No announcement yet.

Retro|Spective 127: Street Fighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also in The Bill the character Tosb, when questioning some brat, tells him "This isn't Street fighter 2".

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
      Corrected.

Purple Ken was in SFII Turbo.
      I’m red-green colourblind so give me some slack... but yes I meant navy blue Ken FTW

Comment

I've needed a bit of time to collect my thoughts on this topic, as Street Fighter as a franchise is incredibly dear to me.

It might surprise people here to know that I wasn't a huge fan of SFII when it was contemporary. I mean, I played it, but I didn't own a SNES, and didn't play the MD version until a while later. I was crap at it, so I didn't really understand the fuss. The first fighter I ever got into propertly was Virtua Fighter, and that was because of MAXIMUM magazine's coverage of it, which broke down a little bit of the threory behind how the game worked. That's where I learned that there was actually strategy to fighting games.

As a result, the first SF game I really liked was Street Fighter Alpha 2 on Saturn, which obviously was a great place to start - as is shared by many here, it's one of the better titles in the series. That being said, I'm surprised to see it held up as "best".

Personally, my top titles in the franchise are Third Strike, Alpha 3, Super IV AE (specifically this version) and although it's a spinoff, Capcom Vs SNK 2.

Unlike others, I loved IV. I really did. I get that some people thought it was a step back from III, and I can't defend all of its features (I find its auto-switch SRK wakeups to be a simplification too far). Still, I played it as I was leaving Japan, and then waited excitedly for the home release once back in the UK. The first version was great, but a bit lacking in balance, and lacked the lobby feature, but Super fixed that, and Super AE pretty much perfected it. Honestly, balance is really important in a fighter and whilst Super AE certainly has a tier list, I think practically every character in the game is tournament-viable, which is a hell of an achievement for a roster of that size.

However, I feel quite bitter with Capcom for a few reasons. Firstly, I think Ultra compromised the game. The new focus move options just feel tacked on, the new backdrops looked crap, the characters were recycled from SF X Tekken and I just don't think it was universally a step forward... But cynically, I wonder if that was on purpose, because they intentionally killed the game with V.

I have no problems with games moving forward. Fighters, eSports titles, they have to progress their meta or they get stale, and die off (like Virtua Fighter did), but I just never bought V. When SF jumped from II to III, or III to IV, it brought a wholesale shakeup; I felt upon playing V that it was too familiar, and visually indistinct. It lacked the excitement of IV, though this is very much my personal tilt. I missed the boat (more-over, I just never got on it) and I'm just gonna wait for 6.

Comment

Working...
        X