Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started on the outer wilds first impressions are frustrating the controls are not intuitive but as i persevere i'm getting used to controlling myself and my ship in space. Made it to a planet called brittle hollow and somehow screwed up and fell into a black hole so i'm sat there floating in space thinking crap i'm doomed and i saw a little space station float past so i made my way there and ended up discovering the white hole transport network. Totally absorbed in the puzzles & mystery as i translate my way through the logs, now enjoying it a hell of a lot more.

Comment

PlayStation 5
      Still Lego Dimensions. I'm going to wrap up my time with it as I love the concept but it's reminded me that fundamentally the gameplay of these games gets really boring so I'm tapped out.

PC
      Nothing much at the moment, thinking of swinging back to a focus on PSVR titles

Switch
      Super Mario 3D World currently halfway into World 5, 100% all the way. So far revisit suggests one of the easiest Mario games released.

Comment

Another fair amount of Destruction All-Stars on PS5 as I find it really helps me switch my brain off before bed.

Control UE on PS5 as well. Just a fantastic game with an amazing style and aesthetic. The 60fps transforms the combat.

Knack as I really fancied some straight forward platforming action. Playing on Easy mode as it's bloody difficult!!

Comment

The Medium (XS)

It’s creepy as heck. The voice acting is atrocious, but the soundtrack and atmospheric effects are incredible. At one point, what sounded like rumbling thunder turned into a deep, evil laugh that filled the sky. The surround sound is perfect. The visuals are sublime, especially the other-worldly stuff: infinite grotesque, contorted figures frozen in time, stretching into the horizon; limbs clawing out from walls; hellish screams echoing around the place. Not to be outdone, the real world location is a gloomy resort in Poland where a massacre is said to have taken place. The overcast weather plays havoc with your imagination as you wonder if that weird shape in the mist is a demon or just the engine loading assets

It has its foibles, but otherwise this game is a Kracow.

Comment

Today i picked up a couple of new indie puzzlers of the playstation store as both intrigued me.

Gorogoa is like nothing i have played before it's like an interactive panel puzzle game where you move several panels around but you can go into them and zoom out or layer them on top of each other while you solve the puzzle and continue the story it's too hard to put into words but the art & music is fantastic as is the story that's told through images alone.

The other is called the gardens between, spotted it for £3.99 and the artstyle totally sold it to me. It's stunningly pretty, two friends that no longer get along as they used to end up in a weird time controlled environment where you can forward or reverse time. The mechanic is a lot of fun as things move around as you manipulate time in really pretty diorama type levels but later on you also get other abilities on top of it. All revolve around controlling the environments you are in, they are surreal dreamscapes of both of your memories. If you do manage to light & place the lantern in the pedestal at the top of the level a fragment will restore if you do it the required amount of times in a level area then you get to see a charming restored memory of how you were friends. Really liking this one a lot.
            Last edited by importaku; 27-02-2021, 15:43.

Comment

Finished the last stage of Gorogoa today my goodness it was amazing the puzzles are so damn clever in how you manipulate and line up the panels to continue the story, still can't figure out what the story was it's very odd no idea if it's supposed to be some mythical creature or an actual deity. Controlling the memories of yourself both old & young at the same time on parts was very clever.

I was wondering why i was so drawn to the art of this game then i remembered where i had seen something like it before. there's an artist called Luigi Serafini who created the most amazing book called the codex seraphinianus and the hundreds of coloured pencil art in that huge tome has a very similar artstyle. The only downside to the game is once you know how to complete the game the solution is the same every time but i'll go back from time to time to enjoy seeing it again.

Comment

Onrush. Thought I'd give it a go and now I'm on the last set of races, I may as well finish it, but mu god, it's FOOKIN' ****E!!! Awful choices with the design, I'm not sure where to start!

Takedowns: If you get a takedown, no replay. You get taken down? Full slow motion replay AND the 3 second penalty to rejoin. This is a MAJOR ball ache if you're playing the Capture mode, where time is critical. Why not just have the option to turn replays off?

Takedowns(AGAIN): Take out an opponent? What does the game do? Does it A. Auto take control so you can carry on, or B. Just let you keep going through the slow motion effect and crash into a wall? I'll give you a clue. IT'S NOT THE GOOD ANSWER!

Vehicle choice: Some races you're locked to a bike. All well and good when the other racers are mixed, but when you're the only delicate bike vs 6 of what are basically tanks? Jokes man!

In game challenges: On the final set of events, some of the challenges FORCE you to lose rounds. Not so bad when your AI team mates are competent, but they go from being Colin MacCrae, to Colin the old guy in the mobility scooter, seemingly AT RANDOM!

Music: I can't hear anything now, my ears are bleeding from this cod**** soundtrack!

Funny thing is, I refuse to let it beat me!

And also been playing a bit more Super Turbo and also still being a bit crap at it. Started Atelier Sophie on PS4 as well, but that seems a bit meh so far.

Comment

[MENTION=2206]MonkeyJuggleDX[/MENTION]

I thought the exact same thing. Underneath it, it's a fun arcade crash-a-thon. It just needed that extra lick of paint to finish it off.
                  EA own it now so we'll never see another again for what it's worth.

