Final Fantasy VII Remake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Fantasy VII Remake

I finished the original back in the day and like many it was my introduction to JRPGs. I've played many others since, and now regard FF7 as pretty middle tier, but its importance cannot be understated. Now we have this fancy remake, and it's an odd one.

First impressions are of course strong, as the production values are through the roof. This is as close to playing a CG movie as I think we've yet come, although the word "playing" is perhaps stretching it. This is where I just can't get on board with this remake. The combat is terrible. Genuinely terrible. It's so bad it ruins the game.

If you gave up on FF15 (as I did) due to its dumbed down combat then get ready for something even less interesting. Combat in this is essentially hold down square, dodge occasionally, then when your ATB charges up you can use a potion, an ability, or some magic. The inability to use even a potion if you're out of ATB is so strange, and it usually means you can't refill your health outside of battle either. There's an alternate combat mode called "classic", which is supposed to be more turn based, but in reality just holds down square for you and Cloud auto runs to each enemy. It also lowers the difficulty to easy, making every battle comically simple, and they're already a push over on normal.

Square clearly spent a lot of money on this but in their attempt to chase the mainstream (who were willing to get on board with turn based combat with the original, and continue to be okay with it in countless Pokemon and Dragon Quest games) have dumbed down the game to the point of being flat out uninteresting. Perhaps it gets better eventually, but I'm 6 hours in so far and every battle has been a total snoozefest. A very pretty snoozefest, but dull all the same.

I think I may have to finally accept that Final Fantasy is no longer for me. Fortunately I have Dragon Quest, Bravely Default 2, Octopath Traveller, and many others that still understand what makes a JRPG work.

I kind of expected this to be a dud based on the gameplay videos I'd seen in the past, so this isn't a surprise. Still a shame though.

Ah you see, I really wanted to get this after I heard something about it that is a slight spoiler...

So far the digital download price is putting me off, sorry to hear you don't like it.

Comment

Finished it after about 45hrs, doing everything but everything but 1 fight i couldn't enter (without alot of grinding AP to cap out 1 of each magic materia) and i really enjoyed it.

Basic loop is Linear Story mission -> open slums area to side quest in and explore -> repeat, this will go one for most of the game and then final 15 hrs will be linear Story stuff from once you hit that 'point of no return'. As far as the combat goes i really enjoyed it, while the early game stuff on normal can beaten easily with just mashing attacking, once you get past the first sector7 slums quest area you find everything starts hitting harder, interrupting attacks, counter/block/resistant to melee, start resisting/absorbing magic, they'll start coming in front and back line varieties which will push you hard if you can't stagger quickly. Bosses will require you figuring out their attacks, how to counter big specials and bring down special defenses. One of the hardest fights for me was 2x missiles launchers in the back and 2 elite Flamethrowers... kick my ass hard.

One aspect i do find a strange choice is enmity, without provoke materia (doesn't workon bosses) the enemy will target whoever you are controlling, if you switch character it generally takes enemies 4 seconds to finish the attack they started and move in on the newly selected character which is vital time to cure/buff or go for stagger with low chance of getting your magic cast or weaponskill squashed and this plays in to a few boss fights so you can hit weak points from behind.

You can also Magic Heal and use items outside of battle at anytime by pressing X to bring up the ATB menu, strange anyone could miss that for 6 hours.

All the weapons you collect throughout the game don't replace each other, you get points to spend on weapons to level them up (whether you using them or not) and they all have special niches for letting characters play in different way, like balanced att/magic/def or full magic or more/connected materia slots, or strange stuff like Cloud getting the joke baseball bat again and it's still a critical hit monster or Barret getting melee moveset instead of shooting. The game promotes using every weapon so you can unlock the weaponskill attached to it for all the other weapons to use.

the characters will play different too, Cloud is your allrounder, has a little of everything with physical and magical weapon skills, and comes into his own with the punisher stance's counter(more of a cross-counter) allowing for some crazy stagger bonuses if you decide you eat some reduced damage for it. Tifa is your pressure machine, all her attacks and weaponskills combo into each to other (so using chi uppercut which is a dragon punch move into the air and then divekick eliminates divekicks startup jump and goes straight into the kick), pressuring an enemy allows for quicker stagger build up, and once you stagger an enemy her Strength(chi) moveset increases the damage bonus multpiler for everyone hitting. Barret is range attacker and tank, and also pretty good with magic. Aerith for you pure magic damage and skills which allow party members to double up magic attacks for free or save ATB bars.

