Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FF7 remake. Quite conflicted about the whole thing. Without question, it is absolutely drop dead gorgeous - like a playable CG movie, and totally silky smooth. There's a lot of fun and some quite brilliant takes on parts of the soundtrack, too. On the other hand, it's soaked up a lot of what I find disappointing in AAA games; long walk-and-talk sections, lots of load-time-masking from crawling under things and shimmying through tight spaces, cutscene -> set piece -> cutscene design... and then really specifically in comparison to the original, there's how it's gone into utterly exhaustive detail of what's normally a small part of the original game, that is quite repetitive in its use of environments.

The battle system seems to have some depth, but given it's much more action-orientated, it's also a pain in the ass given how tightly the camera sticks to your back and how poorly the lock-on keeps up - it's very easy to go from full to empty following a series of attacks if you didn't see the first one being lined up off-screen.

Comment

Finished PS4 Spiderman (or Spider Man as they insist on writing it). Was great. Joins Batman Arkham City on my superhero list of honour. The map was littered with busywork which usually annoys the heck out of me but the spidery traversal was such a pleasure it wasn't a chore to mop them up. A decent yarn and baddies, esp. the story/transformation arc of Doc Oc.

Put about a couple of hours into Undertale, and so far it's wall-to-wall corny jokes, a gimmicky 'don't fight' fight mechanic, and graphics that step beyond the knowingly/ironically lo-fi into the 'actually quite ugly' territory. I'm not sure I get the adulation it's received and I'm glad I only spent £2.50 on it on Steam, but I'll soldier on.

Comment

Hmmmm. On XB1 ASSASSIN'S CREED UNITY, one I didn't know I'd nabbed on GWG and, apparently, it's 'that bad one'.

But has it been bad, so far? Nah, not at all, the prologue looked great and didn't glitch at all and now I'm at the bit where you're controlling the little boy in the Palace of Versailles and it looks lush, magical.

They must've patched it because this looks pretty damn good, to me!

Comment

Friday round up:

Nintendo 3DS
          Getting to the end of the Third Area in this, seems to dole out one new Pikming type per area now so I'm assuming there's five or six in total

Nintendo Switch
          Benched TWD Season 2 after two episodes to start Paper Mario: The Origami King

PlayStation 4
          Ghost of Tsushima, mixed feelings so far but it's the main focus

PC
          Part way through setting up Clone Hero with playlists and backgrounds. Deep into needing to start clearing stuff though to free up HDD space and I have a lot of backlog games installed waiting to go like Life is Strange 2, Saints Row 3 Remastered, Death Stranding etc.

Comment

Not that much this week due to working later. When I have its been done rounds on SFV and a little more progress through Judgment. I'll get back to the latter and clear it though as I still have a fair number of games on the shelf I would like to check out.

Comment

Just finished Halo 2 Anniversary on PC.

These games are sooooooo good.

One weird thing is that they just... finish. You get the last cut-scenes, then it's a black screen for a few seconds, then back to the MCC menu like nothing happened!

It's not a big deal considering all three games are installed and ready to go, but it's all suddenly over.

At the end of Halo 2, I was the Arbiter shooting up some guy with a big hammer. After I killed him, I walked towards an object on the ground and then the screen faded to white and a cut-scene started. Then the one with the tentacle monster. Then black screen. Then main menu.

There's always YouTube, I guess...

Comment

Playing through the new wave of Switch games that arrived..

Sushi striker is more fun than it should be it looks a little shovelwary but there's a solid game behind the basic visuals the story is hillariously weird but playing the levels is seriously addictive and it keeps changing as you level up with the way you can add new sprites & gear into your load out as well as choosing which will be your favourite sushi. Plus that intro song is absolutely fantastic worth it for that alone, a surprisingly cheap game at 1000 yen for the physical version seems most people ignored it.

Also enjoying word puzzle mojipittan this one is a little strange as while i can play it in Japanese the game relies on you having a great grasp of Japanese vocab as you need to know a lot of words to complete the harder puzzles but i use these games as a learning aid i can easily tackle the lower levels but when it's asking you to create 10 letter words in a combo string i find myself totally out of my dempth lol but i have loved this series from back on the gba. Nice that most of the older songs have returned as well as the online mode as i used to enjoy playing against random Japanese people on the wii version there's a lot of game here as there's over 800 stages so this one is gonna last me years keeps me learning though as i can look through the word lists i have used in the puzzles to learn more stuff.

Comment

Friday Round Up:

Nintendo 3DS
                  Less progress this week but about to start Area 7 on Hey Pikmin!

Nintendo Switch
                  Late in the first 'World' of Paper Mario: The Origami King. Obscenely easy game so far but still early, looks lush throughout though. Enjoying it but gets little playtime per week atm.

PC
                  Still in a holding pattern but if I play it I'll be on Mario Kart Arcade GP DX

PlayStation 4
                  Ghost of Tsushima, ready to plough on an spend less time on side missions as I'm still in Region One and it is admittedly a very samey gameplay experience.

Comment

Halo 3

I’m playing this as it was meant to be played - in 720p

There’s a wonderful sense of scale, and so much going on around me. It’s wicked, but I’m still not used to the new controls. I keep throwing bubble shields instead of opening doors!

Comment

My Sunday has been completely swallowed up by Ruiner on PS4.

I bought this absolutely ages ago but couldn't really get in to it despite loving the look of it. Was desperately looking for something new to play today so thought I'd download it again and give it another go, this time it's totally clicked with me though and I'm really enjoying it.

Comment

That looks good, Colin!

Mainly just finished off the story in Diablo III, although I did "dip into" the rift missions for "5 minutes" and ended up going to bed at 1:30 in the morning. What a tit.

Comment

Outside of the last couple of weeks I havent played much in ages so I played through Oxenfree on Switch, which was ace. Friday I finished up Stories Untold on Switch and began GRIS. Alongside this I'm working through MyTeam on NBA 2k20 on PC, assembling my favourite players of my yoof, which is rather fun.
                          3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Started God of War on PS4 again. Its just so good in every conceivable way, loving every second.

Comment

Been playing a cool little indie game on XB1 called OMEGA STRIKE, it was sub-£2 a wee bit back. Really good fun to play, it's like a Metal Slug-themed Metroidvania sorta thang, nowhere near as hectic as the former tho, just has a very clean, 2D arcade military look n' feel.

Very good so far!!!

Comment

Seeing as Cuphead made it to PS4 i decided to double dip and have a late night session or unil i get pissed off enough and call it a night, enjoyed it immensely on PC, so far whupped the first 4 bosses and done a few of the run & gun levels it's always a pleasure to play but i'm a bit rusty plus i'm having to relearn the buttons as on PS4 they feel a bit odd i'm tempted to map the dash to the back button to make it easier. Seems in the PS4 version they let you pick between mugman & cuphead on start of the game i certainly didn't see that in my PC copy. Really is a game like no other out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X