No announcement yet.

Persona 5 Royal [PS4]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ended up playing all Sunday in a solid 14 hour block it was impossible to stop playing the story is so good. managed to beat the 3rd palace now upto the pyramid starting to get the hang of stat building and juggling maxing out confidants. Gotten the doctor upto the point of getting that 50% discount from her and finally got everyone equipped with a sp regen patch 3 which is helping a lot. Thanks to stealing anything that isn’t bolted down in the palaces I had a nice chunk when I sold it all which is keeping me going a lot better than trying to grind jobs for cash plus I get a nice amount while in mementos. Thanks for the tip about registering persona I forgot to do that, I have been introduced to the fusion alarm but I have no clue how to fully take advantage I just randomly made a couple of personas and their moves upgraded to more powerful ones I’m only at level 30 so the cool looking ones are locked out of reach for now.

Tried listening to their English voice track, quickly turned it back to Japanese they suit the characters a lot better in Japanese although I do notice the text is sometimes not quite following exactly what’s been said ryuji’s voice actor is my fave, had some funny moments with him. Actually learning a few interesting slang words by listening to the Japanese track it’s good practise hehe. So far the game totally lives up to the praise I haven’t played a game quite like this.

Comment

I absolutely loved P4 but I loved P5 even harder, esp given it's stylishness. Third dungeon was the best (IMO) but it took us 130-140 hrs total, so we're reluctant to dive into P5R until there's nothing left. Got Octopath, Trails 3 and 4, plus Bravely 2 to get into, so reckon it'll be a while. But it will happen, one day.

Comment

The only Persona game I played was Persona 3 on the PSP, I ended up finding it so stressful that I had to put it down. I'm well aware the fault was with me rather than the game I should clarify!

I became fixated on the ticking clock of the calendar, upcoming exams, the need to clear the tower section before the next full moon and still earn and spend time with friends for the social links. I know that's kind of the point as it's trying to replicate the stress of balancing an adolescent life but I couldn't relax enough to just live in the game.

I found it difficult to maintain an effective team of personas to have on hand to combat the range of enemy weaknesses, especially as you had to put two into the blender blind to experiment with no take backs. It often meant I would lose my good combat Persona (read as one with an attack that could get multiple targets) and end up with something mediocre in exchange.

The story was amazing though and I wish I had finished it to get that, I guess I should hunt the movies down instead!

In terms of the gameplay formula followed by Persona 3 how closely does Persona 5 follow?

Comment

Originally posted by Briareos View Post
          In terms of the gameplay formula followed by Persona 3 how closely does Persona 5 follow?
          Only played P4 and P5 but I believe P4 was a huge improvement over P3 in terms of grinding and saving, while P5 is in a whole other league. Same formula, sure, and def darker but - AFAIC - it's a near-perfect refinement. The decade gap is vast, and it shows in every area, esp the presentation. P4 followed P3 pretty quickly, and there's not a huge difference visually, given the tech, but P5 is really something else. It's a living, breathing existence. Don't expect the story to be any less ridonculous, tho. But if you like RPGs, just play it. It's incredible.

Comment

This is maybe the only game where given a choice between the English and Japanese voice track, I chose English. I actually really liked the English voicework on this, it really brought the characters to life for me. I tried the Japanese voices for a few hours but I didn't click with them in the same way.

Comment

think it's great when games give you a choice it means you can enjoy it more than one time as you can go through with both audio tracks if you like to see how it changes things. I'm doing a bit like that in dragon quest 11 on switch i played it with english voices first when i got iit on ps4 because that's all there was it wasn't till the switch version that they added japanese voices in but i have to admit it's the first time ever in a rpg game that i did enjoy the english voice track more, sylvando is still my absolute fave in that game his lines crack me up.

Going back to persona i have managed to rescue futaba and get a lot further on now in the next palace and i'm starting to fully max out some stuff which is neat as it's adding new abilities especially with confidants although futaba's support when fighting is a lot of fun and looks stupidly cool. I have maxed out a few of my confidant relationships so far and only got one rank in kindness and knowledge to go for all my social stats to be maxed out too. Spent everal hours in mementos this evening going right to the point i am stopped at getting a lot of items and exp to level up a few ranks before i tackle the palace as i try and get them done in one or two visits to maximise the amount of time i have left over to then spend doing the social side stuff. So far i'm absolutely loving this one everything is just clicking for me, all of the fun & none of the frustration i have to admit it's a little overwhelming at the start but put in the effort and you are rewarded with fun fun fun, the battles are so enjoyable that it barely feels like grinding at all. A very good sign of an rpg not many feel like that.
              Last edited by importaku; 22-05-2020, 18:47.

