Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I played through Portal with my son too, such a treat. I think Portal and its sequel are sublime. Even the closing tracks by Jonathan Coulton are brrrrilliant.

Obviously more EDF5. It's nice playing with Prin, RandomBS and Katsu, but there's a decent selection of players.
    Ended up with some 100% whales and they're doing a lot of damage, but I swear they've got hacked saves.

I'm at the point where I'm just chipping away through the completion percentage. I'm at 83% and about 7ish runs left on Hardest difficulty, then on to Inferno.
    I'm determined to 100% it just in time for EDF6 to start the cycle again!

As for other games, I was going crackers because my daughter was watching other people play Luigi's Mansion 3, when we actually have Luigi's Mansion 3!
    I said I'd rather she play it though with me than do that, so I reconnected the Switch to the projector and we started playing together.
    It's co-op after the first few sections, which meant I played the first section whilst she gave me hints on where to go, then when available, I became Gooigi and she was Luigi and it's lovely because she's definitely more confident as we're progressing. Even my son (who has completed it) was giving advice so it was nice that the 3 of us were getting involved.

She plays a very different style to me, though where she'll race through and I'll explore every nook and cranny!
    She literally walked into one room, couldn't see anything and walked out and I had to suggest me might have a mooch first and then found loads of gold and a gem!

Comment

I got VisualPinballX up and running last night after a fair bit of tinkering (the Mac port that exists now is pretty poorly documented so I kind of stumbled my way through but it was gratifying to get everything working correctly).

It's setup by default to work with an Xbox pad, with the launcher and tilt mapped to the d-pad and flippers on the bumpers. Rumble is also enabled, so you get some nice force feedback from everything that happens on-screen.

It's great! I put some time into Medieval Madness, which is such a superb table, and the physics feel really weighty and authentic. I just love that game, too. JOUST....PEASANT...DAMSEL...MULTIBALL MAAAADNEEEESSSS!!!

Apart from the gameplay, the humour of the voice acting on that table is a lot of fun and has a great vibe. The different 'Kings' who own the castles that you have to destroy - including a Frenchman who keeps threatening to turn you into 'french fries' or 'french toast', and the New Jersey style mobster one - and of course the 'Valley Girl' style damsels, are really well written.

I've also downloaded Attack from Mars and Addam's Family but haven't put much time into those yet. I'm not familiar with those tables at all but the former in particular is reputedly up there with Medieval Madness in terms of quality, so I'm looking forward to spending more time with it to learn it.
      Last edited by wakka; Yesterday, 08:41.

Comment

Sounds really good fun and surprisingly well-written for a pinball game, but how are you playing them?

I'd be tempted to make something like this:

Holy smokes, look at this one - imagine the shmup opportunities too!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          I'd be tempted to make something like this
          Check out this setup a friend of mine made: https://www.instagram.com/jamfactory/p/CuWvn-atnUX/

Comment

That Duplo one is amazing and would be so cool for a playroom if you have kids. I really like the 'build with what you have' ethos, too.

I like the second one you posted too QC. That would actually fit in pretty well in a home, too.

I'm just playing on my desktop monitor I'm afraid, using an Xbox pad. I did try disconnecting my laptop from it and TATEing the laptop onto its side and playing that way, too, which worked pretty well, but then the dot matrix display disappears from view (plus there isn't really room for it since the playfield takes up the whole screen). The software is incredibly customisable so I'm sure there's a way to fix that, but it's not user friendly at all - at least, the Mac port isn't, since it runs from the command line. Documentation is pretty bare bones, too.

I don't really have room for a cab right now and I'm not very handy with building stuff, either, so I'll just have to stick with my basic setup at present having fun though. I really want to try some newer Stern pinball tables next, as I've mostly just played classic 90s stuff on Pinball Arcade, Pinball FX, and now this. The Godzilla and Metallica ones look really cool.

You guys should install VisualPinballX and give it a try. I think it's easier to get running on Windows, which I believe you both use, too.
            Last edited by wakka; Yesterday, 11:01.

Comment

Godzilla and Metallica?

I might check it out. Do you get it via Steam then buy more tables?

I want to get the Universal PSVR tables for Jaws and BttF.

Comment

No, it's completely homebrew. All of the tables are made by fans and released for free. For that reason it's in legally questionable territory, but the community doesn't make reproductions of new tables (they always leave it a few years, I think), and they won't make reproductions of tables if they're specifically asked not to by the manufacturer (which is the case for tables by at least one producer).

You can find out more here:

The tables are all available on there too. For each table you need a VPX file and the ROM file. You can find the VPX files on VPUniverse, and it will tell you which ROM you need on the table page. Just google for it and you'll find it.

Comment

I watched some videos of the Godzilla and Metallica tables and they look great, but it did remind me how rubbish I am at pinball, apart from Revenge of the Gator.

Comment

Honestly, it's really pretty tricky. Because VPX is a lot more realistic than most virtual pinball games, it's actually tougher too (but there's also more latitude for skilled playing, tossing the ball from one flipper to the other, etc).

I've been having a lot of extremely short games where I basically score bugger all, although I did get one okay run on Medieval Madness.

It's a knack, though, I find - once you get into a good flow it's incredibly satisfying. It's when the ball is pinging everywhere and out of control that you die quickly.

Comment

Working...
                    X