As for story, i enjoyed it including the ending.

i'd kept myself spoiler free, so the ghosts which became 'fate ghosts' which appear throughout the game really didn't click until Jessie couldn't go on the sector 5 run and certainly when the evacuation order for sector 7 plates went out changing history and other little things like protecting characters from exiting the story too early. Still there's enough mystery left to make me want to see what happens next, mainly how did this new time loop started. I did look up what Sephiroth meant about the 7 seconds which happens to be the original Aerith death cutscene death, being 7 seconds from Seph appearing to skewering her which opens the thread to stop it happening. Shame Jessie's still dead, i liked her character and Biggs survival was strange one to, looks to much like Charlie Sheen

Finishing the game opens hard mode, additional arena fights and old Bosses get new attacks and additional helpers, you also can't use items... other stuff is chapter select opening up so you can go back collecting weapons/materia/music cd's missed and do missed side quests. EXP is doubled and AP(materia exp) is tripled do you can grind that 12 magic materia report to open

Bahamut fight and summon materia

Last edited by Tobal; 17-04-2020, 20:59.

Comment

[MENTION=938]Tobal[/MENTION]

It's actually Sephiroph showing Cloud a vision of the world 7 seconds before it ends. If you open the map screen and press L2, you get chapter discriptions that mention it under Chapter 18

Comment

This site basically on its last legs now? Probably the biggest game of the year and PS1 classic gets released and only a handful of replies to a first play thread!

Comment

I'm surprised it's not getting more attention on here. We are a funny bunch on this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
              I'm surprised it's not getting more attention on here. We are a funny bunch on this site.
              I want it, but the price is way too high for what sounds like quite a short experience. I'm just sitting here waiting until it gets to about £25 and then I'll be on it.

Comment

The site does need pimping, yeah. Most of us found the site trying to play dreamcast imports, I bet. Well, I did! Without that need anymore it's retroheads I guess. And these days its all about twitter and instagram for that stuff.

Comment

I too am waiting for the price to drop.
                  Ill be honest, I can't remember how I came to this site. I probably googled something that led me here.

Comment

The same could be said about a number of big hitters (felt like about three or four of us playing Doom Eternal) ... there are simply more games around and coming thick and fast than there have ever been. Great games too. And there are free games with + and Gold. Game Pass games. Games in piles of shame. Game overload is the problem. It's not a bad problem, but the new game launch boom feels like more of a fizzle these days.

I was mega hyped for RE3make but I didn't bother because I had too many games either on the go or waiting to start. That wold have never happened any other gen.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                      The site does need pimping, yeah. Most of us found the site trying to play dreamcast imports, I bet. Well, I did! Without that need anymore it's retroheads I guess. And these days its all about twitter and instagram for that stuff.
                      Not to totally derail the thread, but thy is is a valid point. Can this site actually migrate to Twitter/Instagram for example? It will probably get a massive influx of traffic from hashtags alone. Mods would have course be inundated with extra work monitoring, but it will definitely spruce up the chatter in here (well, on the selected social media platform).

This should probably be in the blue room thread.

But to keep this on topic, yes, I too am waiting for the inevitable price drop, I am in no real rush to play this game. It just isn’t that high up on my to play list.

Comment

Been a user here since 20 years or so even before the forum migrations. Just seems a shame to watch here dwindle into obscurity but the sands of time and all...

Yeah the game is fun I cleared it in about 33 hours. Not too sure on the changes tho...

Comment

Despite planning on skipping it I ended up with it and I'm - I think - getting into the back end of Chapter 2. Coming from someone who doesn't think FFVII is all that great and was mostly a hit because western gamers previously ignored the genre but suddenly saw one with fancy looks and Tifa's chest... I'm quite enjoying it. It's decent fun but probably... perhaps damningly for fans... because it feels like FFVII mostly only in aesthetics

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
                            Not to totally derail the thread, but thy is is a valid point. Can this site actually migrate to Twitter/Instagram for example? It will probably get a massive influx of traffic from hashtags alone. Mods would have course be inundated with extra work monitoring, but it will definitely spruce up the chatter in here (well, on the selected social media platform).
                            You'll lose people though. Part of the reason I like this place is that it's relatively isolated from that junk.

I know "forum culture" is supposed to be dying off but making this into a Twitter community won't fix that.

Comment

Other than cranking the difficulty up I'm finding this to be one of the most straight forward RPG's I've played in years. Thanks to how much JRPG's struggle to hold my attention these days I put this on at Easy thinking it would minimise my frustrations. It has, perhaps too much, the game feels a lot like a walk along beat em up. I'm finding it's taking me about an hour per Chapter to get through it and I'm now about halfway through Chapter 8. What's interesting is, in the introductory part of the game where you first visit the slums there are several side missions which are mostly going from A-B and killing enemies. I left the area with two missions outstanding so have missed them now, bar that though I don't feel like I've skipped anything so far and that the game is simply very linear.

That suits me perfectly but I can imagine how fans could get annoyed at how straight forward the game is. I'd definitely recommend keeping the difficulty up but otherwise this is the surprise of the year for me so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X