Comment

The deluxe version of this is selling in the PlayStation Store for £15 at the mo - I assume this would be a good purchase at that price? Thinking of adding it to my pile of shame.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                  The deluxe version of this is selling in the PlayStation Store for £15 at the mo - I assume this would be a good purchase at that price? Thinking of adding it to my pile of shame.
                  It's the deluxe version of the vanilla game, unfortunately. I believe the free DLC you get even with the base version of Royal contains all of the DLC that makes up the deluxe version of vanilla, but given Royal is a totally separate game (with new characters, storylines, tonnes of tweaks etc) and is not something you can upgrade to via DLC, you're much better waiting for a price drop on Royal.

Comment

At £9.99 on PS Store it's an absolute steal.

Started playing it this week. I'm currently coming to the end of the first dungeon (I hope!). I found it a bit head scratchy at first as I thought I could do the dungeon in one pass, but I found myself in serious need of SP about halfway through. I really love this old school turn-based combat. It's all beautifully seamed together with its amazing style. GOTY based on the look of the pause menus only

It's a real treat!

Oh and in the combat (which I'm happy to discover has been a feature of the series - thanks to Matt's P3 review), I love getting the enemies into 'HOLD UP' state!
                    Last edited by hudson; 29-05-2020, 10:48.

Comment

Thanks - hadn't realised this was a different game, looks like the list of differences is quite extensive.

I might still pick this up (it's the ultimate edition discounted from £75 -> £15 if you have PS+) as the Royal version is still selling at £50+.

Comment

Approaching the 100 hour mark and just managed to secure a route to the treasure in the 5th palace now maxed out all my social stats and also quite a few of the confadants i'm now able to make master coffee and curry so that's a help with keeping my SP levels topped up. Have to say that this game has totally blown me away both in story and game mechanics just goes to show how bland other JRPG's are in comparison (cough final fantasy cough) very few rpg games make it into my all time fave list so far there's only been 4 so far in the dozens i have played over the years but persona 5 will be in that list now and i haven't even cleared it yet everything has been a blast even if at the beginning i was feeling like it was too much to do at all times i eventually adapted and figured out what was worth juggling first to get the most useful stats and effects. I like that spending your precious limited time on certain people is eventually rewarded with some really useful abilities i never turn down an offer to hang with futaba she appeals to my nerdy ota sense lol.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                          Absolute steal.

Comment

Well at just over 130 hours my playthrough comes to an end, my goodness what an amazing game it's actually taken the spot as my most fave RPG

the final part the story twisted & turned all over the place i reached the final depths of mementos thinking that the game would end there LOL nope even after a tough battle the game kept going and another palace appeared with someone i never expected to see as the final boss. It was pretty clever that they went there the battle was tough as balls i barely scraped through and it kept going on and on with more phases appearing. Never expected Maruki to have a palace or to have to fight him as he really wasn't a bad guy so it felt very odd for the final boss, but because of it the story wasn't just some bland cliche evil bad guy for the end boss i wanted to see how the story would play out. I want to see what happens though if you agree to go with his reality i'm guessing you get a different ending.

The ending was great though i made sure to go and collect the farewell gifts from everyone i had maxed out and now i'm right back in for a second playthrough but i won't be as obsessively playing as before but the time i spent grinding social stats i can now freely use for maxing all the confadants i missed out maxing on my first playthrough plus it will be fun to see the story options change due to me having enough of the required stats to pull stuff off from the beginning.

A total masterpiece from start to end 20/10
                            Last edited by importaku; 04-06-2020, 23:44.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                              A total masterpiece from start to end 20/10
                              I really have to give this another chance, even though the idea of a 130 hr playthrough that only shows you part of the game is a bit daunting. The premise has always intrigued me but I admit I threw in the towel after 7 hours of treacle-slow tutorial.

So which other classics does it join in your RPG Top Five, Importaku?

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post

the final part the story twisted & turned all over the place i reached the final depths of mementos thinking that the game would end there LOL nope even after a tough battle the game kept going and another palace appeared with someone i never expected to see as the final boss.

That boss battle at the end of Mementos is the final boss of Persona 5 - it's only in Royal (and if you meet the true end criteria!) that the game continues on into the next year. This is why I'm trying to steer folks from buying vanilla!

But very glad you enjoyed it so much, man! As before, I can only pick minor holes in it and only really when weighing it against some of my absolute favourites that are totally different in tone (what's up, Shin Megami Tensei IV).

Comment

Working...
                                X