ports. This is simply for display.

Will also pick up:

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
      Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
      Disgaea 1 Complete
      Yakuza Kiwami
      Last edited by Nico87; 28-03-2020, 19:43.

Comment

Seems like a total waste of time, energy, and resources.

Imagine all that time that could be spent playing something.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
          Seems like a total waste of time, energy, and resources.

Imagine all that time that could be spent playing something.
          Where's the waste of time? Re-arranging a shelf and inserting 14 cover inserts into DVD cases takes 10 minutes. The prints are £40 shipped from the US. I'm basically getting empty cases
          + artwork for the games I own digitally
          Last edited by Nico87; 28-03-2020, 20:45.

Comment

It's fine as long as you start (or add to) a first play thread for each game as you work through them.

Comment

You do you man. I wouldn’t personally put empty boxes on my shelf, but if it’ll make you happy, go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                You do you man. I wouldn’t personally put empty boxes on my shelf, but if it’ll make you happy, go for it.
                This.

You could always try doing your own as a lockdown project?

I would love to see a collection of fake consoles. Sonny PrayStation and the likes.

Comment

Not going to the extreme of putting empty boxes on shelves, I have considered getting a soldering station and EEPROM burner to make some repros of unreleased or translated games, and then get covers/labels printed for them to go on my shelves.

That to me is a comparatively cost-effective way to expand my collection when time is on my side to undertake these kind of projects.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                    Yeah, it'd only be for display. I'm not really into digital so this way I'll at least have something physical.

Comment

In answer to the thread title, no, man! People are ****ed up! Do what makes you happy.

Comment

Agreed, if this is whats keeping you entertained then go for it.

Comment

I quite like the idea of physical boxes for your digital games.

If the custom inserts are for the original PS2 versions, you could put something inside the box mentioning which console has the digital version installed - perhaps a disc-sized piece of paper!

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                            I quite like the idea of physical boxes for your digital games.

If the custom inserts are for the original PS2 versions, you could put something inside the box mentioning which console has the digital version installed - perhaps a disc-sized piece of paper!
                            Yup, and great idea! So far they're split between PS3 and PS4 plus Grandia II HD for PC.

It's really convenient to have such a large "PS2 collection" without having to deal with old hardware and everything that comes with it. I have close to 40 games, but I really wish that Dragon Quest VIII, Klonoa 2, Radiata Stories, Xenosaga trilogy and Valkyrie Profile 2 had digital releases on either PS3 or PS4. All of the Gust PS2 games are missing as well. I was really into both the earlier Atelier games and the ar Tonelico games.
                            Last edited by Nico87; 30-03-2020, 13:37.

Comment

Probably a stupid question but why not get an early Jp PS3 that has b/c for those elusive titles?

Comment

Working...
                              X