Comment

Fired up Tekken 7 last night after @shinobi7000 told me it's on sale.

Really good fun and it felt good to be back in the saddle as I think the last one I played properly was Tag.

It's so bombastic with loud music and the commentator shouting all the time, but it definitely gets the blood pumping.
                    Only played offline, but I completed the arcade mode as King without breaking a sweat.
                    Started the story mode and it bloody goes on a bit. TL: DR Heihachi is a bit of a dick and an awful parent.
                    Last edited by QualityChimp; 02-03-2021, 13:03.

Comment

I've gone back to FFXIV. One of the things I've liked with Yoshi P's direction of the game is that he knows that while the hardcore player base will grind away day in day out, he's also been vocal about delivering a great experience to those folks who want to dip in and out, experiencing the expansions like standalone games you play along with your mates. I used to be in the former camp, but am now very much in the latter.

I had to clear out the last couple of patches of Stormblood first, but I'm now making good progress with Shadowbringers. I'm liking it, but there's no denying that the game is now showing its age - there's still some great environmental design, but there's a lot of sparseness in the world too, and texture quality in particular is not doing so great, quite regularly jutting out with some horrible pixelated bits, even on prominent main story characters. Crucially though there's still some great writing underpinning things, and there's mountains of depth when it comes to learning encounters and how best to play your role. My free company are also a very good sort; they lapse in and out of the game too but have done a much better job keeping on top of things, and even when not playing we keep in regular contact, so going back while everyone else is current subbed is particularly nice. I plan to be fully up to date by the time Endwalker is released so I can play along with them this time!

Comment

Mainly CoD Cold War multi-player. I just keep jumping back in. So much fun, especially with a couple of mates. Wreckfest was a laugh too on Friday night, though it hasn't got the easiest of front ends to get the kind of game you want ... was harder than it should be to be in a party and jump into an online game together. Great fun though. Another treat from the mighty Gamepass.

Been continuing with Pikmin 3 too. Still a wonderful chill out game. Love the feeling of closing the day having seen a little more.

Also picked up Ninja Saviour in the sale. It's very nice looking and sounding but the gameplay wasn't knocking my socks off straight away. I'm sure it'll get better as it gets busier but I feel the likes of SoR4 have spoiled me a little on the modern-take-on-a-classic front.

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                        Gorogoa is like nothing i have played before it's like an interactive panel puzzle game where you move several panels around but you can go into them and zoom out or layer them on top of each other while you solve the puzzle and continue the story it's too hard to put into words but the art & music is fantastic as is the story that's told through images alone.
                        Hadn't heard of this but liked the sound of your posts. Currently downloading on my Switch

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          Also picked up Ninja Saviour in the sale. It's very nice looking and sounding but the gameplay wasn't knocking my socks off straight away. I'm sure it'll get better as it gets busier but I feel the likes of SoR4 have spoiled me a little on the modern-take-on-a-classic front.
                          Do you think this would work better on a Switch or on the big screen on my PS4?
                          It seems a nice fit for the Switch, but the PS4 version is reduced, at last.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            Hadn't heard of this but liked the sound of your posts. Currently downloading on my Switch
                            Will be interesting to see what someone else makes of it as i haven't seen many people play it, it's short but while it lasts it's amazing. Someone did a fantastic youtube video of the explanation of the story it's deeper than i could have imagined. Once you complete Gorogoa it will be worth a watch but definitely don't till you have done the game as it's a massive spoiler, the story was very subtle that my dumb ass didn't pick up on a lot of it while playing so it's great showing how everything is supposed to pan out in the story.
                            Few games of the past decade have been as important to me as Gorogoa. It's a beautiful game with a powerful message. So here is my attempt at a full story an...

Finally finished the gardens between this evening, beautiful from start to finish the ending was pretty sad but it explains everything and the reason for going through your memories together.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              Do you think this would work better on a Switch or on the big screen on my PS4?
                              It seems a nice fit for the Switch, but the PS4 version is reduced, at last.
                              I very rarely play Switch handheld so it’s tv screen most of the time for me. If on sale and it’s your kind of game, or even better you have a nostalgic connection to the old games, then it’s worth a punt. I’ve yet to play couch co-op yet and I think it’ll fare far better that way.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                                Will be interesting to see what someone else makes of it as i haven't seen many people play it, it's short but while it lasts it's amazing. Someone did a fantastic youtube video of the explanation of the story it's deeper than i could have imagined. Once you complete Gorogoa it will be worth a watch but definitely don't till you have done the game as it's a massive spoiler, the story was very subtle that my dumb ass didn't pick up on a lot of it while playing so it's great showing how everything is supposed to pan out in the story.
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSrF...nel=BoukenJima
                                Ive just spent an hour with it and I love how it explains nothing, leaving you to experiment and think and apply different methods. Very satisfying when something clicks. I did get stumped on something, walked away for a few mins, came back and sussed it. Then I got stuck again and that's how I've left it. Very enjoyable so far. Super creative mind on whoever made it. I'll check out that vid once I get through it, cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X