No announcement yet.

Taito Egret II Lockdown 21 Day Restoration - 'Romeo...done'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 7 and finally get to try out one of my polished nobs tubes!
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Day 8 down...I'm actually amazed how little time this has taken to get to an almost complete stage. The biggest wait now is for the painting to be completed.

Comment

Amazing work dude.

Would still love a cab myself but with absolutely no expereince of repairing electrical stuff or technical knowledge I doubt I'll ever get an old CRT one, the upkeep would be so far beyond me.

When the man shed is sorted after all this lockdown rubbish I will be looking to invest in a Viewlix of some description instead, will still need to learn the ropes but I feel it's going to be far less complicated then a CRT Cab

Looking forward to seeing the finished article

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
          Day 8 down...I'm actually amazed how little time this has taken to get to an almost complete stage. The biggest wait now is for the painting to be completed.
          There's nothing to them really, I've restored a couple which I still have.

Comment

Those metal bits looks incredible. Amazing service to drop them back in 1 day.

Comment

Originally posted by zipper View Post
              Those metal bits looks incredible. Amazing service to drop them back in 1 day.
              They did the other bits in a day too! Just didn't have a chance to drop by today so they are doing it Monday. They are about a 5 min drive from me, so it's no grief for them they tell me. The most impressive was the painter picking everything including the main steel bodies from the front garden

Comment

14 days down and what's left:

-Wait for the painter to finish!
                -Wait for various replacement bolts to arrive
                -Wait for 100 yen stickers to arrive from Europe
                -Decide what to do with the MDF rotate board as it doesn't look so pretty and would be nice to clean it up a bit. If anyone has any ideas let me know!
                -Buy joysticks and buttons
                -Buy side art
                -Buy cabinet stickers
                -Little bit of plating left
                -Rewire the power leads for both (probably replace them entirely), as the ground pins have been hacked off and it looks horrible.
                -Sort out the coin mechs (may leave this until they are in their final places due to having to remove the coin chute to get through doors)

What's done:
                -All metal and fibreglass collected by painter to be painted and repaired (where needed)
                -Both monitors fully polished and fine tuned
                -Both chassis' washed and recapped
                -Both PSUs recapped
                -PSU clear Taito label scanned and sent for repro
                -Cleaned most wood (bar the rotate plate)
                -Cleaned everything else that isn't being re-painted or re-plated (not much!)
                -Almost everything re-plated
                -Made up JST-end speaker leads and speakers tested via external amp
                -Bulbs tested
                -GroovyMAME machines re-configured and custom theme edited in Egret pink
                -Partially tested controls

Comment

How bad are the MDF boards that the rotating brackets are on?

I used a sander & fine sandpaper to bring mine up to scratch, If there too far gone pick some boards up from a DIY shop make new one's.

Comment

Originally posted by garrz32 View Post
                    How bad are the MDF boards that the rotating brackets are on?

I used a sander & fine sandpaper to bring mine up to scratch, If there too far gone pick some boards up from a DIY shop make new one's.
                    I spoke to my mate who is a cabinet maker, so does some really intricate stuff, and he reckons the grease has penetrated done quite a few layers so sanding won't do much. I was worried about the depth of the board re: sanding as well. Thought about making new ones, but concerned how I'd put the metal work inside. Despite being my mate for over 30 years, the sod wouldn't repro it for me!
                    Last edited by Escape-To-88; 27-04-2020, 14:56.

Comment

Aaah that's a bugger.

The metal work ain't that bad to assemble if your going down the road of replacing the board.The circle in the middle will need to be precise though and the same thickness if possible.

Will you be replacing the power lead yourself?.

Comment

Will you be replacing the power lead yourself?.
                        yeah, my dad has been an electrician for 50 years! So he's already taken a look and offered to show me how to do it. It's pretty straightforward by the looks of things. I have various US plugs as well, including US plug heads with the ground pins so sure I'll come up with something.

Comment

Cool..Once you have made one up, any chance of some pics and description of parts to use please.

My one's are the same as yours.

Comment

Cool..Once you have made one up, any chance of some pics and description of parts to use please.

My one's are the same as yours.
                            Yes mate. I've got everything written down including costs and sources Just noticed you took one of John's Taito stools. I picked up a couple from him a couple of hours ago too

Comment

fammydodd has plenty of stools you could collect.

Comment

Aye.Kept putting it off when rancor was dealing in stools , he said "Taito where putting up their prices as well"

Jumped on John's sale, bonus when it's in the UK as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X