No announcement yet.

The Lockdown, Up-skill, Tear-down, Catch-up and Refurb Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm about to fully automate my career. If I get 1,000 customers paying between $5-$10 per month I can retire. I just need to spend some money on ads once I launch.

It's make or break.

I'm also in the process of ripping up the old garden and putting a lawn down. The manure arrives today.

Comment

The cheesecake and katsu curry was a success

I followed this lady's guide if anyone fancies giving it a go - https://twitter.com/yuko_in_dublin/s...25698062004230

Comment

Paints and associated stuff arrived today.

Made a start painting the boy's room. He chose the colour - cornflower blue. Looks really nice.

Finished the right side garden fence too and made a start on the left but that side is a bit trickier as most panels need slats securing with a nail gun (oh yeah!!) and lifting out to out in new concrete base boards as the current wooden ones are rotten. This is an external fence so people see it on the public footpath next to the house.

Finished the single-player campaign on Crackdown 3.

Comment

After remembering this clip:

I decided to try and make Super Crack TM. I'm having some problems, maybe need better baking soda. There should be books on this stuff, but there just aren't.

I've found some roughnecks to help me distribute it, with them kicking back a share of the takings but these idiots think it's a pyramid scheme. It's multi level marketing, I keep trying to tell them. ABC - always be cracking on.

Anyway, with the recent crisis I might market it as a lung cleaning product with nice after effects. Been listening to a lot of 90s rap and watching Scarface ten times a day.

Comment

After a conference call with work earlier it would appear that my furlough is going to continue (at least) until my firm have to start paying a contribution towards it.

The list of stuff to sort in the house is pretty long and I now have the added deadline of late September due to arrival of t3ddy.

The three main bedrooms are now painted and furniture in place.

My daughter's room needs Louvre doors for her built-in wardrobe and the main bedroom needs to have the ceiling fan taken out and replaced with a pendant fitting.

The fourth bedroom has a narrow door and a stupid window that the previous owners put in where they were using it as a home office / workspace. The problem with that is it lets in too much natural light on the stairs which wakes the other kids up in the mornings.

Our next door neighbour is a carpenter with 40 years experience and he is going to remove the window and put yhe door in it's place and then put up a wall where the door used to be. I can then start to decorate this room.

Phew.

The garage conversion done by previous owners is a bit **** - wonky wall, gas meter in a random cupboard on the wall, ****ty decorating. I've filled all the holes and dents in the room and am ready to paint that which will then be the kids playroom.

Can't do anything about flooring anywhere until places start to open.

On top of this I've been playing 3 hours or so of Days Gone every night - digital crack!!

I've also started on the Couch to 5k app. I've only done a couple so far but my hope is that I can be most of the way through before I head back to work. If I can get into the mindset of getting up at 6.30am I can go for a.run before the whole morning shenanigans begin when I start back at work.

EDIT: Just had a really in depth discussion with the wife and we've come to the realisation that the garage conversion is too big for a playroom (read: we're spoiling the kids). The location of the gas meter is about a third of the way down the length of the garage so we're going to see if it is possible to put up a partition wall across the room where the meter finishes and I can use the far end of the room as my own little man cave which is what the fourth bedroom was supposed to be before I went and, well, ya know... got "overly-excited"...
            Last edited by teddymeow; 13-05-2020, 19:51.

Comment

Been working hard on our kitchen. I hate decorating kitchens, it's the second one I've done. All the cupboards are in and smart now. Tiles are done. Most of the walls are painted, but I'm still waiting for the plaster. 3 weeks it's been. Until I can plaster the walls at the far end I can't paint the rest. Kitchens are slow enough to do, but waiting so long for stuff is painful.

Comment

Have started the selling for the new camera kit, PS Vita, Nikon 7-15 x 35 bins, Nikon D610 and Fuji S2 Pro have all gone.
                Next on the list;
                Nikon 85mm f1.4
                Nikon TC2 III
                Nikon D4
                Nikon 200mm f2 VRII
                PS3 pack
                Scanner

Comment

Spent the weekend painting the playroom (Moon Shadow from Wickes of anyone cares) and ordered the wood and plasterboard for the partition to be built.

Earliest delivery is 4th June though.

Fourth bedroom wall / door swap is happening next week at some point which will be great too.

Finally finished Days Gone story mode and have given myself until the end of Sunday (24th May) to do the remainder of the side quests and levelling up. After that I plan to do the Horizon Frozen Wilds DLC or another playthrough if TLOU before Part 2 releases.

Did another week of couch to 5k too.

Comment

Painted the lounge today.

Warm enough that by the time I'd finished the first coat it was time to go around with the second.

Absolutely shattered!! Half term next week and the wife has taken the week off so she's on early wake up with the kids.

Comment

So, I got a heatsink clip for the old Xbox, fitted it, soldered the TSOP write points, then got distracted and ****ed the Xbox by flashing the wrong size bios with the wrong flasher for the type of EEPROM in my Xbox

Now I've had to pay for Kynar wire and a modchip (on top of the broken Xbox I had to buy). So much for a free, quick job.

Still, I did setup the robomower in the back garden and it's working a treat. Now I just need to cut the front lawn and tend to the bushes, the ivy, etc.
                      Last edited by gunrock; 29-05-2020, 12:06.

Comment

Booked next week off. Got a load of timber and stuff to build a deck so I guess I will be doing that! New compound mitre saw, circular saw and a cordless drill to male the job less irksome.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                          Booked next week off. Got a load of timber and stuff to build a deck so I guess I will be doing that! New compound mitre saw, circular saw and a cordless drill to male the job less irksome.
                          Hope you've got your PPE.

Seriously, make sure you have some eye protection.

Comment

Been a bit quiet the last couple of weeks. School run (half days) kind of outs a spanner in the works of starting a big project and I've been feeling very lethargic recently - real struggling to get out of bed stuff!

Still, eldest is back at school for whole days (Mon - Thurs) but youngest not back at nursery for another week.

Plasterer came round last week and sorted out where the fourth bedroom door was moved so that's now ready for decorating. I'm currently having a nice cup of tea before going back out in the garden to rip up the decking down the right side of the garden. It's been there for about 20 years according to our neighbours but it doesn't appear to have ever been treated so it's spongy and crumbling.

Going to keep a thin strip of decking down the right to allow access to both sides of the raised beds we're going to put in.

Comment

I've pretty much finished the kitchen. Just waiting for some blinds to come.
                              Made a large magnetic blackboard for the kids. Had to give the wood 11 coats to get the magnetism up. I'd advise just getting a sheet of metal and painting that if you plan on one.

Comment

I’ve finally finished painting the kids old playroom. Got a new bookcase and more importantly, a tv unit coming for my new AV equipment, tomorrow.

Not sure if we will ever get out the habit of calling it the playroom. Calling it the cinema room feels far too pretentious for me.

Weather permitting, next week I’ll start painting the fencing in the back garden. It’s not been touched since we moved in (14 years ago), so I imagine it’ll need more than 1 coat, which sucks!

Comment

Working...
                                X