gamecube disc faceplates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gamecube disc faceplates

Did anyone change theirs when they had their gamecube?

I seem to recall having a Zelda one (free from Cube magazine)

Where there official ones?

Yes theres official ones there were a handful of them. I remember there was a bundle that had a metroid one. There were 3 that were only available from club nintendo japan, the only one i got was the mario kart one as it appears in the battle level on the gc version of mario kart when the arena is a giant gamecube. I think one of the others was an orange one with the nook twins on and i can't remember what the 3rd one was.

This is the double dash one from club nintendo japan
    Last edited by importaku; 08-04-2020, 13:33.

Comment

I remember this Zelda one.

Comment

Never seen those

I still use a Carbon faceplate for my 360

Comment

I had a Metroid Prime one, which I think I got for a fiver off eBay way back when. I think it originally came with a MP console bundle. I liked it, but I ended up putting the original jewel back in. Can't beat the OG look IMO

I don't think we had many in PAL territories, but USA and particularly Japan had a ton, both individually and as part of console bundles. Not my picture, but here's just a few (including the Metroid one I had):

Last edited by danstan21; 12-04-2020, 06:22.

Comment

Interesting thread, I had completely forgotten that official versions were a thing. A magazine that I read at the time, NGC I think, provided a cover mounted one once which had a removable lid. They would then sometimes print different graphics in the magazine for you to cut out and insert into it.

I never had any official alternate ones though, and I eventually went back to the OG jewel, like danstan21 above (why mess with perfection?!).

I’m definitely curious as to what official versions Japan received, especially outside of console bundles.

OT, but the Hanshin Tigers Cube is a bloody great colour scheme. Reminds me of the special NGPC they did for them too.

Comment

I don't think I even knew these existed. Some marvellous combinations in that pic. What a great console this was.

Comment

My memory is returning i remember that mario party & donkey konga faceplates were from club nintendo as well. Found it amusing nintendo put those little registration points on the back to line into the nintendo logo in the lid it's a weird thing to do considering that basically nobody made 3rd party plates so it's not like they need protecting especially as it could easily be copied it reminds me a bit of the famicom disk system and the way they did something similar on the disks.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                  My memory is returning i remember that mario party & donkey konga faceplates were from club nintendo as well. Found it amusing nintendo put those little registration points on the back to line into the nintendo logo in the lid it's a weird thing to do considering that basically nobody made 3rd party plates so it's not like they need protecting especially as it could easily be copied it reminds me a bit of the famicom disk system and the way they did something similar on the disks.
                  I think it was just to ensure that they discs properly lined up and were straight when clicked into place, wasn't it, rather than a copy protection measure? It's an endearing piece of attention to detail, though - it reminds me of the rotating PlayStation logo on the PS2, which was a great touch.

Comment

That little sticking out side tab makes sure its aligned but you could be correct as even for nintendo that would seem a bit extreme to lock out a bit of plastic

Comment

I've got the Tales of Symphonia PAL French console with the faceplate on it, I had the Zelda and Resident Evil 4 ones too but they've been sold on now, I also still have the stand alone Metroid one. As mentioned most of the variants were limited to Japanese console releases or limited edition promo items there.

Comment

Most plates came with the special edition cubes, I have the Resident Evil 4 Gamecube with it, worth noting it can't be removed on the later model units of DOL-101 (That's the rubbish model that also removes the digital port, so no 480p for you either)

Details all the revision changes between DOL-001 and DOL-101

Comment

Working...
                        X